Starting terminal leave timing after twice non-select

Good day all,

looking into next years O-5 board, I fully expect to be passed over. I know the AFI says you must separate/retire NLT the first day of the seventh month. However I don’t recall seeing the minimum timeline. Assuming I pregamed as much as I could, is it possible to start terminal a week (for instance) after board results?  Or is the expectation that you still give the 4 month notice?

TIA

I can't speak for retirements, but when I separated after being twice passed over for Major, I was able to separate in one month.  The local MPF said that was the minimum, but didn't provide any source document.  That worked for me, so I didn't ask any follow-up questions.  If you're separating via declining continuation, this counts as an involuntary separation (just without the extra pay), so your separation is processed via a different route.  The approval authority for voluntary officer separations is the SECAF, for involuntary officer separations it's some random Staff Sergeant at AFPC.  If you're trying to get out fast and you're told to apply for separation via Virtual MPF, you're heading down the wrong road.  That's what happened to me and it delayed my approval for separation.  I had TAPS and my separation physical complete beforehand, the rest of outprocessing the Air Force took about a day and a half other than my final out.  Total time from being approved for separation to finishing my final out was approximately 69 hours.  The only drawback to my fast outprocessing was I left the base without a copy of my medical records, which they mailed to me a couple of weeks later on a CD.

Edited by guineapigfury

38 minutes ago, guineapigfury said:

I can't speak for retirements, but when I separated after being twice passed over for Major, I was able to separate in one month.  The local MPF said that was the minimum, but didn't provide any source document.  That worked for me, so I didn't ask any follow-up questions.  If you're separating via declining continuation, this counts as an involuntary separation (just without the extra pay), so your separation is processed via a different route.  The approval authority for voluntary officer separations is the SECAF, for involuntary officer separations it's some random Staff Sergeant at AFPC.  If you're trying to get out fast and you're told to apply for separation via Virtual MPF, you're heading down the wrong road.  That's what happened to me and it delayed my approval for separation.  I had TAPS and my separation physical complete beforehand, the rest of outprocessing the Air Force took about a day and a half other than my final out.  Total time from being approved for separation to finishing my final out was approximately 69 hours.  The only drawback to my fast outprocessing was I left the base without a copy of my medical records, which they mailed to me a couple of weeks later on a CD.

Great!  Thanks for the info