Past LASIK- Waiver Required or Not?

TaleMediocre

Hello all,

I searched the PRK/LASIK thread and was unable to find an answer to this question as the reference I have is only 2 years old, but sorry if it has been asked before. I'm an Army guy and got LASIK in my right eye almost 5 years ago to get in standard for my Army flight physical. I am in the process of submitting applications to ANG/AFR units. I've seen the LASIK checklist with the required pre and post-op exams. I had post-op exams after I got my eye done, but the timeline was different the the Air Force's (if I remember it was 1, 2, and 3 months then I got the waiver, not 1, 3, 6, and 12 months). I can probably get a copy of all of the paperwork, but while doing more research I found the following article:

https://www.travis.af.mil/News/Article/1571924/lasik-prk-waivers-not-required/

From what I understand from the article, as long as everything is normal and you are outside of the 12 month window following your procedure, you don't require a waiver. Can anybody who has gone through this process before confirm if that is correct?

Thanks!

Don't worry about the timing of the the post-op exams.  Those are requirements when current AF flyers get refractive surgery.  Not applicable to people who are applying.  You are correct, most people don't require a waiver when entering after having LASIK/PRK.  Only exceptions are people whose eyesight (i.e. prescription) prior to surgery was crazy high (above -8.00, +3.00 or 3.00 Diopters of astigmatism).  There is also a limit for what can be waived (above -10.00, +5.00 and 6.00 Diopters of astigmatism).  All this assumes a normal, uncomplicated outcome and that you are at least six months post surgery (12 months for farsighted procedures).  You still need (at a minimum) at least one pre-op exam, a surgical report and one post op exam at 3 months or later after the procedure.  The folks at Wright-Patt can work with you if you have more specific questions.

20 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

Don't worry about the timing of the the post-op exams.  Those are requirements when current AF flyers get refractive surgery.  Not applicable to people who are applying.  You are correct, most people don't require a waiver when entering after having LASIK/PRK.  Only exceptions are people whose eyesight (i.e. prescription) prior to surgery was crazy high (above -8.00, +3.00 or 3.00 Diopters of astigmatism).  There is also a limit for what can be waived (above -10.00, +5.00 and 6.00 Diopters of astigmatism).  All this assumes a normal, uncomplicated outcome and that you are at least six months post surgery (12 months for farsighted procedures).  You still need (at a minimum) at least one pre-op exam, a surgical report and one post op exam at 3 months or later after the procedure.  The folks at Wright-Patt can work with you if you have more specific questions.

Went to Wright Patt for my FC1/MFS few months ago having done PRK with refraction error within the -8.00 to +3.00 limits. Can confirm this is to be facts.

Edited by 1nfrequentF1yer