How am I going to charge my electric car?

arg

They make the world’s quickest cars that never need servicing and can drive themselves if you don’t care to. Things that all of the antique automakers are unable to do. You can charge them using the goddam roof of your energy-independent Powerwall system that they also build.
It’s the most American thing ever, built here, and the envy of the world.
But yeah, I can’t see how that’s revolutionary.

Wow you mean if I spend half the equity of my mortgage to purchase both the vehicle and an infrastructure that won’t move with me if I relocate, I can drive a car that isn’t big enough to suit my needs and charge it from the comfort of my home!?!

What an opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lawman said:

Look around you when you drive literally anywhere in Suburbia, or look behind you if you’re like me and have a pair of car seats. That is not a comparable vehicle size to the big burly 3rd row might be an option SUVs that America has been in love with since the mid 90s.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about when I say I’m confused at exactly how Tesla is supposedly this revolutionary idea. It seems like they really want to just creat a buzz, and let a major manufacturer like GM or Ford do the heavy lifting of producing the mass of vehicles we actually buy, meanwhile Tesla will happily reap the benefits of being the go to source for infrastructure investment.

I'm not sure where you're driving but all I see on the road these days are compact SUVs and crossovers. If you exclude pickups, the top 3 selling vehicles in America for 2020 were compact SUVs: the rav4, the crv, and the equinox. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/wheels/news/best-selling-cars-suvs-pickups-2020/%3Famp

You can't spec any of those three to be even remotely close to the level of luxury and tech a Tesla has.  So the Tesla costs more. This is not difficult to understand. Tesla makes luxury electric cars with preposterous performance. So yes they're going to cost more and sell fewer total units than the companies making econo boxes. 

I will admit they're not for everyone and the infrastructure isn't full up in some parts of the country. But it's pretty cool that the premier electric car company in the world is American. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure where you're driving but all I see on the road these days are compact SUVs and crossovers. If you exclude pickups, the top 3 selling vehicles in America for 2020 were compact SUVs: the rav4, the crv, and the equinox. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/wheels/news/best-selling-cars-suvs-pickups-2020/%3Famp

You can't spec any of those three to be even remotely close to the level of luxury and tech a Tesla has.  So the Tesla costs more. This is not difficult to understand. Tesla makes luxury electric cars with preposterous performance. So yes they're going to cost more and sell fewer total units than the companies making econo boxes. 
I will admit they're not for everyone and the infrastructure isn't full up in some parts of the country. But it's pretty cool that the premier electric car company in the world is American. 

Right but nationalism/brandish in the form of performance motor sports is something we’ve seen and celebrated before. (Ford vs Ferrari, NASCAR, etc) and this is really just a new version of that when I hear people talk about Tesla. You can celebrate it and it’s achievements in high performance bleeding edge tech, it isn’t anything beyond a PR campaign for the actual mass sale by other vehicles which share little with the buzz ship. Somebody will probably try to counter with “well they already sold out the cyber truck forever so there is a demand” and I’ll remind you that ostentatious buzz purchases of people with more money than sense happen in all markets for the new must have thing. Watch broke people find a way to own the newest phone and it’s like that is written in our DNA. We live in the influencer age after all. Every first year Challenger was sold before ever arriving to a dealership and that is hardly an amazing car.

I think Tesla recognizes their marketshare cannot expand beyond a certain point and with GM saying they will go all electric in 14 years and other manufacturers taking on EV full heartedly at all trim levels they have to do something to force an influx in market participation. That’s why you see him actively switching messages from it’s totally workable to just own an EV to now saying “we don’t have the infrastructure” in more idealistic policy forums/discussions. I think he is hoping to draw attention from idealists with the power to make it happen and for serious billions bankrolled by the government in a future infrastructure bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, MyCS said:

Yeah, buy a Tesla if you want to drive the most unreliable car on the market. They are constantly ranked in the bottom for reliability. 

Teslas are cool if you want your car to plow itself and your family into barriers, semi trucks, and first responder vehicles. Teslas love ramming into parked semi trucks and first responder vehicles. The concept is moronic at best. You're creating a class of people who already suck at driving and won't know when to takeover from the FSD system. They'll be to scared and hesitant, thereby slowing down reaction time.

Tesla isn't saving the planet. Mining nickel and cobalt for battery packs is harmful to the environment. Having to plug a car in every night just wastes electricity. If you aren't generating you're own power to fuel your Tesla, you're wasting electricity period. Renewables are a very small percentage of what provides us with electricity. 

You’re having an emotional argument against whatever caricature is against you in your imagination. Is the hang-wringing environmentalist your foe?

8 hours ago, MyCS said:

Yeah, buy a Tesla if you want to drive the most unreliable car on the market. They are constantly ranked in the bottom for reliability. 

