Being overweight at MEPS

JKA360

I know this topic is in the “Aviation Medicine” category but I don’t really know where else to post.

So I have been picked up for a guard unit and I am going to go to MEPS in the next few weeks. I am pretty healthy overall but when I took a look at my weight on a scale, I am about 3 lbs under the max for my height (max weight for my height is 180). I understand the AF says that you need to be at least 5 lbs under to join. I am not sure what my BMI is but I am relatively muscular, so I am guessing that is a contribution to my overall weight.

In the scenario that you are either slightly under the max or over the max weight when you process through MEPS (say +\- 2lbs) will I need to go through MEPS all over again, or will they weigh me again when I go to OTS? I won’t ship off for at least another 8 months so I definitely plan to lose 10 lbs before then which I think is reasonable. I just want to make sure if this counts a “failing MEPS” and will delay me in getting my FC medical screening and ultimately delay my OTS date. 

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 10:54 AM, Stoker said:

MEPS won't process you if you're overweight. I weighed in 1 lb over and had to come back a week later (where I weighed in 8 or 9 lbs under). Quite frustrating since I was traveling a fair distance on my own dime to go to MEPS.

Wow that's pretty brutal. Was it 1lb over the max weight or 1lb over the 5 pound "buffer zone"?

Hope my question doesn't sound too confusing.