How am I going to charge my electric car?

arg

On 3/8/2021 at 7:44 AM, MCO said:

He went down voting my old posts again today, all 26 of my down votes are him, lol

I've gone into the control panel and banned him, deleted his posts, and removed any reputation points he has given.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...

Five months but two big delays waiting on the machine shop and a month recovering from COVID. 

Had to wait 8 weeks to get work done at the machine shop the first time...I guess everyone is rebuilding motors during COVID?

Had a setback when assembling the first time, while torquing the heads one of the head bolt threads pulled out of the block. I could have fix it myself if it wasn't such a critical item. Had to wait another ten days to get a slot at the machine shop so he could jig it correctly and put a helicoil in it.

Also spent a few days planning and installing an evacuation system.  The motor is the original 327 HP which was turning 365 HP with a road draught tube system.  That system is used to ventilate the crank case and remove unwanted gases.  It was a shitty design and a lot of 327s from that era smoke as a result, especially when you really get on it.  I could have gone the traditional PVC system but Instead opted for an evacuation system which keeps a negative pressure in the crankcase as opposed to a PVC system which relieves pressure as it builds up.  A little extra work and some welding but a much better result.

Glad it is finally done.  Wife wants an early 50's pickup restomod so that may be the next project.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Five months but two big delays waiting on the machine shop and a month recovering from COVID. 

Had to wait 8 weeks to get work done at the machine shop the first time...I guess everyone is rebuilding motors during COVID?

Had a setback when assembling the first time, while torquing the heads one of the head bolt threads pulled out of the block. I could have fix it myself if it wasn't such a critical item. Had to wait another ten days to get a slot at the machine shop so he could jig it correctly and put a helicoil in it.

Also spent a few days planning and installing an evacuation system.  The motor is the original 327 HP which was turning 365 HP with a road draught tube system.  That system is used to ventilate the crank case and remove unwanted gases.  It was a shitty design and a lot of 327s from that era smoke as a result, especially when you really get on it.  I could have gone the traditional PVC system but Instead opted for an evacuation system which keeps a negative pressure in the crankcase as opposed to a PVC system which relieves pressure as it builds up.  A little extra work and some welding but a much better result.

Glad it is finally done.  Wife wants an early 50's pickup restomod so that may be the next project.

That’s fantastic. Great work

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Not that it would have solved the problem, or maybe it would have, but just for added coolness since you're not putting out wicked high HP (still a good amount though), there are some fairly economical head stud kits out there. I found one that was significantly cheaper than an ARP head stud kit, and was very impressed with the quality of it. 

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

There's always setbacks. Can't remember rebuilding an engine and not having one. One memorable example that was my own fault. Stripped a hole in the fly wheel on my 69 Camaro because I misread the torque specs. I went ahead and put helicoils in all the holes because I was concerned about balance, that took awhile. What a sinking feeling when that bolt all of a sudden becomes loose.

Tangentially related to ClearedHot’s issue: all the aviation motor rebuild shops are also backlogged like crazy, so it seems like it is the time across the board to get rebuilds done combined with shops navigating restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

4 hours ago, ryleypav said:

Not that it would have solved the problem, or maybe it would have, but just for added coolness since you're not putting out wicked high HP (still a good amount though), there are some fairly economical head stud kits out there. I found one that was significantly cheaper than an ARP head stud kit, and was very impressed with the quality of it. 

Tracking.  I have aftermarket performance heads (came that way), that are in great shape and really help add HP.  However, the stud kit for those heads requires constant re-torquing which I wanted to avoid so I went with a set that requires initial an torque then one retorque after break in.  It also had a racing cam which was great for power but a bit more difficult as a daily driver (my wife hated it....really had to feather the clutch in first gear).  I am happy with the outcome, easier to drive but still enough power to remind me of my lost youth (jumped on it yesterday and had the rear end hoping).

On 3/24/2021 at 12:58 PM, ClearedHot said:

Tingle away brother...

IMG_7144.jpg

Nice!!!  That V8 sounds like America.  Every time I hear a car like that I wish it was a bit louder.

I just picked up a used 911.  Wanted one since I was like 10 years old - less torque than a 60's vette but it's a ton of fun..  Finally makes me understand the MX-5 and S2000 mafia.

Sad thing is that new manual, normally aspirated sports cars are becoming exceedingly rare - especially something with no electronic supervision like that old school vette.  It's a shame.

Its unfortunate but the emissions laws and automation are going to make great drivers cars a thing of the past.

1 hour ago, billy pilgrim said:

Finally makes me understand the MX-5 and S2000 mafia.

I’ve owned both. Currently rocking an 05 Mazdaspeed Miata (the only factory turbo’d MX5). Previously had a 2000 AP1 S2000. The Honda was the best driver’s car I’ve ever driven. I regret selling it every day. However the Mazda came in at a price point where I didn’t feel bad about dropping in a roll bar and new suspension to facilitate track use. I feel much better about flogging a $10K whip around a circuit than the Honda, which was pristine and worth much more. Still, in a perfect world, I’d have room for both AND an air cooled 911 in my garage. I think you’re right about good driver’s cars going away. One only has to spend a few minutes browsing Bring a Trailer to realize that prices of good analogue machines are only going up. Get those classics while you can and hold on to em!

12 hours ago, billy pilgrim said:

Sad thing is that new manual, normally aspirated sports cars are becoming exceedingly rare - especially something with no electronic supervision like that old school vette.  It's a shame.

