Afghan Inside Job

HossHarris

Nylander was my flight SRO in OTS. Soft spoken and a real good dude, and a true believer in the Air Force and our foreign policy writ large (something I'm categorically not, in part due to the circumstances behind his untimely death in that FUBAR so-called nation building effort). Died a hero. 

Complete waste of human capital, that entire clusterf*ck of a perennial war we got going on over there, while private interests all get rich off the carnage. Indefensible mess that should have been nuked from orbit and left to glaze 5 decades ago. I'm also still disgusted at the potshots of cowardice levied towards these casualties by US senior investigating leadership.

RIP Nathan. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

5 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

Nylander was my flight SRO in OTS. Soft spoken and a real good dude, and a true believer in the Air Force and our foreign policy writ large (something I'm categorically not, in part due to the circumstances behind his untimely death in that FUBAR so-called nation building effort). Died a hero. 

Complete waste of human capital, that entire clusterf*ck of a perennial war we got going on over there, while private interests all get rich off the carnage. Indefensible mess that should have been nuked from orbit and left to glaze 5 decades ago. I'm also still disgusted at the potshots of cowardice levied towards these casualties by US senior investigating leadership.

RIP Nathan. 

To him.  True hero.  I also knew him from OTS and had nothing but utmost respect.  

• Upvote 1

When I was there the scuttlebutt about this was the Afghan shooter was flying unplanned missions with the C-27's , for what anybody's guess but heroin would be mine and the USAF folks were about to pull the plug on the moonlighting gig. I wonder how much money never made it to Afghanistan and got held up in a tight lipped bank in Dubai.

3 hours ago, Prosuper said:

When I was there the scuttlebutt about this was the Afghan shooter was flying unplanned missions with the C-27's , for what anybody's guess but heroin would be mine and the USAF folks were about to pull the plug on the moonlighting gig. I wonder how much money never made it to Afghanistan and got held up in a tight lipped bank in Dubai.

Almost exactly what the above article mentions...

3 hours ago, Prosuper said:

Well, the RUMINT I got was the financial duress angle got to the shooter, based on a ratings demotion during American occupation compared to his salary position during Taliban rule. I'm inclined to believe this theory, Occam's Razor and all that jazz.