Army UH-60 Pilot to Air Force UH-60?

UH60 Driver

Question

I am an Army CW2 UH-60 Blackhawk Instructor Pilot. I am a few years out from my service obligation expiring and am in the search for a career shift at that time. 

I am curious if it is possible to transfer to the air force to fly rotary wing. I am wanting to stay on active duty and fly black hawks rather than seek a guard/tech position. I am UH-60 A/L/M qualified, over 1000 hours of rotary wing time, and previously commissioned in the Army through ROTC. 

Does anyone have experience or know someone that does in this process? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

2 answers to this question

On 12/10/2020 at 2:41 AM, UH60 Driver said:

I am an Army CW2 UH-60 Blackhawk Instructor Pilot. I am a few years out from my service obligation expiring and am in the search for a career shift at that time. 

I am curious if it is possible to transfer to the air force to fly rotary wing. I am wanting to stay on active duty and fly black hawks rather than seek a guard/tech position. I am UH-60 A/L/M qualified, over 1000 hours of rotary wing time, and previously commissioned in the Army through ROTC. 

Does anyone have experience or know someone that does in this process? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

More than possible. You should be able to do an interservice transfer, though expect it to be painful. I was a prior AD Army commissioned officer and a CW2 IP in the guard. It took 18 months to get into the Air Guard. If you were previously commissioned, you are always commissioned. You should, on day 1, go back to your previous rank and they ought to adjust your date of rank to give you equivalent time in grade (i.e. minus your warrant time). You need to go through the IST process; mine was different-ish because of the guard. You'll be limited to rotary wing unless you try to get a UPT slot. PM me for any questions you may have. If you're a few years out you're starting at the right time.