Age waivers

Cuzjo

I'm currently in the MIANG.  Right now, I'm a traditional, fuel systems apprentice.  I have always had a love for aviation, and kick myself for not pursuing it.  I am about to be 28, the little credits I have towards college would be whatever they count from my active Army time, and Air Force training.  Zero hours flying, but know of a school I'd use for my PPL.  Do they do waivers for the age to be able to commission and shoot for it?  Or is it just a dream/lost cause at this point in time?  

I think you need to be 33 by the time you enter UPT. It can take about 2 years from date of hire to entering UPT (trust me, it certainly isn't a quick process). So, you've got 3 years to get a degree, and preferably a PPL. It's not too late, but you need to bust your ass to get there, and get stellar scores on all of the tests. With the amount of applicants these days, age waivers may be less popular of an option if a unit doesn't have to deal with it, but if they like you enough, they'll consider it. In short, you've got time, but not an abundance. You're going to be 33 in 5 years anyway, so do you want to be 33 and say you gave it your all trying to get to the dream, or be 33 and say you never gave yourself a chance. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ryleypav said:

I think you need to be 33 by the time you enter UPT. It can take about 2 years from date of hire to entering UPT (trust me, it certainly isn't a quick process). So, you've got 3 years to get a degree, and preferably a PPL. It's not too late, but you need to bust your ass to get there, and get stellar scores on all of the tests. With the amount of applicants these days, age waivers may be less popular of an option if a unit doesn't have to deal with it, but if they like you enough, they'll consider it. In short, you've got time, but not an abundance. You're going to be 33 in 5 years anyway, so do you want to be 33 and say you gave it your all trying to get to the dream, or be 33 and say you never gave yourself a chance. 

Awesome,  thank you for that! You make a good point!