Jump to content

SG Waiver Denied


Recommended Posts

To preface this I want to say my dad was an AF officer and I was treated at military/TRICARE hospitals my whole life. This means I had to submit every single medical record in my life (about 300 pages). I just finished MEPS (was a battle to even get there, 9 months of back and forth, requests for additional information, the whole 9 yards) and my SG waiver just got denied for asthma, peanut allergies, and dry eye syndrome and I don't know why (there was no info on why it was denied). After I finished MEPS, the SG requested 2 more tests from me and said that I may meet waiver criteria pending successful completion of the tests. These 2 tests were a pre-post bronchodilator spirometry, and an allergy test to confirm no peanut allergy. I passed them both with no problem, does anyone know why there would be a denial? I'm surprised I wasn't even allowed to get past MEPS and get denied by them, not WP. Here is a little more info about me:

Asthma - Was diagnosed as a kid but all symptoms subside at age 12 and never resurface. This is documented in my medical records. The issue is inhalers were prescribed to me as a precaution until I was about 21. The kicker here is my medical documents state that it was my mom who ordered them. My medical file literally states "language barrier between patient and mother, mother won't let patient speak". I never needed these inhalers but my mom insisted to the doctor that I have them for emergencies. It is noted in my file that after age 12, "never uses, keeps 1 in case of emergency".

The SG also requested a methacholine challenge test from me prior to letting me take my physical at MEPS. I took that and passed with flying colors. I took another one 2 years ago for my own knowledge to make sure I didn't have asthma. Passed that one with flying colors too, all these tests were sent to the SG.

Peanut Allergy - I had peanuts when I was 3 years old and my mom thought I looked funny and took me to the ER. Demanded an epi-pen. Never was used. Literally ate peanuts since I was 6 with no problem. Just took a allergy test and oral food challenge test to prove I'm not allergic, passed with flying colors.

Dry Eyes - I had PRK about 6 years ago and went to the doctors office 6 months after the surgery to get a refill on eye drops. I guess this was coded as dry eye syndrome so I could get the eye drops. This is normal after PRK too, it's not like I'm requesting them 5 years after my surgery complaining about dry eyes.

I guess I am lost at this point. Why would the SG deny me if I've passed everything and meet all the criteria? Am I missing something? I'm going to meet with my unit's flight surgeon to go over my packet and resubmit everything in a neat tidy document so it can carry more weight. I just don't want this to be the end of the road for me and I'm trying to arm myself with knowledge on this matter. Has anyone experienced anything similar and gotten it overturned? Is it really just lazy people at the office not wanting to read paperwork? Any insight is appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't directly address your points, but I will say that AFRS is incredibly chaotic right now. There's backups on top of backups when it comes to training/selectees, and that's forcing them to slow down the intake of new people. You could just be hitting the system at the wrong time.

Either way, keep pushing. MEPS is a fairly low hurdle, so with enough effort and timing... you should prevail.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kiloalpha said:

I can't directly address your points, but I will say that AFRS is incredibly chaotic right now. There's backups on top of backups when it comes to training/selectees, and that's forcing them to slow down the intake of new people. You could just be hitting the system at the wrong time.

Either way, keep pushing. MEPS is a fairly low hurdle, so with enough effort and timing... you should prevail.

That's good to know. Although that would be a terrible excuse to deny someone off of the basis of needing to slow down the pipeline. And those are my thoughts exactly. It is such a low hurdle, certainly I can get past it. I don't want MEPS to tell me I can't fly. I want WP to do that. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do NOT give up. MEPS is horrendous. Having had the pleasure of visiting two MEPS a total of 6 times, I can attest to the inefficiency of paperwork handling at times. A squared away recruiter will keep fighting for you and stay on top of the MEPS folks. Hang in there.

Edited by CavGuy
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CavGuy said:

Do NOT give up. MEPS is horrendous. Having had the pleasure of visiting two MEPS a total of 6 times, I an attest to the inefficiency of paperwork handling at times. A squared away recruiter will keep fighting for you and stay on top of the MEPS folks. Hang in there.

Wow 6 times? That is ridiculous. Glad you eventually got through though.

 

I've actually just learned that MEPS and SG HATE letters from doctors. Annnnd that is what I have been giving them for proof of these tests... Not saying it is a 100% thing but I really hope resubmitting all of my records and not just notes will put me on the good side.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2021 at 12:45 AM, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Wow 6 times? That is ridiculous. Glad you eventually got through though.

 

I've actually just learned that MEPS and SG HATE letters from doctors. Annnnd that is what I have been giving them for proof of these tests... Not saying it is a 100% thing but I really hope resubmitting all of my records and not just notes will put me on the good side.

They hate them but also ask for them.  Stack the evidence against them.  If you can afford to see another couple of doctors who can all attest that you obviously don't have any of the aforementioned issues.  This seems like a textbook case of misunderstanding at all levels.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2021 at 11:37 AM, tarheelaviator said:

They hate them but also ask for them.  Stack the evidence against them.  If you can afford to see another couple of doctors who can all attest that you obviously don't have any of the aforementioned issues.  This seems like a textbook case of misunderstanding at all levels.  

Yeah I hope so. I'm meeting with my unit's flight doc soon to do a write up of my health history, this will carry more weight than some random civilian doctors. Really hoping for the best, should have some answers soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...