2022 Active Duty Flying Training Board

My unit added Cyber Wings with the name, since they’re mandatory wear….. I’ve seen dudes go through IFT with some generic black or leather looking name patches but I don’t know where they got them from

Is it mandatory if you aren’t going to be cyber anymore?

I have my wreath for maintenance and won’t be wearing it

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

59 minutes ago, OldmanUFT21 said:

Is it mandatory if you aren’t going to be cyber anymore?

I have my wreath for maintenance and won’t be wearing it

5.1.2.4.1 "...Chaplain, aeronautical, space, cyberspace and missile operations badges are mandatory and, except for the missile operations badge, will always be worn in the highest position...."

-36-2903

• Like 1

5.1.2.4.1 "...Chaplain, aeronautical, space, cyberspace and missile operations badges are mandatory and, except for the missile operations badge, will always be worn in the highest position...."
-36-2903

There’s mandatory and there’s mandatory. I know plenty of ex-Navs and ABMs who don’t rock the biplane. Nobody is going to ever call them out for not wearing a mandatory badge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Heading to Columbus with a RNTLD in late August & a CSD of Oct 6th! Anyone know why there's such a long wait in between? Will I just be doing casual work? Also, looking for non-dependent housing recommendations, trying to decide between on base vs off base.

45-60 days prior is pretty standard per AFPC. There's a lot more inprocressing to do at formal training bases than a normal pcs additionally there's some required tasks (observe events) that CB requires prior to start unless you're guard/reserve or have previous experience (previous white jet IP time, etc). 

All single students are required to stay on base unless you're a Capt or higher. I would say stay on base for the ease of convenience to everywhere you'll go. At least that's what I'm doing but I'll be in family housing. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

There’s mandatory and there’s mandatory. I know plenty of ex-Navs and ABMs who don’t rock the biplane. Nobody is going to ever call them out for not wearing a mandatory badge.

That's great and all but he asked if he had to wear them and the technical answer is yes. Up to them if they want to follow the AFI. Doesn't bother me. 

1 hour ago, Bean said:

Anyone know if for IFT there is a PT test Day 1 or if masks are required with the updated COVID guidance? 

PT test + PT hours requirement have been waived due to COVID. Not sure if/when they're coming back but they don't have any of those requirements right now. Mask mandate was lifted just last week, but probably a good idea to bring some masks just in case. 

• Like 3

On 3/9/2022 at 6:39 PM, CaptainMorgan said:

True. I was just saying what my unit purchased for me. I’ll be buying a blank set without them

On 3/10/2022 at 6:06 AM, ZE14 said:

45-60 days prior is pretty standard per AFPC. There's a lot more inprocressing to do at formal training bases than a normal pcs additionally there's some required tasks (observe events) that CB requires prior to start unless you're guard/reserve or have previous experience (previous white jet IP time, etc). 

All single students are required to stay on base unless you're a Capt or higher. I would say stay on base for the ease of convenience to everywhere you'll go. At least that's what I'm doing but I'll be in family housing. 

Is there a written rule somewhere about the Capt+ being able to go straight off base? Everything I’ve read is if you’re “single” you can be on the hook for on base. 

6 minutes ago, Grizzlyyyy said:

Is there a written rule somewhere about the Capt+ being able to go straight off base? Everything I’ve read is if you’re “single” you can be on the hook for on base. 

The way I interpreted it and probably should have written it this way, capts have the "ability" to stay off base. Also depends on how full the dorms are.

MFS takeaways:

• Lyft/Uber/Cabs can get on base from the airport.
  • When you show up o/a 0730, they do basic height, weight, sitting measurements. Super quick and easy.
  • Then until lunch, about 1100, they pull people back for vision tests 2-3 at a time.  So there is a lot of waiting around and BSing.  If you didn't eat or get coffee earlier, there is a coffee/food place upstairs.  They do distance, color (with the "C" that rotates 90 degrees), and pictures of your eyes.
  • Lunch is about an hour.  Like I said earlier, food is in the building so if you don't have a rental, don't sweat it.
  • After lunch are brutally long 2x personality, 2x cognitive tests on the computer.  Not difficult for the most part, just time-consuming.
  • A few of us had to extra eye tests; specifically, I had to do a visual spatial test to test functionality of something that looked "weird" in the scans.

