Helicopter T-6A Instructor Pilots

alwyn2d

5 hours ago, Breckey said:

Yes but it's rare. There are usually 2-3 Helo guys that go through PIT every year. Our "normal" white jet tour is Ft. Rucker. This may change in the future though with the idiotic plan to have helo guys not going to T-6s.

The AF is doing this? Damn that’s a bad idea. Are the helo guys just gonna sign a contract with the AF to go straight helos and not worry about class drops, etc?

1 minute ago, Bigred said:

The AF is doing this? Damn that’s a bad idea. Are the helo guys just gonna sign a contract with the AF to go straight helos and not worry about class drops, etc?

From my understanding, that's how it was done back in the day.  A fairly prolific poster on here went through UPT-H and ended up transitioning to the Hog and later became a WIC IP.  I think I remember him mentioning some form fixed wing qual course.  That said, I have no opinion on this because I don't know shit about flying helos.   I'm sure someone else has better info about his. 

Anyone know whatever happened to Rainmain?

1 minute ago, SocialD said:

From my understanding, that's how it was done back in the day.  A fairly prolific poster on here went through UPT-H and ended up transitioning to the Hog and later became a WIC IP.  I think I remember him mentioning some form fixed wing qual course.  That said, I have no opinion on this because I don't know shit about flying helos.   I'm sure someone else has better info about his. 

Obviously the Army has it figured out since they teach only helo flying with no previous fixed wing time, but I think learning how to fly planes first helped me be a better helo pilot. Plus, considering how few helo pilots there are in the AF (in the grand scheme) it seems better suited to getting a quality spread of pilots into the aircraft. 

The Army does it because they have 3500 helicpters and 300 fixed wing, the exact opposite of the AF. It's easier to cross train the small number of FW bubba's than it is to have a completely new track.

The AF decided that having everyone go through T-37/T-6s was better than segregating us from the beginning.

Plus students don't know what they don't know in the commissioning sources. How many people entered UPT wanting one airframe and picked a different one on their assignment sheet?

3 hours ago, SocialD said:

My Dad went the UPT-H route in the early 80’s.  Him and a few of his buddies ended up eventually going back through Vance for a Fixed Wing Qual program.  It probably isn’t as bad now, but promotion rates were pretty abysmal in the rotary world and if you wanted to make it to O-4/5, going fixed wing was the better guarantee. 

Though I miss some of Rainman’s advice, I think he realized he needed to take a step away from baseops.  I believe M2 or Clearedhot may have addressed it a few years ago in another thread. Cheers!

Edited by UDEL09
Drinking

AF Helo Single track started at Ft Rucker in 1971 to the early 90s. With the new additions of the MH-139 and the HH-60W in the near future, the AF is program to train almost twice as many helo drivers annually.  That being the case, a helo track only will allow more T-6A available in hopefully producing more fighter slots in the T-38C/T-7A.

Edited by alwyn2d

On 10/9/2020 at 8:42 AM, alwyn2d said:

Since AF helicopter pilots attend the T-6A phase in SUPT, are they allowed to be T-6A IPs further along in their career?

The Navy/Marines has this policy in place for their helo/VSOL drivers.

38 minutes ago, alwyn2d said:

AF Helo Single track started at Ft Rucker in 1971 to the early 90s. With the new additions of the MH-139 and the HH-60W in the near future, the AF is program to train almost twice as many helo drivers annually.  That being the case, a helo track only will allow more T-6A available in hopefully producing more fighter slots in the T-7A.

What exactly is your question?... it seems like you’re already attempting to answer your own original question. 

Edited by norskman

18 hours ago, alwyn2d said:

Had no idea if a helo driver could be a T-6A IP at SUPT. The rest is a little history and future predictions.

Yep, ~2 or 3 in PIT right now. 

2 hours ago, raimius said:

Helo only track is to satisfy the bean counters, not make the AF better.  The AF already has troubles not understanding/forgetting about helicopters...this will only make it worse.

Quoted for truth. 

On 10/9/2020 at 5:51 PM, UDEL09 said:

My Dad went the UPT-H route in the early 80’s.  Him and a few of his buddies ended up eventually going back through Vance for a Fixed Wing Qual program.  It probably isn’t as bad now, but promotion rates were pretty abysmal in the rotary world and if you wanted to make it to O-4/5, going fixed wing was the better guarantee. 

Though I miss some of Rainman’s advice, I think he realized he needed to take a step away from baseops.  I believe M2 or Clearedhot may have addressed it a few years ago in another thread. Cheers!

I miss that dude too...good times

• 2 months later...

On 10/10/2020 at 9:17 AM, PilotCandidate said:

Can confirm it’s currently happening. Just before starting UPT a message got pushed through the STUS asking if anyone would be interested direct Rucker. 10-ish interviewed and about half got it. 

I'm an ROTC pilot select right now. Any word on how they're going to roll out the selection in the future?