USAFA has offically jumped the shark

ClearedHot

Somewhat on par with the "official story," but also somewhat "spun"...

Diversity and Inclusion Reading Room opens at Academy

U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- A special reading room at the Air Force Academy might be small, but two professors say it offers cadets and faculty a treasure trove of big ideas and a safe space for open discussion.  

The Diversity and Inclusion Reading Room in McDermott Library contains “a specially curated selection of books available for borrowing, furnishings arranged for informal discussion and a response board for cadet feedback,” said Daniel Couch, an assistant English professor at the school.

“Our intention is to create an informal space for cadets and permanent party to broaden and deepen their exploration of the issues involved in diversity, inclusion and justice,” Couch said.

Mark Jensen, president of the Academy’s faculty senate and a philosophy professor, said the reading room is the result of teamwork between faculty members and the Academy’s ongoing Critical Conversation series that formed in the wake of George Floyd’s Death.

Floyd, an unarmed Black man, died May 25 in Minneapolis when a white police officer pinned him to the ground with a knee to the neck. Protesters across the world rallied in reaction, sparking an international movement surrounding racial injustice in the U.S.

“People kept mentioning books in those conversations,” Jensen said.  “There’s hundreds of books that ought to be available.”

The reading room opened at the start of the Spring Semester in January and contains a wide range of “primary sources, secondary sources, historical accounts, contemporary discussions, empirical studies and fiction,” Couch said.

“We continually invite suggestions for improving the space, as well as for additional books and resources,” he said. “Cadets are already using the space as a location to gather, peruse the material and comment on the [response] board,” he said.

Jensen hopes the reading room eventually expands.

“The next step is to find funding and procurement to purchase more books,” he said.

The reading room might be in its nascent stage, but Jensen said it’s a welcome addition to the Academy’s stance for tolerance, diversity and respect for all.     

“We need to foster an understanding about the challenges of diversity, racism and injustice, promote a wide-range of perspectives and be respectful of people we agree and disagree with,” he said.  

On 3/1/2021 at 7:33 AM, b52gator said:

Bring me men cadets that need safe spaces

AFROTC guy here. However, if a USAFA cadet needs a safe space, he/she/ze? is in the wrong institution/profession.  Women's studies at Mount Holyoke might be a better choice.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sputnik said:

There are so many things I dislike about the Academy, but I can’t seem to summon any anger about this.

It’s a reading room in the library.  What am I missing?

Seriously?  It starts with a reading room in the library, it evolves into a CBT and culminates with a new policy requiring the same in every squadron.

Slow erosion of common sense often goes unnoticed or unchallenged until you wake up in a dystopian world where the laws of physics no longer make sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I dunno, the library has a lot of dedicated reading rooms.  I think the CBT predated the room

There’s a long list of shit I despise about the place, I can’t really begrudge you for having a different list.

13 hours ago, pawnman said:

Not this specifically... but I've never walked away from a conversation about the Academy thinking,  "man, I sure wish I'd gone there".

It was free (actually you get paid) and you could be a *very* unpopular cadet with leadership and still get a pilot slot. And for people like me with problems self-motivating for academics, you don't have the freedom to skip class or slack off. That's about it.

Otherwise,

USAFA --> Active Duty : ROTC --> Guard/Reserve.

It was free (actually you get paid) and you could be a *very* unpopular cadet with leadership and still get a pilot slot. And for people like me with problems self-motivating for academics, you don't have the freedom to skip class or slack off. That's about it.

Otherwise,

Yeah, hard pass.

Anyways, is it the right approach to “create” a safe space when what you really want is the world to be “safer” (for you)? Seems like a facade at best...

I’m for more respect of each other. Just doesn’t seem to me like these “safe spaces” do that in any way...

~Bendy

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

15 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

Otherwise,

In my DLF UPT class long ago, it was me and a couple of guard guys; the rest were USAFA. We were a pretty tight class.  Some of the Academy studs were tasting relative freedom and did the binge blackout drinking I got out of my system as a freshman fraternity pledge.  I was sort of the big brother when we headed to SA or Austin.  Great times. 

God damn, there’s a lot of butt hurt in a topic making fun of people for getting butt hurt. Let them have their reading room. You all have more important things to worry about.  Now let me get back to editing this PowerPoint presentation.

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2021 at 8:23 PM, Lord Ratner said:

Otherwise,

"Skip class or slack off?"  I majored in that @ U of Hawaii.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/12/2021 at 9:40 PM, zachbar said:

God damn, there’s a lot of butt hurt in a topic making fun of people for getting butt hurt. Let them have their reading room. You all have more important things to worry about.  Now let me get back to editing this PowerPoint presentation.

Not seeing anyone butt hurt? Just making fun of the wokeism that has plagued our academy and the military. Do we even care about winning wars anymore?

The only blue-suiter calling it a safe space is some idiot PA hack. it's a diversity and inclusion reading room. Are you guys seriously suggesting that's a bad idea?

“Our intention is to create an informal space for cadets and permanent party to broaden and deepen their exploration of the issues involved in diversity, inclusion and justice,”

https://www.usafa.af.mil/News/News-Display/Article/2508630/exploring-big-ideas-diversity-and-inclusion-reading-room-opens-at-academy/

So, for frame of reference, I'd imagine that most universities and colleges instituted some version of this "safe space" silliness years ago with little or no fanfare.  While I strongly disagree with the concept, it's not surprising to find that USAFA had this instituted on them (I highly doubt some cadet was whining for a safe space so loud that they made on for him). 

This sounds like something done TO the institution, not BY the institution.  

Don't believe me?  How many USAF members here wanted to create an annual SAPR training in the format it currently takes (critiquing the format, not the content)?  Yet you do it every year.  

If we're weeping for the country based on what a small federal school in Colorado is doing, we're way behind the power curve.

• 1 year later...

The foundational school of USAF leadership..."We will not lie, steal, or cheat, nor tolerate among us anyone who does. Furthermore, I resolve to do my duty and to live honorably, (so help me God)".   I guess it doesn't count when it is the institution doing the cheating.

Air Force Football Sanctioned for Recruiting Violations

"The Action Network, citing sources, reported in May that the Falcons were being investigated for hosting high school prospects on campus during dead periods in 2020 and providing them with improper benefits." 

I am sure someone got a "Defiantly Promote" for that one.