Army National Guard to Air National Guard

Background: New pilot (warrant) at a new Army guard unit

I’ve been told that if you get picked up by an ANG unit, your remaining Active Duty Service Obligation isn’t a factor, because you’re going from Guard to Guard, even if you are transferring states. This seems logical, but couldn’t find an exact answer to this in DOD 1205.05, 1300.04, or 1304.25. Anyone have experience?

If anyone else has been in a similar situation, when do you show your interest or intentions to your current unit? I’d think you’d want to keep it close to your chest until you get picked up, otherwise you’re burning bridges on a gamble.

Are you a new army pilot fresh out of Rucker with a 10 yr commitment to your name? Did you sign a contract with the state your with? Keep your cards / options to your self. But know that if you were to be picked up my an ANG unit, you would inherit a brand new ten year timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Brand new. Fresh. Only a 6 year though (got in just in time). I  commissioned with my state. I understand that I'd have to accept a new 10 year upon graduation. 

The only things that may help me sell the idea is a promotion and increased commitment length.

If you’re transferring within your state, it’s a much easier sell but I’ve absolutely seen guys get shut down who wanted to do the same thing three years out of flight school. It all depends on your command and, as a commander, I would have a very hard time letting someone go that we just spent a $1M to train that has given nothing back to the unit. The unspoken rule in my state is that you either do your six or do a deployment.