Helicopter Track

Hey LowerJumper, congrats! I received a slot for HH60's earlier this year, now still just waiting on FC1 and dates due to COVID. I couldn't be more excited to fly helo's. If you don't mind me asking, are you guard/reserve/active? And how many were in your SUPT-H class? Was the transition from fixed wing to the Huey difficult? 

Thanks! 

Congrats on getting the 60 slot. I'm guard which honestly made UPT much more enjoyable. There were 8 students in my helo class at Rucker. I would say the average is between 4-10. It just depends on how many people are tracking helos out of T-6's. The transition from fixed wing to helos wasn't too bad. Rucker has a great program and the instructors are very thorough. I knew more about the Huey than I ever did about the T-6. The learning in T-6's is largely computer based vs. the instructor led classes at Rucker. Obviously the flying is different so it takes some mental adjustment (i.e. during emergencies a helicopter can land basically anywhere so it changes how you think). Plus learning how to hover is challenging at first but comes pretty quick. 

Hey LJ, 

Could you clarify how the UPT Helicopter track works? All i know so far is that we go T-6 then head to Rucker for Huey. How long is the Huey training? And do the UPT students that track helos, do we immediately head to Rucker or is there a long wait? I have a 60 slot. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 5:34 PM, Burger said:

Hey LJ, 

Could you clarify how the UPT Helicopter track works? All i know so far is that we go T-6 then head to Rucker for Huey. How long is the Huey training? And do the UPT students that track helos, do we immediately head to Rucker or is there a long wait? I have a 60 slot. Thanks!

Huey Training is typically just under 6 months.  Typically there's not a huge wait time before you head to rucker.  I had three weeks between last flight in the T-6 and day 1 of Hueys, although other guys I know waited a couple months to start.  If you're guard, you typically won't wait long.

Could anyone comment on the differences between flying helos in the Army guard vs Air guard? I'd love to fly helicopters, and I know the Navy and Army have more of them, but I hear the AF life is "better". If anyone has comments on the helicopter guard units I'd love to hear that as well. 

Army: you have to blouse your flight suit pants inside your boots everywhere you go unless your in an actual aircraft doing pilot stuff... then you’ll be expected to un-blouse your pants. Because being a pilot in the army doesn’t make you special. Therefore, the army will go the extra mile to make you look like a NONer/POG. You’ll never stay at fancy hotels or go on cool DTYs and will get to eat crap MREs all the time. Never wear a one piece flight suit and never feel like your a real pilot ever because hey... the army’s primary tasks and purpose in life is the ground force... everything else is secondary, and I totally get it. Don’t expect to make it pass W2 or O3 for a very very long time. The army will expect you to be happy eating crap as a W2/O3 for years!!!! while your AF friends are making O4 on time in grade only. Also don’t get sucked into the lie about warrant officers being a “flying” only track. Warrants still get the pleasure of getting sucked into doing lots and lots BS paperwork and admin crap. Don’t be a commission guy unless you hate flying and would feel comfortable flying a desk after making captain. The higher the rank in the Commission side, the more of a “hazard” you are to the flight because of the useless knowledge of being PowerPoint ranger taking valuable brain space. If your ever granted the high honor of flying a chinook, well that might be as close as you’ll get to being a Cool guy in army aviation. The UH60 guys are a bunch of power limited toolbags that struggle to lift a cheerio and the Apache guys have a real good time canceling flights because the 64 loves to sit broken in a hangar. Lastly, as a guard part time guy... the words “weekend warrior” will become distant memory/fantasy. Part time bros have to fly all the time, almost once a week, to meet minimums. It will be like having two full time jobs that will result in the loss of free time that should be dedicated to YOU and your family. Long commutes to drill are absolutely non-realistic. You can’t fly on the weekends because that would mess up the full timer’s personal weekend plans and don’t rely or expect to get any hours during drill weekend. Drill time will be better spent doing SHARP classes, thumb drive awareness classes, inventories, and attending promotion ceremonies of folks you have never meet. You will have to meet minimums on your own time Monday-Friday. You will also have to dedicate lots of your personal time at home studying that you’ll never get compensated for. The army guard program for the part time guys is not built for you so that you can have a better quality of life. Its built to support the army full timers and the full time program. If your okay with all of the above, then welcome to the “B team”. If not, I would try to be a full time guy if you can at all cause, at least for the first few years after flight school.

I can’t speak for the AF Pedro guys but I was able to hack lots of missions with those boys back at KAF. Working alongside PJs is pretty cool. Not to mention that Pedro can accept a higher level of mission risk probably because the 50 cal or mini guns that can’t compete with the army’s 240 on a combat operation. I always got a real kick at watching how pissed off and disappointed the army MedEvac guys would get when a call would come in. If the Pedro was up and ready, they always got priority on answering the 9 line call. Leaving the army guys in the parking pad as running spare / backup to the A Team.

