Big Tech Oligarchs

ClearedHot

17 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

Hell, it's local regulations that prevent me from charging my powerwalls from the grid, even though I think that's entirely stupid. I can buy electricity from the grid and use it for literally anything I can think of...except charge my home storage batteries. I can heat a pool, run a dryer for 24 hours per day, charge multiple EVs, etc., but stupid short-sighted regulations say I can't directly charge my powerwalls from the grid - it's dumb.

That's knee slapping funny.  I'm in AZ

1 minute ago, uhhello said:

Water isn’t an issue. 78% of our water goes to growing alfalfa and the like in the desert.   

Well, you’re getting around 25% less from the Colorado due to federal rationing cuts due to the drought. It’s sorta an issue since that area grows crops for the U.S. during the winter months. 

23 minutes ago, Sua Sponte said:

Well, you’re getting around 25% less from the Colorado due to federal rationing cuts due to the drought. It’s sorta an issue since that area grows crops for the U.S. during the winter months. 

Obviously there will be issues but the sky is falling all of the southwest will have to migrate crowd gets a bit annoying.  Agriculture will have to adapt along with the US food supply demands.  Lots of changes coming.

8 hours ago, uhhello said:

Obviously there will be issues but the sky is falling all of the southwest will have to migrate crowd gets a bit annoying.  Agriculture will have to adapt along with the US food supply demands.  Lots of changes coming.

Adapt is a word...right now the farmers are lashing out at everyone when they should look in the mirror.  Some of the farmers tried to point the finger at Cannon AFB and their water usage given the Ogallala Aquifer is projected to be depleted in 10 years.  Curry County New Mexico has a population of 48,000.  Cannon has a bit over 12,000 Active Duty, GS/NAF employees plus dependents. The base itself uses less than a quarter of the red sliver...who is causing the issue?

You are 100% correct, things are going to change, they must.

In the graph below the red is public water for utilities.  676519905_ScreenShot2023-01-25at6_14_37AM.thumb.png.3da0a3b9d0ecb246d28738e19884fc8d.png

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

image.jpeg.d1b7ceacf1a17ac7f431464b13b124d9.jpeg

Nerds!!!!!!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, uhhello said:

But you're not selling your excess power back to the man then.  Which is fine but not possible as far as I know if you aren't storing but returning your excess.  It would be tough to find a contractor that would be willing to install a solar setup and not follow the local code/rules.

Ok fair enough.  We don't have those codes here for now.  But if we did, and don't quote me on this, but there are a lot of videos on how to bypass the contractors and install every bit of it yourself.

9 minutes ago, filthy_liar said:

Ok fair enough.  We don't have those codes here for now.  But if we did, and don't quote me on this, but there are a lot of videos on how to bypass the contractors and install every bit of it yourself.

For sure.  Wasn't in the cards for me 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

"They have been joined by advocates — both liberal and conservative — who portray the internet as a cesspool of disinformation and hate speech, a home for stalkers and fraudsters and a contributor to teen suicides and mass shootings. Critics also say social media companies get rich and keep viewers online by amplifying the most extreme claims and the angriest voices"

Scare the people into more government regulations.  

They could also educate people to not believe everything they read or hear?  That seemed to work prior to the internet.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Biff_T said:

"They have been joined by advocates — both liberal and conservative — who portray the internet as a cesspool of disinformation and hate speech, a home for stalkers and fraudsters and a contributor to teen suicides and mass shootings. Critics also say social media companies get rich and keep viewers online by amplifying the most extreme claims and the angriest voices"

Scare the people into more government regulations.  

They could also educate people to not believe everything they read or hear?  That seemed to work prior to the internet.  

Exactly. Prior to the internet. Laws became necessary with each technological revolution. Fortunately with the internet we acted with great discretion to see what the new technology would become, and now almost 30 years later, I think we know enough to decide what is and isn't ok.

It's easy to just stick your fingers in your ears and call on "personal responsibility," but do we really expect 13 year old girls to just be responsible and not consume content that makes them suicidal? 

But Seth, what about the parents!? That's their job!! Well what about kids with no parents? Or shitty parents? We just doom them to the predations of corporate sociopaths who will do anything to sell more ads?

We need laws that protect children because we have decided as a society that they can't protect themselves.

Adults don't need the same protection, but they do need to know the rules of the game, and that the game is fair. Expecting everyone to read dozens of EULAs and consent to selling their personal data to advertising giants to use software that is expected by most professions now is a broken concept.

I do not trust the government, like many here. But I think people are forgetting *why* it's bad to trust government. Too much power in the hands of too few people tends to create tyrants who act to enrich themselves and lock out competition to their thrones.

The tech "oligarchs," as this thread is titled, seem to fit that description a little too well these days, and I don't trust them either.

• Upvote 1

There's no easy answer to solve this problem but I'd rather restrict the viewing age of content than give the government full control.   

Don't let children under 21 consume beer or social media.  🤔  

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

If true...thought police in action.  I used to shake my head when reading books that showcased how people could quickly turn against their own countrymen (eg...WW2).  To arbitrarily do such a thing with out even the least bit of investigation is insane and indicative of what is wrong with cancel culture today.  The arrogance of the organization to not even offer an apology or recompense, is also indicative of those who push cancel culture.   

Edited by SocialD

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

WTF!!!

While I appreciate the bravery of posting a video of yourself, I gotta say that it's dangerous. 

People will find out what you look like, and possibly geolocate you, though you did a good job with the ambiguous background...irregardlessly

Worst of all: That cat owes you.

Edited by FourFans

38 minutes ago, FourFans said:

While I appreciate the bravery of posting a video of yourself, I gotta say that it's dangerous. 

People will find out what you look like, and possibly geolocate you, though you did a good job with the ambiguous background...irregardlessly

Worst of all: That cat owes you.

Not following?  He is recounting a story published by another person?  This guy in the video has been around forever showing how to repair IT items on your own.  

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

Not following?  He is recounting a story published by another person?  This guy in the video has been around forever showing how to repair IT items on your own.  

Exactly, he is a leader in the right to repair movement and fighting the suppressive layers of horrible bureaucracy that exist in NYC...Ultimately he left NYC for Texas, but it didn't stop there.    If you want a prime example of just how horrid uber-liberal government can be check out his channel.  A few gems of what they did to him...They filed liens against him for taxes he had already paid...and they misspelled the name which added to the A$$F@ckery.  Then the filed a warrant on him, again for taxes he had already paid.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Exactly, he is a leader in the right to repair movement and fighting the suppressive layers of horrible bureaucracy that exist in NYC...Ultimately he left NYC for Texas, but it didn't stop there.    If you want a prime example of just how horrid uber-liberal government can be check out his channel.  A few gems of what they did to him...They filed liens against him for taxes he had already paid...and they misspelled the name which added to the A$$F@ckery.  Then the filed a warrant on him, again for taxes he had already paid.

Yeah I loved watching his earlier videos repairing stuff.  Didn't keep up with following him though.  Shitty.  

How did canceling become a thing?  Because people place more value on their internet personality than actual life.  Vanity?  Its amazing how little social media impacts you when you dont engage with it religiously.  Anyways, I'm glad im still smarter than my house.  Social media and Big Tech Oligarchs will continue to ruin the world.  

Edit: Im still not smarter than the English language.

Edited by Biff_T

7 hours ago, uhhello said:

I was trying to make a joke and it went poorly....

• 6 months later...