Its unfortunate but the emissions laws and automation are going to make great drivers cars a thing of the past

Agreed, but people want fuel economy, and naturally aspirated and electronically controlled shifting are how we get there. That and it's just easier to adjust how a car runs throughout the year, i.e. in the cold months or something similar. There just isn't a demand for manual cars anymore, so it doesn't make sense from a manufacturing standpoint. They used to be cheaper to make, but with lower demand, it's simply more expensive to tool up a line for such a low volume. 

But that's why we build cars! It's not dirt cheap, but building a SBC can be incredibly economical (relatively). Sure you could dump a lot of money into a SBC, but if you want something that sounds aggressive and puts out decent power, it's not all that expensive really. For a fun sunday driver, anything north of 400HP is overkill honestly. Not that I wouldn't want more HP myself haha.

22 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Tracking.  I have aftermarket performance heads (came that way), that are in great shape and really help add HP.  However, the stud kit for those heads requires constant re-torquing which I wanted to avoid so I went with a set that requires initial an torque then one retorque after break in.  It also had a racing cam which was great for power but a bit more difficult as a daily driver (my wife hated it....really had to feather the clutch in first gear).  I am happy with the outcome, easier to drive but still enough power to remind me of my lost youth (jumped on it yesterday and had the rear end hoping).

Ahh gotcha. I had never heard of having to retorque on head studs. Aluminum heads? I had steel (class rule) so maybe that makes a difference. After break in makes sense to me though. Nothing like firing up a new engine for that initial break in. New to me! I had some aftermarket stuff too, but I dont remember them requiring any re-torquing. But they also didn't have a dedicated stud kit. I wonder if that's just a stud kit thing in general?

14 hours ago, billy pilgrim said:

Nice!!!  That V8 sounds like America.  Every time I hear a car like that I wish it was a bit louder.

I just picked up a used 911.  Wanted one since I was like 10 years old - less torque than a 60's vette but it's a ton of fun..  Finally makes me understand the MX-5 and S2000 mafia.

What year?

13 hours ago, Prozac said:

I’ve owned both. Currently rocking an 05 Mazdaspeed Miata (the only factory turbo’d MX5). Previously had a 2000 AP1 S2000. The Honda was the best driver’s car I’ve ever driven. I regret selling it every day. However the Mazda came in at a price point where I didn’t feel bad about dropping in a roll bar and new suspension to facilitate track use. I feel much better about flogging a $10K whip around a circuit than the Honda, which was pristine and worth much more. Still, in a perfect world, I’d have room for both AND an air cooled 911 in my garage. I think you’re right about good driver’s cars going away. One only has to spend a few minutes browsing Bring a Trailer to realize that prices of good analogue machines are only going up. Get those classics while you can and hold on to em!

My old 911 isn't even close to as fast as modern cars with a scant 325rwhp, but man does it feel faster!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

My old 911 isn't even close to as fast as modern cars with a scant 325rwhp, but man does it feel faster!

Yeah I get that.  2009 4S.  Probably close to that 325hp at the wheels.. it feels like it's just getting into its element around 90mph..  much like a fighter accelerating through 400kcas..  my friend says the 911 turbo (996) is similar but happens around 130mph..

I ride sport bikes too, and they are for sure more fun - but the 911 comes pretty close.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:38 PM, billy pilgrim said:

Yeah I get that.  2009 4S.  Probably close to that 325hp at the wheels.. it feels like it's just getting into its element around 90mph..  much like a fighter accelerating through 400kcas..  my friend says the 911 turbo (996) is similar but happens around 130mph..

I ride sport bikes too, and they are for sure more fun - but the 911 comes pretty close.

Nice. I'd love to get into a 996T but I'm out of garage space. 

On 3/25/2021 at 9:30 AM, arg said:

There's always setbacks. Can't remember rebuilding an engine and not having one

Did a full rebuild of everything forward of the firewall. Moment of truth, running pretty well...and quit. No restart, fuck! 3 hours later - did I put the fuel pump push rod in? The little things will get you!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, brabus said:

Did a full rebuild of everything forward of the firewall. Moment of truth, running pretty well...and quit. No restart, fuck! 3 hours later - did I put the fuel pump push rod in? The little things will get you!

YARN | I always do that. I always mess up some mundane detail. | Office  Space | Video gifs by quotes | 1c229570 | 紗

Just like my student on his I-NAV cat check.... 😄 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, brabus said:

Tell me about it.  I've driven it a few times now and had a hiccup on Saturday.  Drove out to the beach and on the way back noticed a little smoke which I expected as I break in the motor.  All of a sudden white smoke everywhere..my heart sank thinking I threw a rod.  I immediately pulled over and shut the engine off.  Popped the hood expecting to see disaster, turns out it was the radiator hose going into the engine intake.  I'm using a racing coolant and it must have been the additive causing the excessive white smoke (it wasn't steam).  I added coolant, tightened the hose (like I should have the first time), and drove it home no issues (except for changing my shorts when I got home).

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

To add to this discussion, have had a Model Y Long Range for a month now. Most fun vehicle I've ever owned. I typically drive 20 miles to AF base or airport parking lot and back. 300 mile range more than sufficiently covers that!

Blow the doors off most vehicles and never slows down to switch gears.

If I happen to feel like driving cross-country, wife has Lexus SUV.

Tesla is awesome, especially at the 52K price point 

• Like 1