How difficult is taking regular leave?

texancrier

Going to be leaving AETC and going to the real operational Air Force this year, and was wondering how difficult it is to take leave with constant missions. Especially in AMC where crews seem to be gone more than they're home.

How difficult is it to grab a couple days of leave? A whole week? Does it routinely get canceled last minute for a mission? What if it's something I can forecast months in advance, does that help? Are any bases/MAJCOMs/airframes notoriously good or bad for this?

Things like a wedding/honeymoon are on the horizon for me, and just looking for general info. Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, texancrier said:

Going to be leaving AETC and going to the real operational Air Force this year, and was wondering how difficult it is to take leave with constant missions. Especially in AMC where crews seem to be gone more than they're home.

How difficult is it to grab a couple days of leave? A whole week? Does it routinely get canceled last minute for a mission? What if it's something I can forecast months in advance, does that help? Are any bases/MAJCOMs/airframes notoriously good or bad for this?

Things like a wedding/honeymoon are on the horizon for me, and just looking for general info. Thanks in advance.

Not AMC, but it's usually not that tough if you ID it in advance.  Especially for something like a wedding/honeymoon SHOULD be easy to put on the long-term schedule and get approval for.

I've never had leave cancelled for something operational.  But again...not in AMC.  Our deployment cycles were pretty predictable, so it was easy to forecast when we'd be gone and when we'd be home.

• Like 1

Generally limited to 10% per crew position (CP and IP/AC are separate).

Thanksgiving - New Years typically is by lottery (if you can swing a formal upgrade over this time, AETC typically allows holiday, though you may need to figure out where to leave your stuff).

Make sure your DO and CC are aware of major events (like marriage or a baby due date) well in advance. They'll do what they can to make sure you get those.

• Like 1

It is an entitlement and most CCs will not get in the business of denying leave especially for life events.  CCs also get scrutinized when their members have a ton of leave especially ‘use or lose’.  10% rule applies but like everything else can be flexible with good proactive leadership.  Only seen leave cancel for a short notice deployment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jazzdude said:

Generally limited to 10% per crew position (CP and IP/AC are separate).

Thanksgiving - New Years typically is by lottery (if you can swing a formal upgrade over this time, AETC typically allows holiday, though you may need to figure out where to leave your stuff).

Make sure your DO and CC are aware of major events (like marriage or a baby due date) well in advance. They'll do what they can to make sure you get those.

Yeah I'm already curious how many people are going to have to sell back in 2022 when everyone in the squadron has 90-120 days to burn off. 

I guess you just lose it unless you are seperating, but if they are smart they would start pushing for a sell option. I know in my organization leave has generally been denied (due to COVID) for the last year unless you are staying local area. 

Edited by FLEA