Question: AF Reserve vs Air National Guard Waiver Approving Authority

Patch

Hello all

I have a pilot slot with an AF Reserve unit, and I am currently processing a waiver with the Air Force Reserve Surgeon General. I have been told it is a waiverable issue, although sometimes doesn’t go through unfortunately, and this may be the case this time. 

My question is, do Air National Guard and AF Reserve both use different waiver approving authorities at the Surgeon General level?  

I was told, that both Reserve and Air National Guard use different waiver approving authorities (AF Reserve uses AF Reserve Surgeon General, and ANG uses State Air Surgeon)

I am looking at the worst case scenario, in case it doesn’t go through, I could try ANG.  

Thanks!

Edited by Patch

• 2 weeks later...

My waiver was approved by NGB/SG. Sure, the state surgeon may help or hinder (I’ve dealt with both), but the finally authority came from NGB.

Just make sure you have your ducks in a row with paperwork, second opinions, medical reports, etc., and know what those say inside and out. If SG rejects the waiver, FIGHT! NGB f’ed up my waiver the first time around, solely for the fact that the person reviewing it was sloppy and didn’t care to read all the way through the reports.

• Upvote 1