College Student Interested in Fighter Units

c130rob

Hello everyone,

I am 18 years old and I am currently working on my bachelor's in aviation (79 credits completed). I am on track to graduate in May of 2022, which means I am graduating a year early from college. FWIW, I also graduated a year early from high school. I am primarily interested in F16 units. 

My AFOQT scores: Pilot: 99 Nav: 92 Acad: 77 Verbal: 66 Quant: 81

College GPA: 4.0 (Again, 79 credits completed), Dean's list and President's Honor Roll every term, no classes switched to pass/fail

PCSM/TBAS: Have not taken yet (scheduled 1/6/2021). I understand it is hard to give a good answer without this. EDIT (1/6/2021) - TBAS Completed with a 96 at my current hours and 98 once I have 201+ which will be soon

Flight Time: Currently at 185 hours with private and instrument. Will complete commercial single/multi in the next few months. 

Organizations: Academic chair in my fraternity, member of two aviation clubs at my school

Volunteering: Participate in JDRF fundraising and awareness events and I do peer tutoring

Once I have more info and I have taken the TBAS, I will update this post. 

Thank you for the feedback!

Edited by c130rob
Added flight hours, added TBAS/PCSM info

• 2 weeks later...

You're on a solid track, just keep doing what you're doing. Be aware, applying to units at 20-21 years old may actually hurt you (Not saying don't apply). I've seen maturity get in the way at UPT from some of the younger guys, so some units may stray away from a young gun for a few years. Just don't be shocked if they don't hand out a fighter slot to a 20 year old even though your package was solid. But, with covid and the back up it takes so long to get there it may work out. Keep flying and as soon as you're able to shoot applications out, do it. 

Agree with Elvis - you have some solid stuff there, but while applying to units initially, go get a civ job. The most likely situation is you’re working civ for a couple years (while applying/interviewing for an ARC pilot job) before you get hired. It’s tough to hire a 20 yr old with no real world experience, but not saying it’s impossible. Don’t let this discourage you, you have some great qualifications; you’ll turn 22 with a couple years in post-college employment before you know it (and with exponentially higher chances of getting hired). 

Thank you @elvis and @brabus for the feedback. I was always under the impression that fighter units liked younger guys, but I can see why’d they would pass on a 19/20 year old. 

I’ll be getting my CFI this summer and I am planning to instruct at that point. Will work experience as a CFI help with my young age? Also, is my age something I should explain/justify in my cover letter? What else can I do to make myself a stronger applicant being so young? It seems like my best bet would be to rush units early and show them I’m more than just a young kid. 

Sidenote: Assuming airlines start hiring in the next couple years, my worry is that I’ll get on with a regional before I get hired at a guard/reserve unit. If this happens, won’t this be a detriment to my package? 

17 minutes ago, c130rob said:

Sidenote: Assuming airlines start hiring in the next couple years, my worry is that I’ll get on with a regional before I get hired at a guard/reserve unit. If this happens, won’t this be a detriment to my package? 

No I have seen multiple friends of mine who were regional pilots get hired by heavies and fighters. Just stay humble through the process even if you go into a interview with 1000’s of flight hours. The unit just wants to see that your A. A good due that meshes with the squad and B. That you can pass training/Are trainable

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c130rob said:

Will work experience as a CFI help with my young age? Also, is my age something I should explain/justify in my cover letter? What else can I do to make myself a stronger applicant being so young? It seems like my best bet would be to rush units early and show them I’m more than just a young kid.

It will help as it further emphasizes you’re committed/have a passion for aviation, but don’t crush yourself with debt to make it happen (your current hours and ratings show you’re obviously committed to flying). I agree rushing in person is a great way to show who you are, as paper can only paint so much of the picture (in person is your opportunity to “fight” the impression that you’re too young/immature). Put the effort in as you clearly intend to do, but don’t get discouraged if it takes a little bit...you have plenty of time, and good things will come from patience and persistence.