Spondylolysis

goodflightcowboy

Hey y'all. Got a situational question that probably doesn't have a right answer. I'm a civilian pilot, been applying/interviewing for fighters for about 2 years now. I've got spondylolysis (previous stress fracture in my back) that I'm pretty sure will hang me up medically. My understanding is that it's waiverable, but on a case by case basis, with the main focus being on the ejection seat.

I don't want to give up the dream of fighters, but the Civil Path to Wings (CPW) application came around and I decided to apply. This would skip T-6s and go straight to T-1s, meaning my back may not be a problem becoming a pilot in the USAF. 

So, if anyone has experience getting spondylolysis waived (or not) I'd love to hear about it; trying to decide if CPW would be the right move or not. I don't want to give up on the dream of flying fighters, but I also don't want to miss what might be my only shot to fly period. Thanks in advance.

• 5 months later...

@goodflightcowboy is there any update on this? I too was diagnosed with a possible case of spondylolysis in 2018 due to a combination of high school football and weight lifting. Symptom free for about 3 years until today when I tweaked it at the gym, it feels exactly like the first time. From what I'm reading (page 835)  https://www.seymourjohnson.af.mil/Portals/105/Documents/MDG Docs/Air Force Waiver Guide.pdf its waiverable if asymptomatic and less than a grade II. Theres some notes of a study about ejections in there too. Huge knot in my stomach like yourself, knowing a waiver is basically required at this point. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Depends on the severity of it, it’s effects on mobility, and harm if re-injured down the road… also depends on aviation personnel numbers at the time (do we have too many or not enough). For initial physicals, less likely to be approved as they haven’t spent any $ on you yet. But, always apply if it is what you want to do! There is risk everywhere, your dreams/goals are the priorities.  You should first ask yourself if you could live with a further debilitating condition if you do injure it - is it worth it to you?