Hope that helps. Go AF... cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Edited by CharlieHotel47
  • Upvote 1

Army: you have to blouse your flight suit pants inside your boots everywhere you go unless your in an actual aircraft doing pilot stuff... then you’ll be expected to un-blouse your pants. Because being a pilot in the army doesn’t make you special. Therefore, the army will go the extra mile to make you look like a NONer/POG. You’ll never stay at fancy hotels or go on cool DTYs and will get to eat crap MREs all the time. Never wear a one piece flight suit and never feel like your a real pilot ever because hey... the army’s primary tasks and purpose in life is the ground force... everything else is secondary, and I totally get it. Don’t expect to make it pass W2 or O3 for a very very long time. The army will expect you to be happy eating crap as a W2/O3 for years!!!! while your AF friends are making O4 on time in grade only. Also don’t get sucked into the lie about warrant officers being a “flying” only track. Warrants still get the pleasure of getting sucked into doing lots and lots BS paperwork and admin crap. Don’t be a commission guy unless you hate flying and would feel comfortable flying a desk after making captain. The higher the rank in the Commission side, the more of a “hazard” you are to the flight because of the useless knowledge of being PowerPoint ranger taking valuable brain space. If your ever granted the high honor of flying a chinook, well that might be as close as you’ll get to being a Cool guy in army aviation. The UH60 guys are a bunch of power limited toolbags that struggle to lift a cheerio and the Apache guys have a real good time canceling flights because the 64 loves to sit broken in a hangar. Lastly, as a guard part time guy... the words “weekend warrior” will become distant memory/fantasy. Part time bros have to fly all the time, almost once a week, to meet minimums. It will be like having two full time jobs that will result in the loss of free time that should be dedicated to YOU and your family. Long commutes to drill are absolutely non-realistic. You can’t fly on the weekends because that would mess up the full timer’s personal weekend plans and don’t rely or expect to get any hours during drill weekend. Drill time will be better spent doing SHARP classes, thumb drive awareness classes, inventories, and attending promotion ceremonies of folks you have never meet. You will have to meet minimums on your own time Monday-Friday. You will also have to dedicate lots of your personal time at home studying that you’ll never get compensated for. The army guard program for the part time guys is not built for you so that you can have a better quality of life. Its built to support the army full timers and the full time program. If your okay with all of the above, then welcome to the “B team”. If not, I would try to be a full time guy if you can at all cause, at least for the first few years after flight school.

I can’t speak for the AF Pedro guys but I was able to hack lots of missions with those boys back at KAF. Working alongside PJs is pretty cool. Not to mention that Pedro can accept a higher level of mission risk probably because the 50 cal or mini guns that can’t compete with the army’s 240 on a combat operation. I always got a real kick at watching how pissed off and disappointed the army MedEvac guys would get when a call would come in. If the Pedro was up and ready, they always got priority on answering the 9 line call. Leaving the army guys in the parking pad as running spare / backup to the A Team.

Hope that helps. Go AF... cheers!

This made me laugh, you must be a green to blue guy

Also, Army Aviation: the mass exodus is a thing... so bad that the initial commitments got bumped up from 6 to 10 years. Leaving you no change to jump ship to the blue after self evaluating / regretting life decisions.

9D85562D-B897-474E-9E50-43729BEF2BEA.jpeg

Edited by CharlieHotel47

17 minutes ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

Also, Army Aviation: the mass exodus is a thing... so bad that the initial commitments got bumped up from 6 to 10 years. Leaving you no change to jump ship to the blue after self evaluating / regretting life decisions.

9D85562D-B897-474E-9E50-43729BEF2BEA.jpeg

Yeah, when you are young you can put up with a bunch of bullshit, but everyone says its hell after a few years. Flying AF helos has always been a priority, but "cast a wide net" as they say. Looking at CG too, of course. 

Thanks for the in-depth reply!

Edited by LimaLowdown

On 12/5/2020 at 4:24 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

I'll vouch for almost everything my twin-rotored compatriot has said, save for the UH-60 jab. I went to a C-130 meet and greet and was one of at least three Army guys looking to make the jump over. I've been in my ARNG battalion for 12 years and have literally never seen or even heard of an AF guy looking to transfer in.

I'll vouch for almost everything my twin-rotored compatriot has said, save for the UH-60 jab. I went to a C-130 meet and greet and was one of at least three Army guys looking to make the jump over. I've been in my ARNG battalion for 12 years and have literally never seen or even heard of an AF guy looking to transfer in.

