2022 Active Duty Flying Training Board

2 hours ago, CoolCar said:

No, just call Housing.  I gave them a call at Columbus, and they said I could start looking off base because I'm a Capt.  Only single LTs will be in the dorms (at Columbus. other bases may be different).

Just called Vance and got the same answer. Capts+ not required on base unless you request it

5 hours ago, CoolCar said:

No, just call Housing.  I gave them a call at Columbus, and they said I could start looking off base because I'm a Capt.  Only single LTs will be in the dorms (at Columbus. other bases may be different).

That mean we are good to sign a lease before we inprocess on base?

2 hours ago, BackseatBallast said:

Who did you call for the dorms at Vance? The POC I was given by the MHO evidently is not inclined to pick up their phone. Thanks! 

Officer Unaccompanied Housing (580-213-5410). MHO also verified Capts+ are off base 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Grizzlyyyy said:

1 Nov here too. I’ll join after my MFS is blessed off 😂

1 hour ago, tgriff2017 said:

I'm going to Vance for the 01 Nov class! Send me a DM if you end up getting a chat started

Bros...I'm also 1 November! 

54 minutes ago, Magzz said:

I created a group chat for the retreads headed to Vance (regardless of class) to share housing/in-processing info. DM me your number if you'd like to be added 

You're the man, I was about to do that this week as well.

DM'd, can't wait to get to know some folks headed there! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any luck with their IFT DTS auth and driving your POV vs flying? The email I just got said the directed mode was flying, but I’d rather have my POV even if I’m not reimbursed for everything (or at least up to the cost of the flights)

Just do a cost comparison worksheet and you should be good.

2 minutes ago, Grizzlyyyy said:

Anyone have any luck with their IFT DTS auth and driving your POV vs flying? The email I just got said the directed mode was flying, but I’d rather have my POV even if I’m not reimbursed for everything (or at least up to the cost of the flights)

On 1/12/2022 at 12:22 AM, FlyGuy said:

I got selected for ENJJPT! Luckily, I am on the other side of the dateline where my SR/FSS had more time to push it out....

99 Pilot / 72 PCSM / No PPL, First Time Applying, Age Waiver, Non-rated

Congrats! If possible, can I reach out to you to better understand the process of applying for ENJJPT without PPL? Thanks in advance!

15 minutes ago, OldmanUFT21 said:

Yes and I’m at IFT now and it’s weird that RPA does more things and gets more hours than the Pilot students

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

When I was there pilots only did up to the solo then they had their pre check and check rides. For RPA, we started doing the nav routes dual and solo plus the cross country and night flight before pre check and check. Makes sense if you think it's the only time we get actual in aircraft experience. Are pilots doing more than just solo, pre check, and check at IFT now?

• Like 1

When I was there pilots only did up to the solo then they had their pre check and check rides. For RPA, we started doing the nav routes dual and solo plus the cross country and night flight before pre check and check. Makes sense if you think it's the only time we get actual in aircraft experience. Are pilots doing more than just solo, pre check, and check at IFT now?

They are trying to work up to that here I heard yesterday for pilots. To be honest though I have only been looking at the RPA requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 8:11 PM, Arkbird said:

Pilots are currently on a 35 flight hour syllabus which comes out to about a 4-6 week program depending on weather. Check ride at about 25 hours. Currently, there are 5 2-hour flights AFTER the checkride that must be completed before you can leave. These flights have little to no syllabus requirements right now, meaning you basically tell the IP what you'd like to polish up on during that flight.

My understanding is that the syllabus was expanded during COVID due to the Air Force feeling like they were leaving flight hours on the table. Rumor is the Air Force is going to continue to increase the number of flight hours (up to 50) in the IFT pilot syllabus to front-load basic aviation training in the cheaper DA-20 rather than the more expensive T6. 

They'll likely be reworking the syllabus at some point as these 10 flight hours post-checkride feel relatively light in training value. I can't complain cause getting paid for more flight hours is not half bad, and there is little to no stress after the checkride is completed. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 3:02 PM, flymerchantmarine2020 said:

Pilots are currently on a 35 flight hour syllabus which comes out to about a 4-6 week program depending on weather. Check ride at about 25 hours. Currently, there are 5 2-hour flights AFTER the checkride that must be completed before you can leave. These flights have little to no syllabus requirements right now, meaning you basically tell the IP what you'd like to polish up on during that flight.

My understanding is that the syllabus was expanded during COVID due to the Air Force feeling like they were leaving flight hours on the table. Rumor is the Air Force is going to continue to increase the number of flight hours (up to 50) in the IFT pilot syllabus to front-load basic aviation training in the cheaper DA-20 rather than the more expensive T6. 

They'll likely be reworking the syllabus at some point as these 10 flight hours post-checkride feel relatively light in training value. I can't complain cause getting paid for more flight hours is not half bad, and there is little to no stress after the checkride is completed. 

Doesn't sound like a bad gig but they might as well just put everybody on the RPA syllabus at doss. More experience even in the da20 is better than less. 

3 hours ago, Arkbird said:

Doesn't sound like a bad gig but they might as well just put everybody on the RPA syllabus at doss. More experience even in the da20 is better than less. 

There was a time where the AF was going to do the reverse and do less. At the height of the pandemic they stopped doss for all but UPT students. During that time they were considering making no doss permanent RPA students. Luckily they listened to us at Randolph and saw how poorly those students were doing and turned it back on.

• 4 weeks later...

First off I'd say relax air force careers always work themselves out. Going deeper yes CAF assets mainly fighters we are at a bigger disadvantage. There's a lot more boxes to check in fighters such as 2-shp/4-ship flight lead, ip, eval. Vs maf where its just going from the right to left seat as a AC. 

We are screwed for wic/CC but it's an age thing, didn't know there was an age limit for wic until I chatted with my wg/CC (patch and former F15c guy). 

If you do want airlines in the end maf would be better option as you gain hours 2-3x more than fighter guys doing "around the flag-pole" missions. Hours are a big thing airlines look at among other things. 

But in the end I'll say go to UPT with an open mind. Have a #1 choice for both maf and caf but that's it. The beauty of UPT is we don't need to decide until the end and who knows you might hate pulling Gs. 

And I have you beat, I just hit 7yrs and will be turning in my PRF during upt.

Edited by ZE14