Civilian Path to Wings

airmax93

Hey everyone, 

I’m a current regional guy hired by a ANG unit. FC1 completed, approved and standing by for dates. Looks like I’ll be submitted to screen for the Civilian Path to Wings Program.

Anyone have information on it? It looks very new and there’s nothing out there. Would it take place at any UPT base or just a select few? Anyone currently in it and knows the timeline from start to finish and what the syllabus consists of? 

Real excited to get started. 

Thanks in advance. 

Too early to know. At my UPT base we don't even have cadre spun up yet for XPW and CPW.

Randolph is more likely for you if you're starting soon. I think this is where all the magic is happening right now for XPW and CPW.

Good luck! What is your civilian flying experience?

I know they were doing it at Randolph and Vance is supposedly starting a class within a year. From my understanding you go straight to the T-1 and then get winged as an air force aviator? Seems like a neat concept especially for the guard/reserve guys that have no reason to learn how to fly formation in the T-6 prior to going to a heavy.

12 hours ago, Air_Space said:

I know they were doing it at Randolph and Vance is supposedly starting a class within a year. From my understanding you go straight to the T-1 and then get winged as an air force aviator? Seems like a neat concept especially for the guard/reserve guys that have no reason to learn how to fly formation in the T-6 prior to going to a heavy.

Do they fly form in T-1.  For -130 follow on?

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 6:34 PM, slc said:

Do they fly form in T-1.  For -130 follow on?

As far as I know yes but the new UPT 2.5 syllabus has students go straight from T-6 to -130 so who knows. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the -1 only program isn't available for 130 people but who knows. Literally anything is possible right now it seems like

6 hours ago, Air_Space said:

As far as I know yes but the new UPT 2.5 syllabus has students go straight from T-6 to -130 so who knows. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the -1 only program isn't available for 130 people but who knows. Literally anything is possible right now it seems like

130 and U-28 folks are the only two platforms that can accept T-6 only right now. However at Vance the first 2.5 class will still track T-38/T-1.  Also fun fact the last T-6 2.0 flight at Vance took place yesterday.

To answer the OP, he'll go to Vance or Randolph. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

AFRC has 30 people selected for the CPW, of those 30 four are sponsored and the rest unsponsored. All have to do a CPW validation at Randolph. 

Average scores:

AFOQT Pilot 91

AFOQT CSO 70

AFOQT Academic 56

AFOQT Verbal 60

AFOQT Quant 51

PCSM 91

GPA 3.3

Mil flying hours 40

Civ Flying Hours 1,510

Next board is in three months

On 1/16/2021 at 4:43 PM, Air_Space said:

Can anyone who was involved in this process speak to the reason a C-130 is included with a U-28 as not needing multi-engine time? 

I think it can be argued that a C-130 is probably the top multi-engine aircraft for difficulty flying in engine out operations.  Between blown lift/flaps/ailerons and changing p-factor on top of asymmetric operations, a strong foundation in multi-engine operations seems fundamental to flying a C-130 far more than a C-5 or KC-135.  It might even be argued that the T-1 formation low level is most analogous to a C-130J and C-17 than any other MAF aircraft in terms of mission management.

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2021 at 5:34 AM, Fausto said:

Can anyone who was involved in this process speak to the reason a C-130 is included with a U-28 as not needing multi-engine time? 

I think it can be argued that a C-130 is probably the top multi-engine aircraft for difficulty flying in engine out operations.  Between blown lift/flaps/ailerons and changing p-factor on top of asymmetric operations, a strong foundation in multi-engine operations seems fundamental to flying a C-130 far more than a C-5 or KC-135.  It might even be argued that the T-1 formation low level is most analogous to a C-130J and C-17 than any other MAF aircraft in terms of mission management.

To that logic, you could almost argue we need our own T-44/TC-12 track. I’m sure a few dozen King Airs wouldn’t be that expensive to acquire and operate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey just wanted to bump this topic and see if anybody has any more information. I am a guard hire just waiting on class dates for OTS and UPT and meet all requirements for CPW. I have been hired by a C130 unit so from what I have read I might be eligible.

So far all I know is what is written here, what articles I can find online, and some "Oh I know a guy who knows a guy who is doing CPW" but other than that I can't find much else. The only official AF document I can find online is a publication pertaining to CPW in the reserve pipeline, nothing official for the ANG route. 

On 1/27/2021 at 7:49 PM, Avery0829 said:

AFRC has 30 people selected for the CPW, of those 30 four are sponsored and the rest unsponsored. All have to do a CPW validation at Randolph. 

Average scores:

AFOQT Pilot 91

AFOQT CSO 70

AFOQT Academic 56

AFOQT Verbal 60

AFOQT Quant 51

PCSM 91

GPA 3.3

Mil flying hours 40

Civ Flying Hours 1,510

Next board is in three months

Seems like some pretty low scores. Are we hiring dummies 

On 1/7/2022 at 5:18 AM, rnav2gritz said:

Hey just wanted to bump this topic and see if anybody has any more information. I am a guard hire just waiting on class dates for OTS and UPT and meet all requirements for CPW. I have been hired by a C130 unit so from what I have read I might be eligible.

So far all I know is what is written here, what articles I can find online, and some "Oh I know a guy who knows a guy who is doing CPW" but other than that I can't find much else. The only official AF document I can find online is a publication pertaining to CPW in the reserve pipeline, nothing official for the ANG route. 

Did You ask your unit if they want that?

Herc units will probably value 2-ship T-6 formation

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I wanted to check in and see if anyone is looking/participating in CPW process. I’ve been researching it and believe I can meet the minimum requirements for application in 1 year or so. I’ve a PPL and will be pursuing instrument, commercial, and multi engine ratings using Post 9/11 GI Bill.