Guard RC-26 to Fighters (hypothetical)

That dude has single-handedly wrecked the trajectory of UPT for the next generation. Don’t know how he sleeps at night. 

But VR and strength/cognitive training are going to totally make up for reduced flying hours! I see this as the latest example of how our GOs are too old and out of touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CaptainMorgan said:

But VR and strength/cognitive training are going to totally make up for reduced flying hours! I see this as the latest example of how our GOs are too old and out of touch.

Nah, it's got d.ck to do with age. Privately they don't believe in any of this sh!t either. They know all it takes to meet stated FY production goals is to re-open and staff a single additional former UPT base, and we're doneski here. But they also know that's not in the cards for the SECAF. So as conniving but ultimately rational actors, they play dumb regurgitating that "psychology of learning" disingenuous sophistry at the expense of the perennially revolving door of  "f-- ck it I'm going to the airlines" burnt out rank and file instructor cadre, who they consider expendable and uncommitted for holding said sentiments in the first place. All the while retaining access for their post-retirement NoVA consultant six fig grift. Nothing new under the sun.

The problem with the GO in question is he exhibits a penchant for grudge holding and narcissism above and beyond that of the average GO. The enterprise is certainly worse off for it. But this too shall pass. Yes, some kids are getting burned as casualties of the experiment. But everybody who signed on the dotted line knew they were in for a f$cking at some point or another. Not condoning it, just reiterating the 3 axioms of military life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nah, it's got d.ck to do with age. Privately they don't believe in any of this sh!t either. They know all it takes to meet stated FY production goals is to re-open and staff a single additional former UPT base, and we're doneski here. But they also know that's not in the cards for the SECAF. So as conniving but ultimately rational actors, they play dumb regurgitating that "psychology of learning" disingenuous sophistry at the expense of the perennially revolving door of  "f-- ck it I'm going to the airlines" burnt out rank and file instructor cadre, who they consider expendable and uncommitted for holding said sentiments in the first place. All the while retaining access for their post-retirement NoVA consultant six fig grift. Nothing new under the sun.
The problem with the GO in question is he exhibits a penchant for grudge holding and narcissism above and beyond that of the average GO. The enterprise is certainly worse off for it. But this too shall pass. Yes, some kids are getting burned as casualties of the experiment. But everybody who signed on the dotted line knew they were in for a f$cking at some point or another. Not condoning it, just reiterating the 3 axioms of military life.

We’ll I’ve seen plenty of stupid decisions made by Generals who grew up under a Vietnam/Cold War mindset, so I’ll still consider that.

10 hours ago, brabus said:

Brutally honest answer at the end of the day: while there are certainly great MAF guys who could do well in fighters, many probably wouldn’t be very value adding, especially later in their career (and that’s if they even make it through the pipeline). The basic flying stuff that translates to fighters is about 5% of the job. It’s the other 95% that’s the big hurdle. The young guy straight out of the pipeline from the start will generally provide more long term value. I’m sure that’ll piss some egos off, but reality hurts some times. 

If that’s the case then why would guard/reserve units still hire a MAF TX guy? 

16 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Given your post history, you seem like someone who never got hired.

Hah. That’s funny. I actually got picked up with a fighter squadron a couple years back. I’m just trying to get more people on board. There’s quite a bit of good heavy dudes I know who I think would be solid in a fighter. 

15 hours ago, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

If that’s the case then why would guard/reserve units still hire a MAF TX guy? 

Because the right guys are out there, it’s not a zero sum game. However, tough sell to pick a heavy guy over a fighter guy when you’re talking about the one TX you have to give. But timing matters a lot, and perhaps great dude heavy guy has zero competition for an available TX, thus he gets the job.

Totally support MAF guy rushing, but go in eyes wide open - your chances are historically low (but not zero). 

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, brabus said:

Because the right guys are out there, it’s not a zero sum game. However, tough sell to pick a heavy guy over a fighter guy when you’re talking about the one TX you have to give. But timing matters a lot, and perhaps great dude heavy guy has zero competition for an available TX, thus he gets the job.

Totally support MAF guy rushing, but go in eyes wide open - your chances are historically low (but not zero). 

Thank you for answering the genuine question I had and not being ridiculous about it. I Appreciate the professionalism man. 

On 12/14/2021 at 5:18 AM, Finch said:

It’s not common, but yes. Know of some JSTARS and -130H buddies that went.

This might be a silly question, but did their Guard units “send them” to ENJJPT, in the sense that it’s a different/specific set of orders cut to/with the ANG Bureau vs those for “normal” UPT? Or is there an application process in TFOT for ENJJPT that they crushed?

Thanks for any insight you can share!

7 hours ago, GreenArc said:

This might be a silly question, but did their Guard units “send them” to ENJJPT, in the sense that it’s a different/specific set of orders cut to/with the ANG Bureau vs those for “normal” UPT? Or is there an application process in TFOT for ENJJPT that they crushed?

