Big Tech Oligarchs

ClearedHot

Yea, between charging to 100% every time and driving around for about ~1K miles in a month, the range estimator has seems very accurate and linear. More so than the gas gauge on my proviso vehicle haha! Like I said, I think the BMS software is improved.

Apologies CH, I'm further derailing the thread - we need another one on self sufficiency.  This ban the gas stoves nonsense, even though we all know it isn't going to pass this round...should be concerning. I mean they could at any moment cut the natural gas.  Everyone with electric stoves is good...until the electric grid fails or is shut off.  Now nsplayer can't get around.  It seems ridiculous as hell but think about when you were in Iraq, Afghanistan and the HOA.  They didn't turn into shitholes without any means to sustain themselves overnight.  A better example is Argentina and Venezuela.  No gas for you.  No electricity for you.  No Krogers for you. No city water for you.  I tell people to think about that.  And of course it falls mostly on deaf ears because that could never happen to us in America.  Well, I hope they don't turn off the natural gas stoves and then...wait for it...heat.

Imma be good, I have rooftop solar that can't be turned off or denied by any government entity short of them physically assaulting my castle through what I anticipate would be voluminous and effective fires. 😎

Every libertarian who hates the government and wants to be self-sufficient should invest in rooftop solar, wind (if you have space), rain collection & purification (and/or a well) and farming (if you have the space).

I, as a normie suburban Dem, have started doing what I can in the location I'm at even while I work for and don't inherently fear or hate the government. I encourage everyone else of all stripes to do the same.

On the issue you raised, gas stoves are indeed very likely poisoning your family and causing significant excess childhood asthma specifically, but I also believe bans rarely work. Shit, look how long it took to get lead out of paint and gas after we knew it was highly toxic. We literally nerfed half the country a handful of IQ points across the entire population due to lead gas until we wised up...oops!

Instead of a ban that won't pass and won't work even if it did, I'd rather see induction technology just get so good and so cheap that eventually people largely stop using gas stoves. This happens all the time and it's fine. People still have horses and that's great, but not everyone has to shovel shit out of the road anymore and travel at ~5-10mph across our vast country, and I for one support that!

I currently have a gas stove and like it, but will replace it with induction probably later this year. Partly because I have solar and thus can't lose access to electricity like I could theoretically lose access to gas, partly because I like new tech and inventions, and partly because I have young kids at home that I'd rather not poison quite so much if I can help it. YMMV. I will keep my gas grill on the patio because when you're outdoors, feel free to light stuff on fire mostly at will, air quality issues are mitigated by the wind and the open spaces on the big ole blue marble we're all living on.

Edited by nsplayr

21 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Imma be good, I have rooftop solar that can't be turned off or denied by any government entity short of them physically assaulting my castle through what I anticipate would be voluminous and effective fires. 😎

Every libertarian who hates the government and wants to be self-sufficient should invest in rooftop solar, wind (if you have space), rain collection & purification (and/or a well) and farming (if you have the space).

I, as a normie suburban Dem, have started doing what I can in the location I'm at even while I work for and don't inherently fear or hate the government. I encourage everyone else of all stripes to do the same.

On the issue you raised, gas stoves are indeed very likely poisoning your family and causing significant excess childhood asthma specifically, but I also believe bans rarely work. Shit, look how long it took to get lead out of paint and gas after we knew it was highly toxic. We literally nerfed half the country a handful of IQ points across the entire population due to lead gas until we wised up...oops!

Instead of a ban that won't pass and won't work even if it did, I'd rather see induction technology just get so good and so cheap that eventually people largely stop using gas stoves. This happens all the time and it's fine. People still have horses and that's great, but not everyone has to shovel shit out of the road anymore and travel at ~5-10mph across our vast country, and I for one support that!

I currently have a gas stove and like it, but will replace it with induction probably later this year. Partly because I have solar and thus can't lose access to electricity like I could theoretically lose access to gas, partly because I like new tech and inventions, and partly because I have young kids at home that I'd rather not poison quite so much if I can help it. YMMV. I will keep my gas grill on the patio because when you're outdoors, feel free to light stuff on fire mostly at will, air quality issues are mitigated by the wind and the open spaces on the big ole blue marble we're all living on.