Teslas are cool if you want your car to plow itself and your family into barriers, semi trucks, and first responder vehicles. Teslas love ramming into parked semi trucks and first responder vehicles. The concept is moronic at best. You're creating a class of people who already suck at driving and won't know when to takeover from the FSD system. They'll be to scared and hesitant, thereby slowing down reaction time.

Tesla isn't saving the planet. Mining nickel and cobalt for battery packs is harmful to the environment. Having to plug a car in every night just wastes electricity. If you aren't generating you're own power to fuel your Tesla, you're wasting electricity period. Renewables are a very small percentage of what provides us with electricity.   

Autopilot in the jet kicks off sometimes too. Sometimes it's completely INOP **gasp** Should we scrap the entire concept because it isn't absolutely perfect? If I was trusting Tesla autopilot to transport my family, I'd do exactly what I do in the airplane.  Monitor it. Trust but verify. Because I'm not an idiot.

As for other drivers on the road, I would trust Tesla autopilot software over their awareness and reaction time 100 times out of 100. Do you live in a strange alternate reality where people are really courteous, attentive, skilled drivers? If so I would very much like to visit. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MyCS said:

words..

Last time I checked, sensors and cameras on cars fail.  Blah blah blah...

Last time I checked, plenty of people suck at driving too.  Lane keeping, collision avoidance braking, pacing cruise control, etc. techs have prevented accidents.  I know you don't need those since you're so defensive, but someday you might.  Or if you have kids, you may want your kids to have those techs.  I want them for my kids.   And it's companies like Tesla and others that are pushing the industry faster than it wanted. 

Interesting theory, any Tesla crash is news while the thousands of crashes by other cars is meh.  It like if a pilot does a go around, so what.  AF-1 does a go around, oh my fucking shit what the hell is going on headlines all day.

Out

Clearly the anti-Tesla crowd is more religious than the pro Tesla ones. Though I fully intend to build a house someday with a Tesla solar roof (makes sense if from built scratch) replete with power walls and a car plugged into it. Might as well skip the $35k models and go right for the Plaid+ ones so I can roll up to [literally any muscle car] at stop lights and watch them avoid eye contact. Self driving? Sure I’ll watch it do it’s thing as a lark, but I’ll trust it less than even airplane automation.

MyCS, I mean this wholeheartedly: you really come across as an argumentative clown that no one would ever want to be around. Ty some chill. I’m out of votes for the day, but I’ll catch up to your posts I promise!

2 hours ago, MyCS said:

Tesla hasn't pushed anything. Oh look, I'm too lazy to walk 1 minute to my car in a parking lot. I need to hit a button aka "summon” so my car wonders aimlessly around the parking lot to pick me up in front of Walmart. I can walk to my truck faster and I always park away from everyone else. Never have I said my life would be awesome if my car could meet me out front of a store. You want to create even more traffic in parking lots.. have at it. 

The last thing teens need is autopilot. They have high insurance rates for a reason. Their reaction time and experience is already abysmal. You think a teen is going  to know when to disengage autopilot or just let it play out like a video game? 

Those of us who have PCS'd from base to base over the past 20 years never needed an autopilot. Hell, in UPT there is no autopilot for a good reason. 

Tesla - last in reliability. Mining cobalt and nickel for Tesla's get into the food and water supply of those countries mining those metals. They had to shut down nickel mines because of the environmental disregard a few years ago. How about I let you live next to a nickel mine and you get to drive your Tesla everyday. Then let a poor family live in your house here in the US.  All so you can have autopilot.

Sounds like we have the Church of Elon Musk in this forum. Tesla needs to fix their reliability problems. Takes 3 months to get the parts to fix a Tesla after a fender bender. Tesla said they could fully automate a car manufacturing line and scoffed at Toyota/Honda. How did that work out for Musk aka Tony Stark. Tony Stark is fictional, but his inventions never rammed people into the back of parked vehicles.

Where did Elon touch you?

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.13b2014e558dbe02ed861ebc226beda3.jpegScudaria Cameron Glickenhaus is the next great American manufacturer I have my eye on right now. They will be competing for overall victory at Le Mans against Ferrari in the near future in the new top spec hypercar class. Their entry looks like pure sex compared to the recent prototype entries in WEC racing. This’ll be a real underdog vs Ferrari rivalry (unlike powerhouse Ford taking them on in the 60s). 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MyCS said:

First off, software is coded. People write the code for the software that makes it even more unreliable and subject to bugs. I don't have time for software bugs when I'm driving. If FSD was so great, why does the Tesla owner assume all the risk like a moron? What's the insurance rates on a Tesla again through a reputable company?