Thanks for any insight you can share!

They knew ahead of time for ENJJPT. The only people that applied during OTS were AD.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2021 at 6:55 PM, RPApilotSelectMSgt said:

NDAA quotes it pretty hard that "they" don't want it, but...there is a congressman who flys it, whose also a guardsman. I still expect it to be gone.

Randomly came across this article about an RC-26 out of Houston, and this thread came to mind. I know there's an RC-26 info thread here, but it's super old, and since this thread is more recently active, has already touched on a few different related topics, and we have the NDAA mentioned here in-thread, I figured I'd drop this here, a bit of a summary on the 2022 NDAA re: the RC-26:

The House bill contained a provision (sec. 137) that would prohibit the obligation or expenditure of any funds authorized under this Act for the retirement of the RC–26B aircraft, subject to certain exceptions.

The Senate amendment contained no similar provision.

The agreement does not include this provision.

In February, 2020, we received a report from the Secretary of the Air Force responding to section 147 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 (Public Law 116- 92). In that report, the Secretary certified that, among other things, there was no title 10 mission for this aircraft. The report also said that neither the Department of Defense nor the Air Force needed additional memoranda of agreement for the Departments to provide support to other military forces and civilian authorities.

In June 2020, the Secretary of the Air Force approved an updated divestment plan that would keep the RC-26B operational until April 1, 2023. Despite setting this deadline, the Air Force has yet to provide Congress with the details of how such a 15 plan would be executed and the likely impact to the affected units. We agree that continuing a year-to-year existence for the RC-26B units is an unsustainable policy, disruptive to personnel and readiness. We encourage the Air Force to reach a solution acceptable to all involved.

Accordingly, we direct the Secretary of the Air Force to provide a briefing to the congressional defense committees, not later than March 1, 2022, outlining the costs, benefits, timeline, and impacts of the Air Force’s plan to divest the RC26B aircraft by April 1, 2023. We expect this briefing to also include:

(1) Confirmation or modification of the conclusion from the February 2020 report that there is no title 10 mission for the aircraft;

(2) Options for retaining the aircraft within the Department of Defense if the conclusion in the February 2020 report has changed;

(3) Options for transferring the aircraft to other Government agencies; and

(4) Plans for the units and personnel currently operating the RC-26B aircraft.

You called it, @RPApilotSelectMSgt, and it sounds like we'll see the official plan for the future come 1 March.

On 12/10/2021 at 7:30 AM, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

Why does the Air Force not have more TX fighter slots? I feel like it would be less of a risk to take an already qualified pilot who could have gone fighters, but chose heavies and put them through a TX course than it would be to hire a UPT guy off the street. No offense to UPT hires but a rated pilot already knows how to fly the Air Force way…I’m just thinking if there is a fighter pilot shortage this could be a solution to it. Thoughts? 

I haven't screened the other answers, so this may be a repeat. In general, the Air Force needs pilots in every airframe and they are reluctant  (with exceptions) to requalify pilots in other specialties (fighter vs heavys). It is expensive, time consuming, and leaves an empty seat in the previous fleet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
14 hours ago, ecc97 said:

Well, I'm happy that post started a spirited conversation.  Please carry on, but an update for those interested:  still nothing, 0 for 31 on interviews, pressing on.

I'm curious, are you rushing the squadrons that you are applying to? If so, do you feel like you're building connections with the members of the squadron? Are you tailoring your cover letter for each to explain what about each squadron interests you and how you're connected to the area? You said that you weren't getting feedback, but have you been able to get some recently? When I was rushing, I got feedback around half the time, so at least a few of those 31 boards should have given you something. With scores like yours, I find it hard to believe that you haven't had any interviews.

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

I'm curious, are you rushing the squadrons that you are applying to? If so, do you feel like you're building connections with the members of the squadron? Are you tailoring your cover letter for each to explain what about each squadron interests you and how you're connected to the area? You said that you weren't getting feedback, but have you been able to get some recently? When I was rushing, I got feedback around half the time, so at least a few of those 31 boards should have given you something. With scores like yours, I find it hard to believe that you haven't had any interviews.

If a unit has a visit opportunity, generally I’m there (with a few exceptions as some units announced visits on very short notice.

I feel like I’m building a connection, but obviously performance indicates the contrary.

I am re-writing my cover letter, as that is the most recent (actually best overall) best bit of feedback I’ve gotten.  I have been tailoring my letter somewhat, but am doing it more now.

I have only really gotten 3 bits feedback from units.  1, I wasn’t social enough (full disclosure, I spent 5 full days at this unit, and spoke to all the pilots, so a bit confused, but obviously my feelings don’t mean anything).  2, I didn’t call people by rank (even when they introduced themselves by callsign).  3, a bad fighter cover letter.