You are a weird dude.  Don't take that the wrong way. You are a flaming liberal ok take the flaming off but you are definitely a liberal, and yet you are more self sufficient and have more know how and are actually doing self sufficient things than anyone on here. A lot of people could learn from you.  your political leanings, those are right out, but you have a hell of a lot to offer in terms of self sufficiency.  I'm sure you have a load to offer in other things but this one thing I picked up on.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

You are a weird dude.  Don't take that the wrong way. You are a flaming liberal ok take the flaming off but you are definitely a liberal, and yet you are more self sufficient and have more know how and are actually doing self sufficient things than anyone on here. A lot of people could learn from you.  your political leanings, those are right out, but you have a hell of a lot to offer in terms of self sufficiency.  I'm sure you have a load to offer in other things but this one thing I picked up on.

It's almost like people can't be put into two categories with pre-ordained beliefs spelled out. Yet somehow most Americans act like that's exactly the reality. Turns out that when people think there are only two opposing teams competing, they cheer/donate/vote/campaign/rage far more than if they believe there are many teams with varying overlaps.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

Are you hitting on nsplayr?

• Haha 3

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/with-3-words-microsofts-ceo-showed-that-you-can-lay-off-10000-people-with-empathy.html

Are "You are fired" the three empathetic words to lay off the masses?   Why is Elon horrible but Satya is a saint?  There is no easy way to tell people they're fired.  Every company in the free world, at some point, can lay people off for profit.  Don't try to tell me that Microsoft is better at firing people for profit than other companies.  That's ridiculous. Another douche writer spinning shit to make some people look better than others for doing the exact same thing.   

"Oohhh look at us at Microsoft, we're so much better at firing people".  Lol.  

On 1/13/2023 at 2:56 PM, nsplayr said:

@filthy_liar I appreciate it, and esp if you're very rich...I'm listening 🍆😆 Everyone has a price ,and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves & just hasn't heard a big enough number yet.

Wasn't it Bill Burr who said he'd blow a dude for $10 million? "You spend a million dollars on mouthwash, you still have $9 million!"

• Haha 3

On 1/12/2023 at 11:19 PM, Lord Ratner said:

It's almost like people can't be put into two categories with pre-ordained beliefs spelled out. Yet somehow most Americans act like that's exactly the reality. Turns out that when people think there are only two opposing teams competing, they cheer/donate/vote/campaign/rage far more than if they believe there are many teams with varying overlaps.

Valid.

On 12/29/2022 at 8:33 PM, uhhello said:

Local utility here won't allow panels on roof AND be on the city grid.  We sell back enough that our total power bill the entire year is about $100 and that is only due to the monthly connection fee.  

I missed this.  How on earth is the local utility company/coop able to dictate what you put on your roof, how you power your home, cook, etc?  That is almost unbelievable to me.  Do they shut off your city grid power if you don't comply?  Fine you?  Put a lien on your home?  That is completely unamerican and needs to be shut down.  Are you by chance in a non-free state?  I'd hate to see the gun laws there.

Your second sentence is awesome, but I could not live under the conditions of your first sentence.

1 hour ago, filthy_liar said:

I missed this.  How on earth is the local utility company/coop able to dictate what you put on your roof, how you power your home, cook, etc?  That is almost unbelievable to me.  Do they shut off your city grid power if you don't comply?  Fine you?  Put a lien on your home?  That is completely unamerican and needs to be shut down.  Are you by chance in a non-free state?  I'd hate to see the gun laws there.

Your second sentence is awesome, but I could not live under the conditions of your first sentence.

You can go completely solar but they won't connect you back to their grid if you have panels on your roof and don't comply with their requirements.  They say its a safety thing for them.  

33 minutes ago, uhhello said:

You can go completely solar but they won't connect you back to their grid if you have panels on your roof and don't comply with their requirements.  They say its a safety thing for them.  

So they are "anti-green"?

1 hour ago, VMFA187 said:

So they are "anti-green"?

From their site:

If a power outage occurs, your PV system is required to shut down automatically for safety reasons. This prevents excess energy generated by your system from flowing back to our circuits while our crews are repairing equipment, which must be de-energized to prevent an electrical hazard.

That’s really dumb. My system was designed and inspected by the local utility so it does not feed back into the grid during an outage, only while things are working normally. It’s not rocket science! That sucks that your utility is way behind the times. Where approx. do you live? 

Edited by nsplayr

8 hours ago, nsplayr said:

That’s really dumb. My system was designed and inspected by the local utility so it does not feed back into the grid during an outage, only while things are working normally. It’s not rocket science! That sucks that your utility is way behind the times. Where approx. do you live? 

