Recent Aerospace Engr, mixed scores

aero_pilot

I'm 23yrs old, just got my Aerospace Engr degree with 3.28GPA.

P:97  N:82  AA:70  V:44  Q:88 / PCSM 90 with 81hrs, 97 with 201hrs

I know my verbal is weak, English is not my first language but I'm pretty fluent so don't feel that's an excuse (thoughts?). I have leadership experience as team lead of senior project, and on Formula SAE team. I've worked with civilian test pilots as an intern and recently started volunteering to help a mechanic fix GA aircraft.

I'm still currently searching for a real fulltime job to give me more leadership experience, so work in progress.

I want to go reserve/guard fighters, but I'm willing to apply to AD board. I know there's better scores out there, so I'm considering retaking the test.

Appreciate honest feedback.

Edited by aero_pilot

Your scores and GPA/major are pretty solid, so I’d say you’re competitive; especially for heavies.

I’d venture to say most units aren’t going to care about any of your AFOQT scores besides the Pilot and Nav beyond just poking fun about a low score in one category. No one cares at all about the scores beyond the interview boards, either.

Source: I got hired and earned some wings with a 27 Quant score. Once I’ve reached taking my socks and shoes off, I’m about done, math-wise and I hadn’t factored fractions in about 15 years, so I tanked that portion of the test. Got my balls broken in the interview, laughed about it, never heard a thing about it again.

Don't over analyze everything; just start putting together a solid app package and send it off. Good luck!

On 10/12/2020 at 6:33 AM, FDNYOldGuy said:

Source: I got hired and earned some wings with a 27 Quant score. Once I’ve reached taking my socks and shoes off, I’m about done, math-wise and I hadn’t factored fractions in about 15 years, so I tanked that portion of the test. Got my balls broken in the interview, laughed about it, never heard a thing about it again.

Don't over analyze everything; just start putting together a solid app package and send it off. Good luck!

That's good to hear, what track did you end up going and how many interviews did you have until you were finally selected at a unit or AD?

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 11:36 PM, aero_pilot said:

I know there's better scores out there, so I'm considering retaking the test.

I just got picked up yesterday by a heavy guard unit. I did much worse on my verbal score than you did but had a 90 pilot score. I've only had 2 interviews after applying to 4 units, both interviews with my hiring unit but a thorough 1 on 1 meet and greet for an A-10 unit and was never once asked about my verbal score. Be prepared to defend that score but also laugh about it when the time is right.

In regards to your PCSM, my 201+ score is a 96 with a 90 pilot score. If you retake the TBAS you might be able to bump your PCSM a few points but a 90 PCSM at 81 hours is already a great score. Keep working hard and try to be patient, that's the hardest part.

21 hours ago, aero_pilot said:

That's good to hear, what track did you end up going and how many interviews did you have until you were finally selected at a unit or AD?

Went heavies. It was pretty much my only option; both due to my advanced age/fighters usually not wanting to write waivers and, honestly, the lifestyle/type flying I was looking for. I was fortunate in the interview department; was only invited to/went to two interviews (one Reserves and one Guard) and got offers for both within 24 hours, so I got to be choosy.  

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 5:35 PM, Burger said:

I'd recommend not retaking the test man. Your scores are good. I got picked up with 3 out of the 5 AFOQT scores in the 30s. Focus your effort on rushing squadrons

I know I could still get 90s pilot score if I retook it so not worried I'd do bad, but just want to increase the other sections.  But at the same time, I know the rest of my application could use improvement too. Was there anything you wished you had known about when you rushed your first squadron?

On 10/12/2020 at 8:33 AM, FDNYOldGuy said:

I’d venture to say most units aren’t going to care about any of your AFOQT scores besides the Pilot and Nav beyond just poking fun about a low score in one category. No one cares at all about the scores beyond the interview boards, either.

Bad advice - all scores matter.  

A 44 isn't the end of the world, but I'd be asking about it if I was sitting on your board.  Go rush the units you want to apply to and see how it goes.  

On 10/19/2020 at 4:51 PM, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Did you really just say all scores matter? That's really messed up. Pilot's scores matter and if you disagree then I'll have you banned from this forum.

I said all scores matter as in when I sit on hiring boards I look at every score from the tests.  If Pilot and Nav scores are great and the rest suck, I assume the applicant is lazy unless he/she has some reason that the rest of the tests didn't go well.  

Were you being sarcastic or did you really think I was stooping to the political garbage level?  

I probably shouldn't, but I'll step into the lion's den for a minute because I feel bad for the dude...

I don't think the part about banning was legitimate, just part of his satirical take on BLM (i.e. 'disagree with me and I will completely overreact and try to silence you'). I didn't read any ill intent at all, just seems like a joke that didn't land well. As a guy who often can't resist terrible inopportune jokes based on nothing more than a play on words, I sympathize.

Edited by mb1685
  • Thanks 1