Rural Living, Self Sustainment, No Urban Weirdos, and such...

filthy_liar

38 minutes ago, FLEA said:

I loved being stationed in Rapid City. Fantastic place to raise children. It's like a village from a Hallmark movie. Winters are brutally cold though. But the scenery is 10/10. 

Agreed.  10/10, would live in Rapid City again.  Awesome downtown, plenty to do, but also rural enough to be away from your neighbors if that's what you want.  So many trails and so much public land that you can hike, bike, or hunt in a different area every weekend and still not hit everything by the end of an assignment.

Winters were cold, but usually only for a few days at a time.  Especially if you live in Rapid City proper, where you're sheltered from the worst of it by the Black Hills...the base was miserable for the occasional 0300 show times in winter.

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2020 at 5:12 AM, brabus said:

Talk to people in your area, as the composition of the soil is going to matter. Pond liner is a good idea, and make sure you have a good plan for the spillway/outflow. Our pond uses schedule 80 PVC (the green pipe); no spill way, just a horizontal pipe running through an embankment and out to a creek. Have a plan for how you will cap that horizontal pipe, considering future access for draining or repairs (I ed that one away and 85% of my pond drained undesirably this summer...I blame the beaver, who got what was coming to him...) Do you have a good source of water (spring, creek, etc.) and is it continuous flow or seasonal? Depth matters depending on climate, will you stock with fish, etc.

Did you use bentonite?  I think a liner is a bit much for an acre pond, although I've heard of people using it for a pond that size.  My soil is clay loam.  I've read that clay loam is pretty easy to seal, but everything I've dug around here (duck ponds) leaks like a sieve unless I use a pond liner.

A twist to this conversation.  Due to family/work, I plan on staying in my area for the long haul.  Once I get out of the Guard, I plan on spending 3-4 winter months somewhere warmer....homie doesn't dig snow anymore.  I'm thinking initially of trying furnished, month-to-month type rentals (for 2 adults), rather than owning.  I want to be able to hit up different locations from year-to-year before I decide whether I want to buy at a specific location or just keep trying new places.  Has anyone done the same?  Has anyone found a good resource for such rental types?  VRBO?  Airbnb? Zillow?  bitchinbeachcondos.com? 

A twist to this conversation.  Due to family/work, I plan on staying in my area for the long haul.  Once I get out of the Guard, I plan on spending 3-4 winter months somewhere warmer....homie doesn't dig snow anymore.  I'm thinking initially of trying furnished, month-to-month type rentals (for 2 adults), rather than owning.  I want to be able to hit up different locations from year-to-year before I decide whether I want to buy at a specific location or just keep trying new places.  Has anyone done the same?  Has anyone found a good resource for such rental types?  VRBO?  Airbnb? Zillow?  bitchinbeachcondos.com? 

Let me know what you find out. We are thinking something similar after my kids graduate high school (I have some time).

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

3 hours ago, SocialD said:

Yes! I have some great information of a place you can stay for free! All you need to do is listen to my "90" minute presentation! 

Haha JK. But I feel ya man. I hate the snow too. Used to love it but as I got older I realised the cold, the shoveling and wearing a closet of clothes, just wasn't fun. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, FLEA said:

Yes! I have some great information of a place you can stay for free! All you need to do is listen to my "90" minute presentation! 

No thanks, I'll take the knife set.

• Haha 2

On 12/29/2020 at 10:13 AM, SocialD said:

I picked up a Class-A RV and that is the retirement plan for my wife and I when the kids are out of the house.  We have had vacations at Virginia Beach, Coronado Island, Pensacola, Corpus Christi, etc all at $30-$35 a night.  If you can deal with the smaller space, it may be a good alternative to a dedicated summer home or Air BnB.  Cheers!

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 7:21 PM, filthy_liar said:

Did you use bentonite?  I think a liner is a bit much for an acre pond, although I've heard of people using it for a pond that size.  My soil is clay loam.  I've read that clay loam is pretty easy to seal, but everything I've dug around here (duck ponds) leaks like a sieve unless I use a pond liner.

I did use it, and my soil is a decent amount of clay. Sounds like you would probably be fine with the same method if you have continuous flow (doesn’t take much to keep it full). To be clear, I did not do a pond liner, but I’ve been told that’s generally a good idea for smaller ponds and places with sandy soil (which my geographic area does have places that are sandy). I didn’t catch the first time that you were doing an acre (fuck lining that much!) During a couple month hot streak with no rain, the pond has lost about 1-1.5 ft of depth, but it filled up quickly after a few days of heavy rain. My continuous flow is a spring, with extra flow during spring melt and heavy rains.