California doesn't exactly make it easy either.

9 hours ago, nsplayr said:

You have a battery though right?  I think thats the difference.   Somehow

3 minutes ago, uhhello said:

You have a battery though right?  I think thats the difference.   Somehow

Yea I do, 2x Powerwalls. But if you produce more than what the powerwalls can hold + your house load, my system will feed back into the grid. Either way, it’s dumb and regulations around clean energy projects need to be sign did you streamlined and liberalized to allow people to build all the stuff we’re gonna need.

9 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

Yea I do, 2x Powerwalls. But if you produce more than what the powerwalls can hold + your house load, my system will feed back into the grid. Either way, it’s dumb and regulations around clean energy projects need to be sign did you streamlined and liberalized to allow people to build all the stuff we’re gonna need.

Your system feeds back into the system even during an outage?  I mean I kind of see their point.  If power is being fed back into a line that they think is isolated, they would have to determine which houses are still powered and manually disocnnect them in order to service the line.

Edited by uhhello

2 minutes ago, uhhello said:

Your system feeds back into the system even during an outage?  

No, only during normal ops. If the grid goes down the software in the Tesla gateway knows and shuts down that pathway, or I can also do that via software or the physical cutoff switch on the side of my house if needed for some reason.

Edited by nsplayr

1 minute ago, nsplayr said:

No, only during normal ops. If the grid goes down the software in the Tesla gateway knows and shuts down that pathway, which I can also do via software or via the hard cutoff switch if needed for some reason.

Right, so I'm not seeing how the utility would regulate non-battery bank homes to prevent feeding back into the grid.  I'm sure its possible but we've lived here for 5 years now and have had zero outages so not a big deal to me.  

uhhello you should be able to completely separate your solar from the utility company.  That's what they do here.  The solar batteries, regulators, panels, etc are all feeding a box that is completely separate from the power company's box.  Unless they physically came out and inspected, they would never know that you had the solar setup.

Now if you're saying that if your utility bill suddenly dropped and now you're carrying a spike for an inspection from the utility company - you are indeed living in an unfree state.

43 minutes ago, filthy_liar said:

uhhello you should be able to completely separate your solar from the utility company.  That's what they do here.  The solar batteries, regulators, panels, etc are all feeding a box that is completely separate from the power company's box.  Unless they physically came out and inspected, they would never know that you had the solar setup.

Now if you're saying that if your utility bill suddenly dropped and now you're carrying a spike for an inspection from the utility company - you are indeed living in an unfree state.

But you're not selling your excess power back to the man then.  Which is fine but not possible as far as I know if you aren't storing but returning your excess.  It would be tough to find a contractor that would be willing to install a solar setup and not follow the local code/rules.

Edited by uhhello

6 minutes ago, uhhello said:

It would be tough to find a contractor that would be willing to install a solar setup and not follow the local code/rules.

Yea this is it. It's not "living in an 'unfree state'" like filthy keeps implying, I think as shorthand for California or other "liberal" states. 

I live in Tennessee, very red, in a exurban/rural part of the state at that, my utility absolutely had all kinds of codes & agreements and crap we had to get squared away. Well, mostly my solar installer, but the compliance work was done either way. And the local inspector had a stick up his ass so he was out here poking around three separate times.

There are no state incentives to go solar here and power is really cheap from the grid, so it's more of a niche product rather than a savvy financial move like it is in many places. "Free state" status confirmed I guess 🤷‍♂️

We are connected to the grid though even with a large amount of solar generation and battery backup, and that's the right setup for a lot of people unless you're building on a piece of land that's not anywhere near a grid connection. That way you can use the grid itself as a massive and 99.XX% reliable "backup" for when it's cloudy long enough that I'm not able to sustain self-generation with normal daily loads (so to speak). The fact that I have to sign an interconnect agreement and comply with the utility's rules & local codes is well worth it...par for the course when you're building almost anything, even if I fully support loosening regulations around clean energy projects.

Hell, it's local regulations that prevent me from charging my powerwalls from the grid, even though I think that's entirely stupid. I can buy electricity from the grid and use it for literally anything I can think of...except charge my home storage batteries. I can heat a pool, run a dryer for 24 hours per day, charge multiple EVs, etc., but stupid short-sighted regulations say I can't directly charge my powerwalls from the grid - it's dumb.