Army Infantry Friend says 11FX(11XX) doesn't do sh!t?

Dudes & dudettes - My army infantry bro likes to remind me every time we talk military that anyone who isn't 11B ain't shit and is just a POG. I'm not asserting anything when I talk to him and even tell him that a lot of 11FX are support for boots on the ground. But still don't understand his hostility. Anyone have similar experiences? 

Edited by Ligma C-5
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Ligma C-5 said:

Dudes & dudettes - My army infantry bro likes to remind me every time we talk military that anyone who isn't 11B ain't shit and is just a POG. I'm not asserting anything when I talk to him and even tell him that a lot of 11FX are support for boots on the ground. But still don't understand his hostility. Anyone have similar experiences? 

Ask him when was the last time the Army had to hold a position while threatened by enemy aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

Ask him when was the last time the Army had to hold a position while threatened by enemy aircraft.

I asked him. He said pilot's are POGs and pussies and get to go home every night and eat good food while they sleep in the rain and hold the line. This is a fruitless pursuit. 

• Downvote 1

I asked him. He said pilot's are POGs and pussies and get to go home every night and eat good food while they sleep in the rain and hold the line. This is a fruitless pursuit. 

"We all make choices in life, and some are better than others"

You'll probably never win the argument with your friend. If nothing else, they have to rationalize enduring a lot of suck, and defending his tribe helps make all the suck they endured count for something/worthwhile. Plus it's the Army story-the soldier advancing and taking/holding ground to achieve victory.

Or you can fan the flames and give in to his position, except to point out the Marines are the real deal compared to Army infantry...And point out their uniforms look better as well.
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Ligma C-5 said:

He's my best man at the wedding and I don't want him talking shit before I head to UPT

Have we come up with a term for whatever the generation after SNAPs is yet?  Because this is probably it.  JHTFC.

1) Be secure enough in what you're doing to not care what a grunt thinks.  You're going to need a thicker skin in this job anyway.

-OR-

2) Find a new best man.

-OR-

3) Remind him that you'll be crying yourself to sleep at night in your 1000 thread count sheets and spending all that per diem while he takes his stripper wife/gf to Golden Coral in his 2009 Dodge Charger financed at 31% APR.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Buddy Spike said:

Have we come up with a term for whatever the generation after SNAPs is yet?  Because this is probably it.  JHTFC.

1) Be secure enough in what you're doing to not care what a grunt thinks.  You're going to need a thicker skin in this job anyway.

-OR-

2) Find a new best man.

-OR-

3) Remind him that you'll be crying yourself to sleep at night in your 1000 thread count sheets and spending all that per diem while he takes his stripper wife/gf to Golden Coral in his 2009 Dodge Charger financed at 31% APR.

It's actually a challenger scat pack and he did a 10 year 9% auto loan....

8 hours ago, Ligma C-5 said:

If he takes pride in being treated like shit...let him.

Most of my Army pals I met in ROTC and went on to serve are now civilians. Army likes to brag about how tough they are. Every time I’m on a sweet TDY to Greece, Denmark or even the Deid, I’m thankful I’m not sleeping on the ground clutching my woobie. Your friend can keep his pride. 7a56b8185402825f1554b414b7d30739.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

An interesting bunch indeed. I just talked with him the other day, he did his 3 or 4 year enlistment, never deployed, stuck with cleaning toilets and what not. His brother-in-law is a Bone pilot who saw combat in Afghanistan and Iraq and told me his infantry training is way harder than being a bomber. Even when he never deployed and saw combat. Delusional and insecure. 

• Downvote 1

Delusional and insecure. 

I had three mil/vet neighbors for years before I moved to another town a couple years ago. We will call them Tom (Ret Army Res E-8), Dick(current Army Res Officer) and Harry (Coast Guard Vet, current firefighter)

Our kids were all roughly the same age, so we saw all of them often. School events, youth sports, scouts, etc.)

Dick used to thump his chest and take shots at the USAF constantly. “The Air Force is nothing but support, Army tip of the spear, blah blah blah.”

I couldn’t care less for all the reasons stated above, but it just got old after a while, especially when he’d roll in at a party with civilians who really didn’t give a shit or understand what he’s talking about. It was like hanging out with the guy who always tried to keep going with a bad joke...I was embarrassed for him and by him.

Tom, Harry and I would just roll our eyes.

Well, come to find out over a couple beers later on with Tom, Dick has zero deployed time. Tom on the other hand was attached to 5th SFG in northern Iraq for a year and Harry had more sea time than you could shake a stick at.

The moral of the story is that, for the most part, those who have done the least like to run their mouths the most and vice versa.

Maybe it’s insecurity, maybe it’s jealousy, but whatever the reason that is what I’ve experienced.
  • Upvote 1