I don't care about the other drivers around me and what the hell they are doing. I'm a defensive driver. No software from Tesla is going to stop someone who sucks at driving from crashing into me. I've had to avoid 3-4 accidents in Texas alone because people are inattentive drivers and have the attentiveness of a baboon.

Last time I checked, sensors and cameras on cars fail. Especially when you are last in reliability like Tesla. I'm not willing to take that risk. How did it work out for the guy who burned to death in his Tesla by ramming into a highway barrier 🚧 because his car was on autopilot? 

During the pandemic, the Tesla semi logged 0 miles. Diesel and gas trucks ran night and day to transport medical, food, and whatever else we needed. As gas cars sat in garages expending zero energy because people were teleworking. People with Tesla's had their cars plugged into the grid just eating up electricity as they teleworked. Brilliant idea.

There aren't enough facepalms in the world for this comment. 

a. You proved my point exactly. You had to avoid 3-4 accidents? No shit dude.. people are terrible drivers. Why would you not want some well thought out automation to come along and help fix that problem. ABS, stability control, and traction control were all newfangled tech at one point and are now completely standard. Autopilot will be the same. 

b. Yes software is coded... Not sure why you felt the need to tell us that. But also machine learning and software updates exist. So Tesla's autopilot gets better every day based on the millions of miles Teslas drive and through deliberate updates from the company. They'll fix 99.9% of the hypothetical bugs you're so worried about before you ever knew they existed. On this subject, I'd recommend sticking to your circle because the clunky verbiage you're using indicates to me you know precisely nothing about "coding" and "bugs."

c. Pretty creative pandemic-work-from-home edge case about electric cars sitting unused. Did you think that one up yourself? I guess that's the silver bullet argument. Really got nothing for you there. Bravo. "So this one time we had a pandemic and all these tech people worked from home I think and like probably all of them have Teslas just sitting in their garages which is super wasteful I'm pretty sure because of electricity and stuff. So probably electric cars shouldn't be a thing."

Is it bad that just from your ramblings on here I can say with 90% confidence you opted out of the vaccine have a punisher decal on your vehicle?

Edited by Pooter
  • Upvote 1

Can we maybe keep one thread here a little more light hearted? Jesus, you’d think we were debating abortion or something. This whole thread is all about opinions. You might disagree and that’s fine. But “little girl”? “You had no friends growing up”? Lighten up Francis. 

On 2/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, ThreeHoler said:

Superchargers can put 200 miles in “the tank” in 15 minutes. The navigation app also knows where superchargers are and you can plan the stops...along major highways...in advance.

You’re full of shit.

So... It takes *a lot* longer to fill up, and you have to modify your route to accommodate EV charging?

Doesn't meet the threshold for "full of shit"

49 minutes ago, Majestik Møøse said:

I can’t keep up with forum drama, but I think he’s either a known troll or an actual idiot. His posts remind me of the Facebook comments that high school dropouts post.

I'm leaning toward actual idiot. It's pretty wild to see such a severe emotional reaction aimed at a car company and more specifically Tesla autopilot.. a feature you never even have to turn on if you don't want to.  Is it perfect? Of course not. But we aren't measuring it against perfection. We're measuring it against the competence of the average driver, which is to say, complete trash.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Can we maybe keep one thread here a little more light hearted? Jesus, you’d think we were debating abortion or something. This whole thread is all about opinions. You might disagree and that’s fine. But “little girl”? “You had no friends growing up”? Lighten up Francis. 

ZEMArCm.jpg

• Haha 1

Had a beer with my neighbor who has a Tesla yesterday.  He sold his 2015sh BMW 4 series coup for it.  His thoughts.....Tesla is stupid fast, but does not compare to the handling of the 4 series.  His wife thinks the interior is cheap vs the Bmer and doesn't ride as well.

Hes super techy so he thinks its cool.

The only aspect to a Tesla that appeals to me is the self driving. For a long time Waymo/Google was the only player, but Tesla has played catch-up in amazing fashion. Now it looks like they will beat Waymo to the market with a fully self-driving vehicle, and without the use of LIDAR. Rather incredible. 

Whatever the first sub-$50k self driving car is, I will buy. I'd prefer it not be a sports car, but honestly even if it's a wheel barrow I'd ride it if I could be sleeping on the way to work.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2021 at 9:55 AM, ecugringo said:

Had a beer with my neighbor who has a Tesla yesterday.  He sold his 2015sh BMW 4 series coup for it.  His thoughts.....Tesla is stupid fast, but does not compare to the handling of the 4 series.  His wife thinks the interior is cheap vs the Bmer and doesn't ride as well.

Hes super techy so he thinks its cool.

I mean, I wouldn't necessarily expect it to surpass the handling and interior of a BMW, since they're typically excellent on both of those fronts.