Is it Wrong that I Only Want to Apply to Certain Regions of the Country?

HelpWithAFOQT

Question

Usually when it comes to applying to guard units, the common advice given is "cast a wide net." This is fine and I understand it. However, I'm very interested in a few regions of the country such as the Northeast, Great Lakes and mountain states. I've been only applying to units in those areas. I have hobbies I love doing and want to continue to do such as playing hockey and snowboarding. I also enjoy having four seasons and I look forward to winter. I've been hoping that maybe having certain hobbies that pilots in those units will too and it shows I can bond or click with them. It seems a lot of groups I am part of, people just apply everywhere and flat out say they don't care where they live but they don't seem to have many interests outside of flying or the military. But to me, location does matter a lot. I'm happy with either heavy or fighters (I actually have a preference for heavies). I'm also biracial and did live in the south for a few years when I was younger and had a few bad experiences, which still bother me.

2 answers to this question

Short answer is no (as in nothing wrong with it). As a matter of fact, guard units usually prefer to hire someone local, all things being equal. 

Longer answer is also no, but if you aren't getting much luck with the local units, then either keep trying with them, or start expanding your search ie casting a wider net (or give up and move on with life). Besides location, the mission is also something to keep in mind whether it's one you truly believe in.

Go for what you want. I applied and one base, because that's where I wanted to fly. If you start running out of time, then cast a wider net. The beauty of the guard is that you have the opportunity to be choosy, so exhaust that opportunity.