Alright... I’ll give it to you Blackhawk bros. Y’all can lift a few things here and there. It’s not surprising to hear the high number of army guys trying to jump ship. Not just army but navy and marines as well. The AF is a big melting pot of non AF rated guys looking for a new home... hope u can find as well. The grass IS greener on this side, specially in the heavy side. Cheers!

On 12/6/2020 at 10:22 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

Alright... I’ll give it to you Blackhawk bros. Y’all can lift a few things here and there. It’s not surprising to hear the high number of army guys trying to jump ship. Not just army but navy and marines as well. The AF is a big melting pot of non AF rated guys looking for a new home... hope u can find as well. The grass IS greener on this side, specially in the heavy side. Cheers!

Actually got picked up last night for a C-130 slot! My excitement is tempered a bit because I know the upcoming process isn’t going to be smooth or quick but I just hope it will be worth it in the end!

Actually got picked up last night for a C-130 slot! My excitement is tempered a bit because I know the upcoming process isn’t going to be smooth or quick but I just hope it will be worth it in the end!

Congrats bro! Give let me know if you have questions along the way. The process can be confusing. Cheers

I'm an ROTC pilot select commissioning in May and the rumor mill has churned up some stuff about a helo only track. Any info on that?

Also, how do assignments roll out of SUPT-H? Is it like UPT where 60's are the fighters of SUPT-H? Or are there people actually wanted to drop UH-1?

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2020 at 11:56 PM, simplecam said:

I'm an ROTC pilot select commissioning in May and the rumor mill has churned up some stuff about a helo only track. Any info on that?

Also, how do assignments roll out of SUPT-H? Is it like UPT where 60's are the fighters of SUPT-H? Or are there people actually wanted to drop UH-1?

Helo only track is happening.  First class started last year and they are ramping up to get it churned out from Rucker more regularly.  Administratively, no idea how they are getting people there.  Last year it was just volunteers who were at a UPT base and raised their hands to direct PCS to Rucker before beginning T-6s.

As far as assignments go, its a pretty good split these days.  I've seen multiple classes where 4-6 people want Hueys and maybe one person wants 60s, but have also seen it vice versa.  Sprinkle in a few CVs in the mix and people usually get what they're looking for.

Any bro have knowledge on how/who/what the process is to skip T-6s for the helo track? Sponsored 60 slot, trying to find ways to trim down the waiting - assuming T-6s is backed up. Thanks!

Usually the guard/reserve usually have pre-coordinated training dates based on hire date/commissioning date. I haven’t personally heard of anything about the helo only track. I would recommend doing the T-6s. Airmanship in any aircraft makes you a better crew member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 6:41 PM, Bode said:

Usually the guard/reserve usually have pre-coordinated training dates based on hire date/commissioning date. I haven’t personally heard of anything about the helo only track. I would recommend doing the T-6s. Airmanship in any aircraft makes you a better crew member.

Never hurts to have a fixed-wing background. This coming from a regional airline pilot that never thought he'd want to fly anything except Black Hawks. Soak up all the hours you can get on Uncle Sam's dime.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great article, thanks! I was just selected for AD UPT FY-21. Originally slotted for ENJJPT, but was able to make the switch because I am 95%sure I want to go the UH-1 route. (Family considerations and already done the bomber ops world as a WSO). Sounds like the direct track to Rucker is filled up for now. But like previously said, fixed wing experience will be beneficial anyway. I just hope that when I finally get to UPT and T-6 complete there will still be slots to go to Ft Rucker. 

• 2 months later...

Hey I am currently applying to a squadron that flies 60s. What’s scores did you get picked up with? I have a 99:p and a 80 PCSM with 100 hours and a ppl. I got the PCSM up to a 92 which I plan on bringing up if I get interviewed.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Internationalmesa said:

Does anyone know how the path works to transition into the airlines for rotary? Especially with HTN Taking you out of the T-6 entirely?

Having/not having 60-80 hours of T-6 time as student won’t make/break an AF helo pilot getting to the airlines as it will still be more challenging to get to a legacy compared to our fixed wing brothers and sisters.  That all being said,  Army helo pilots get there eventually if that’s what they really want, it just takes a bit longer and usually means cutting your teeth as a regional pilot.

See the link below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1PH0CO

• Like 1

Having/not having 60-80 hours of T-6 time as student won’t make/break an AF helo pilot getting to the airlines as it will still be more challenging to get to a legacy compared to our fixed wing brothers and sisters.  That all being said,  Army helo pilots get there eventually if that’s what they really want, it just takes a bit longer and usually means cutting your teeth as a regional pilot.
See the link below.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1PH0CO

What is does do is lesson the already small chance of flying fixed wing in the AF. Every UPT base has a few helo dudes. Getting rid of that opportunity puts you in a more difficult position post military.