Marine Helo to ANG

Similar questions to what a Marine Osprey pilot asked a little while back.

I am currently a Marine UH-1Y Pilot. I have enjoyed my time in the Marine Corps and Iove flying the Huey. However, my fleet time has been tough on my family. My initial commitment will be complete in 2023 but can accept orders to extend. I have experience as FAC/JTAC and did a tour with an infantry battalion and my next duty station will be an ANGLICO.

I am interested in applying to one of the Air National Guard units that flies the A-10 while at my next duty station. I've done some research on the transition process, however I've been unable to find specific answers as to how the ANG will look at my rotary and fixed-wing time in regards to UPT.

For an A-10 unit, would I even be considered for the position? Would I be considered rated or non-rated since I'm a helo pilot? If I am able to get hired, what would my training requirements be and would I meet the age requirement (I'll be 32 at the time of my EAS)?

Any and all advice appreciated! Thanks!

Similar question to the OP above, but for USN/USMC guys like us who have completed flight school with the Navy and wouldn’t need UPT, are you considered “rated” for the purposes of joining an ANG/USAFR squadron? The term “rated” doesn’t really translate into the lexicon of Naval aviation, and I’m curious because many reserve squadrons have “continuous” rated boards based on what I’ve seen/heard. 

Reason I ask is because I’ve seen squadrons post openings for “rated only” boards and I couldn’t tell if that meant you had to be previously qualified in the aircraft in the RegAF, or if you just didn’t need UPT.

Non AF rated guys have to go thru an Aeronautical review board with big blue. There they will determine what training you’ll require to jump ship (upt, ptx, etc) you’ll also get credit for flight pay origination date as well as translate your previous military hours to AF hours, making folks eligible for seniors wings... most army rated helo guys have to attend the full UPT although there’s a T1 only track in the testing phase. Most Navy USMC rated guys go direct to PTX. No idea what the ARB will say if your a helo guy trying to jump to a fast movers without any T38 time or IFF schooling.

Can you apply to rated boards.??? YES but mainly only for the heavy route if your a navy/USMC. Fighter rated boards will probably not entertain a rated guy with no T38 time non IFF grad.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Non AF rated guys have to go thru an Aeronautical review board with big blue. There they will determine what training you’ll require to jump ship (upt, ptx, etc) you’ll also get credit for flight pay origination date as well as translate your previous military hours to AF hours, making folks eligible for seniors wings... most army rated helo guys have to attend the full UPT although there’s a T1 only track in the testing phase. Most Navy USMC rated guys go direct to PTX. No idea what the ARB will say if your a helo guy trying to jump to a fast movers without any T38 time or IFF schooling.

Can you apply to rated boards.??? YES but mainly only for the heavy route if your a navy/USMC. Fighter rated boards will probably not entertain a rated guy with no T38 time non IFF grad.

Thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you completed pilot training, you’re rated. It will be easier to get hired at a unit with a similar aircraft to what you’re flying in the Navy/USMC (e.g. fighter to fighter). But, it is completely possible to do a course or two to switch from heavy to fighter or helo to fixed wing (fighter or heavy). That said, your chances of getting hired are significantly reduced, but certainly not impossible. It’s unit dependent (what are their current needs) and if AETC has slots for your specific training requirement on the timeline you want/unit wants. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2021 at 3:16 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

Thanks for the info!

So based off this, I would probably have to apply as non-rated to an A-10 unit since I am not already a fighter pilot. Would ARB/ANG unit consider giving me a slot to go through modified UPT refresher + T-38/IFF given my background or no? I know there is an age cutoff for UPT and am curious if a waiver would be required in my case (just turned 30).

On 3/22/2021 at 3:57 AM, brabus said:

If you completed pilot training, you’re rated. It will be easier to get hired at a unit with a similar aircraft to what you’re flying in the Navy/USMC (e.g. fighter to fighter). But, it is completely possible to do a course or two to switch from heavy to fighter or helo to fixed wing (fighter or heavy). That said, your chances of getting hired are significantly reduced, but certainly not impossible. It’s unit dependent (what are their current needs) and if AETC has slots for your specific training requirement on the timeline you want/unit wants. 

Thanks for replying!

Do you or anyone on here know if an A-10 unit specifically would look favorably on my background in CAS as a flyer/ground-pounder in consideration for a spot? I know being a helo guy means I would need full jet training to join the unit.

4 hours ago, Bittens said:

Thanks for replying!

Do you or anyone on here know if an A-10 unit specifically would look favorably on my background in CAS as a flyer/ground-pounder in consideration for a spot? I know being a helo guy means I would need full jet training to join the unit.

Your background is more transferable than a C-12 pilot (for example), but I can’t tell you how much that factors into their hiring decision. It certainly is a positive, but can’t say how much it helps you. You’re probably competing against the young guys off the street; do they take an “old” but experienced flyer who needs UPT/IFF/FTU, or do they take a young guy who probably has more years to give the unit/learns stuff faster with no old habits to break. Both choices have their own risk and reward. 

18 hours ago, brabus said:

Your background is more transferable than a C-12 pilot (for example), but I can’t tell you how much that factors into their hiring decision. It certainly is a positive, but can’t say how much it helps you. You’re probably competing against the young guys off the street; do they take an “old” but experienced flyer who needs UPT/IFF/FTU, or do they take a young guy who probably has more years to give the unit/learns stuff faster with no old habits to break. Both choices have their own risk and reward. 

Ok, so it would depend on what the unit is looking for. Thanks!

• 10 months later...

@Bittens any follow up with your journey to go the fighter route? I am an MH-60R bubba with my contact due to end in 2024 - looking at similar options as you. Curious how they will treat my background…imagine it will be an uphill battle. Good news is I still have a couple of years to try my luck and start connecting with units.