BL: Pretty low-key and they are all super nice.

On 3/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, Grizzlyyyy said:

I guess it depends on the base. But only single, first assignment officers should have to stay on base. Confirmed on Sheppard's housing website.

3 hours ago, FlyGuy said:

MFS takeaways:

• When you show up o/a 0730, they do basic height, weight, sitting measurements. Super quick and easy.
  • Then until lunch, about 1100, they pull people back for vision tests 2-3 at a time.  So there is a lot of waiting around and BSing.  If you didn't eat or get coffee earlier, there is a coffee/food place upstairs.  They do distance, color (with the "C" that rotates 90 degrees), and pictures of your eyes.
  • Lunch is about an hour.  Like I said earlier, food is in the building so if you don't have a rental, don't sweat it.
  • After lunch are brutally long 2x personality, 2x cognitive tests on the computer.  Not difficult for the most part, just time-consuming.
  • A few of us had to extra eye tests; specifically, I had to do a visual spatial test to test functionality of something that looked "weird" in the scans.

Not sure I’ve done the rotating C color test. Last one I did was matching letters on the laptop with a grey background 

I guess it depends on the base. But only single, first assignment officers should have to stay on base. Confirmed on Sheppard's housing website.

I’ll end up just reaching out to Vance. Everything the have posted in the new student guide seems geared toward brand new 2Lts vs Capts with a ton of HHGs

1 minute ago, Grizzlyyyy said:

Not sure I’ve done the rotating C color test. Last one I did was matching letters on the laptop with a grey background 

Same type of test with same color schemes that get progressively more difficult. Just instead of looking for letters, you have to pick where the opening of the C is facing.

MFS takeaways:

Thanks for this! Going tomorrow.

PT test + PT hours requirement have been waived due to COVID. Not sure if/when they're coming back but they don't have any of those requirements right now. Mask mandate was lifted just last week, but probably a good idea to bring some masks just in case. 

There used to be a PT requirement at IFT?

19 hours ago, OldmanUFT21 said:

There used to be a PT requirement at IFT?

Yep. We had to take and pass a PT test although it did not count as an official test on your record. If you passed you got to stay and play the DOSS game, if you failed you were sent home. Not sure if they still do this but we also had regular scheduled PT some days.

Sidebar: One day we got to play dodgeball and it was us RPAs vs Pilots/CSO's. We had like 7+ former baseball players (some who even played in college) and we destroyed them. The civilians who led the PT program made us throw with our left hands after beating them so many times and we still won. One of my most proud/fondest AF memories still to this day.

Edited by BANDIT_K
  • Like 2

Yep. We had to take and pass a PT test although it did not count as an official test on your record. If you passed you got to stay and play the DOSS game, if you failed you were sent home. Not sure if they still do this but we also had regular scheduled PT some days.
Sidebar: One day we got to play dodgeball and it was us RPAs vs Pilots/CSO's. We had like 7+ former baseball players (some who even played in college) and we destroyed them. The civilians who led the PT program made us throw with our left hands after beating them so many times and we still won. One of my most proud/fondest AF memories still to this day.

Crazy! And haha awesome about you killing them I played college baseball as well. I think I could pass a PT test now haha just did in Nov I think but nothing in the welcome guide says anything about it so you threw me off!

On 3/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, Grizzlyyyy said:

No, just call Housing.  I gave them a call at Columbus, and they said I could start looking off base because I'm a Capt.  Only single LTs will be in the dorms (at Columbus. other bases may be different).

Edited by CoolCar