The First Amendment, Freedom of the press.

arg

Wait…a state is requiring someone register with government before being able to exercise their Constitutional right?  This is outrageous!

(but it’s different when this applies to firearms)

…and yes, this proposed legislation in FL is ridiculous

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 6:25 PM, HeloDude said:

So it’s cool when a Senator wants social media to censor speech when it comes to banks…

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen-mark-kelly-calls-censorship-social-media-companies-prevent-bank-run-report

This guy has to be the dumbest astronaut alive.  

The government will not be happy until they can censor social media.  They are not going to stop trying. 

Let the banks fail.  Censorship doesn't help shady financial dealings go away.  It just gives the people in power time to remove or transfer their assets elsewhere.   

I really never thought that I'd see the dems turn into the party of censorship.  

4 hours ago, Biff_T said:

This guy has to be the dumbest astronaut alive.  

The government will not be happy until they can censor social media.  They are not going to stop trying. 

Let the banks fail.  Censorship doesn't help shady financial dealings go away.  It just gives the people in power time to remove or transfer their assets elsewhere.   

I really never thought that I'd see the dems turn into the party of censorship.  

Noones talking about the fact that the CEO of SVB sold $200M worth of personal SVB stock from his equity plan the day before Moody's downgraded their credit rating. That's shocking to me. 

13 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Noones talking about the fact that the CEO of SVB sold $200M worth of personal SVB stock from his equity plan the day before Moody's downgraded their credit rating. That's shocking to me. 

probably mostly due to the fact that it's not true

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Day Man said:

probably mostly due to the fact that it's not true

Are we certain of that? I've seen it mentioned now in several places including visual capitalist. 

I just googled it though and Bloomberg says it was $3.6M.

2 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Are we certain of that? I've seen it mentioned now in several places including visual capitalist. 

I just googled it though and Bloomberg says it was $3.6M.

So admittedly I don't know where I got 200M from, probably just poor memory, big numbers and getting old. But here is the visual capitalist article on the timeline I was thinking about. 

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/timeline-shocking-collapse-of-silicon-valley-bank/#:~:text=While the collapse of SVB,to help buoy the economy.

3 minutes ago, FLEA said:

So admittedly I don't know where I got 200M from, probably just poor memory, big numbers and getting old. But here is the visual capitalist article on the timeline I was thinking about. 

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/timeline-shocking-collapse-of-silicon-valley-bank/#:~:text=While the collapse of SVB,to help buoy the economy.

🤔 even that article says $4M:

image.png.0966f29e3f6db4063a42d7a9cd5fb96e.png

pro tip: you can go to the SEC website and check for insider transactions (which is exactly what I did to refute your claim)

23 hours ago, Day Man said:

🤔 even that article says $4M:

image.png.0966f29e3f6db4063a42d7a9cd5fb96e.png

pro tip: you can go to the SEC website and check for insider transactions (which is exactly what I did to refute your claim)

Fair enough, I was more focused on the act than the actual value. Looking up Becker's salary, he sold off approximately 3/4 of his entire years equity pay. Its still an eye brow raise. 

But on to a new question--and I can't really think of another place to ask it.... does anyone use Ground News? And if so, how would you rate it? Im interested in the concept but not sure I want to pay a subscription price for it. Do you actually get access to the content or articles they post or do you have to pay for those subscriptions as well? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Sua Sponte said:

He was clearly ousted. I wonder what responsibility he bears for Fox's lawsuit. Obviously I know what was aired but how much of what was said was Tucker responsible for? Fox's guilt was implicit with the settlement even if the agreement was partially sealed. 

Also a bit serendipitous Don Lemmon was fired recently as well. These were two of the most polarizing voices in media. It would be nice if they both permanently lose platform. 

Edited by FLEA

49 minutes ago, FLEA said:

He was clearly ousted. I wonder what responsibility he bears for Fox's lawsuit. Obviously I know what was aired but how much of what was said was Tucker responsible for? Fox's guilt was implicit with the settlement even if the agreement was partially sealed. 

Also a bit serendipitous Don Lemmon was fired recently as well. These were two of the most polarizing voices in media. It would be nice if they both permanently lose platform. 

New Crossfire series on Newsmax? 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

I just remembered Chris Cuomo went out recently (last few years) as well. Is it possible our society is starting to demand journalism integrity via the market? Gasp.....

What market ?

those clowns had giant marketshare for viewers. 

• 11 months later...

I’ve Been at NPR for 25 Years. Here’s How We Lost America’s Trust. 

A really good article I hope folks will take a moment to read.  I grew up listening to NPR and the author, an admitted Sarah Lawrence–educated, raised by a lesbian peace activist mother, drives a Subaru, and his Spotify says his listening habits are most similar to people in Berkeley - details how the network has failed to report accurately on three major news stories (Russia Collusion report, Hunter Biden Laptop, and The Origins of COVID), because it would have been beneficial to the GOP.  He also describes how the network became activist after the George Floyd killing, making race and identity paramount to everything they did.

Interestingly when he presented his story/argument to his colleagues the answer was "So what." 

NPR may receive little direct federal funding, but a good deal of its budget comprises federal funds that flow to it indirectly by federal law and that should end.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Reader beware, the article promotes thought crime.

Back when people used to bootleg their music albums from the radio, and read newspapers, I still remember the first time I discovered NPR and being fascinated by listening to something other than pop songs and car salesmen...I mean car dealer advertising.

The Bari Weiss podcast interviewing him is more interesting than the article. But to anyone who's been following this for the last few years it's just going to be more of the same. Still, it is interesting to hear "from the horse's mouth."

5 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

The Bari Weiss podcast interviewing him is more interesting than the article. But to anyone who's been following this for the last few years it's just going to be more of the same. Still, it is interesting to hear "from the horse's mouth."

Is that new?