Air Guard Eligibility for Test Pilot School

Patrick_Krueger

Question

This is honestly a pretty simple question, however a lot of stuff I've heard on this topic doesn't seem to be credible to me.

Are ANG pilots eligible to attend TPS, and if they are how much of an uphill battle is it? Of all the test pilots I know, all of them did it through the AD (however I have a skewed sample of astronauts living right in Clear Lake within Houston). I am just curious to know if this is possible or not. 

Thanks!

-Patrick Krueger

2 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, PilotCandidate said:

ANG pilots are absolutely eligible to attend TPS. I know this for a fact because I personally know an ANG pilot currently at TPS.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much in regards to the challenges (or any potential additional challenges) a Guard pilot faces in regards to TPS. I’m under the impression it’s challenging to get in regardless of where you come from. I’d extend as far to say that if you’re in the ANG, you qualify, and want it bad enough you’ll find a way in (sts). 

Hopefully someone on here has a bit more info for you. 

Thank You! I definitely understand the challenges involved in getting into TPS from both a guard and AD perspective, I'm glad to know that it's still an open door from the guard side!

11 hours ago, Patrick_Krueger said:

This is honestly a pretty simple question, however a lot of stuff I've heard on this topic doesn't seem to be credible to me.

Are ANG pilots eligible to attend TPS, and if they are how much of an uphill battle is it? Of all the test pilots I know, all of them did it through the AD (however I have a skewed sample of astronauts living right in Clear Lake within Houston). I am just curious to know if this is possible or not. 

Thanks!

-Patrick Krueger

The following comes from the current application announcement:  "An Air Reserve Component (ARC) candidate may be selected each year for TPS attendance
based on AFTC and ARC requirements and candidate competiveness. An ARC TPS graduate will provide a minimum of 3 years of direct support to an active duty developmental test
squadron upon graduation from TPS. An ARC candidate will contact AFMC/A3F and their respective advisor office to AFMC/CC if selected for TPS to determine the attendance funding
and follow-on strategy. If a funding and follow-on solution are not achieved the ARC slot will be utilized by an active duty candidate."

As of right now, attending TPS as a Guardsman is possible (was not the case a few years ago). You should also investigate the application requirements and the minimum qualifications. With those guides in mind, work hard to excel in your primary duties so that when you make known your desires with your supervisory chain, they will be willing to go to bat for you.

• Like 1