The WOKE Thread (Merged from WTF?)

tac airlifter

9 hours ago, FLEA said:

Man, I remember flying heavies in ACC and we would do night sorties with a land time of like 2am. Post flight paperwork, mx debrief, what not... get home at 3. Have to be at work at 7:30 the next day.  The squadron and group leadership was always "sorry, there is no post mission crew rest in ACC." That was 10 years ago. I hear its gotten better since. 

I was today years old (hit 21 YOS today) when I learned the term PMCR, which I assume is post mission crew rest?  Been ACC (but ANG...probably the difference) the entire time, but if I get home at 0300, there is no way you'll see me at work anytime before 1300.  I'm continually astounded at the crazy shit that goes on out there.

Edited by SocialD

46 minutes ago, SocialD said:

I was today years old (hit 21 YOS today) when I learned the term PMCR, which I assume is post mission crew rest?  Been ACC (but ANG...probably the difference) the entire time, but if I get home at 0300, there is no way you'll see me at work anytime before 1300.  I'm continually astounded at the crazy shit that goes on out there.

Yeah it was dumb. I hated it but as a Lt/Jr Capt at the time I didnt have a lot of sway to buck the system. 

• Like 1

PCMR only happens with off station missions greater than a day, and measured in hours. So flying over the weekend wouldn't get you any real benefit.

If AMC didn't have PMCR, there'd be nothing to keep (strat air) crews from being continually on the road so long as they are current.

4 days of PCMR sounds awesome after a 2 week TDY. But when you start seeing that the only time you're home is during PMCR, it gets old since you're taking care of all your personal life stuff during that short window as well, and that window changes as the mission changes so it's hard to make any real plans.

6-9 years ago in afgsc it was totally common to fly a night sortie, and then be scheduled for an early morning sim. majcom finally issued guidance a few years ago requiring 9.6 hours off after last duty before next even for office work because of commanders continually violating common sense.

Edit: and we’re not talking they were doing this stupid turn time scheduling for some crazy real world op, just routine stuff.

So it looks like Disney is going to lose a lot of money after their “go woke get broke” comments.  The question I have is:  Did their leadership decide to go all in with leftists talking points, etc because they believe it’s just the right thing to do (regardless of the consequences) or did they really think this would improve their position financially?

37 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

So it looks like Disney is going to lose a lot of money after their “go woke get broke” comments.  The question I have is:  Did their leadership decide to go all in with leftists talking points, etc because they believe it’s just the right thing to do (regardless of the consequences) or did they really think this would improve their position financially?

It actually looks like neither side has any idea of the potential ramifications.  It's pretty funny.  Glad I'm not in the area affected by it.  

37 minutes ago, uhhello said:

It actually looks like neither side has any idea of the potential ramifications.  It's pretty funny.  Glad I'm not in the area affected by it.  

Government always sucks unless they’re trying to get rid of more government (rarely, but occasionally happens).  But I expect a business to make decisions based on ultimately increasing profits…not picking and choosing social issues which will hurt profits.

So if both Florida and Disney lose then ultimately Disney loses because the government can raise taxes, give tax breaks to different businesses, etc.  Just look at California—their government sucks, they’re losing businesses and people are moving out (they even lost  a congressional seat for the first time), and yet they’re still doubling down on their nonsense.

But to those who say Disney will move completely out of Florida…I guess it does make for a good laugh.

Yes the county will take on the debt, but that debt will be paid off by the taxes levied on Disney property.  The county will have to increase their personnel, again at the cost in taxes, which will mostly be paid by Disney.  The left is trying to claim this is going to be a huge cost to the people that live in that county.  I doubt it. 

10 minutes ago, Smokin said:

Yes the county will take on the debt, but that debt will be paid off by the taxes levied on Disney property.  The county will have to increase their personnel, again at the cost in taxes, which will mostly be paid by Disney.  The left is trying to claim this is going to be a huge cost to the people that live in that county.  I doubt it. 

I can't find an unbiased explanation.  What taxes is Disney currently paying or not paying?  From what I gather it doesn't appear like much, they are just funding everything on their own right now with no tax burden to themselves?  

10 minutes ago, uhhello said:

What taxes is Disney currently paying or not paying?  From what I gather it doesn't appear like much, they are just funding everything on their own right now with no tax burden to themselves?  

The only tax related source document I could find was on the RCID website.  Lots of reference to ad valorem taxes.  So I suspect the taxes breaks are property related.

So here's a cool video about Disney "Heterotopias" and why Disney losing governance of its park can have an intrinsic effect on what actually causes us to believe Disney is a magical place while we are there, and the subsequent fallout that may have on their branding. 

This was made a year ago before this controversy. 

1 hour ago, Smokin said:

The left is likewise saying that this will benefit Disney (and in turn hurt the taxpayers).  But if this was good for Disney, then why the uproar against it for those who support Disney being against the latest law?  Also, if this is better off for Disney, wouldn’t they have lobbied for this change a long time ago?

Progressives crack me up…they say children aren’t being groomed, CRT isn’t being taught in schools, etc…and then they’re upset when laws are passed to prevent what the left says isn’t occurring anyway.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, uhhello said:

I can't find an unbiased explanation.  What taxes is Disney currently paying or not paying?  From what I gather it doesn't appear like much, they are just funding everything on their own right now with no tax burden to themselves?  

To put it simply, they were basically their own county and city government with regards to almost everything infrastructure related.  They ran zoning, roads, maintenance, building inspections, code enforcement, etc.  That basically allowed them to do what they wanted not only with the property they owned, but other their neighbor's property as well.  This was enormously beneficial to the company.  They did it all how they wanted and as efficiently as a for profit company does business.  Now an inefficient government that is not just going to always do their bidding is going to take over all those functions like most other places in the country.  That means they will end up paying more and not always getting what they want.  That also means hotels, which Disney could have prevented before, can now buy and build on property next to the park and now compete more directly with Disney hotels.  Disney will end up paying more in taxes, have more direct competition, and have far less say about what happens around them.  All that will almost certainly hurt their bottom line.

The other thing that blows my mind with this is how large companies keep supporting the left.  The left is generally against big business, against free capitalism, for increased taxes, and for increased government regulation.  For example, Bernie Sanders has tried to reverse Disney's purchase of other companies.  When will companies learn to ignore their vocal activist shareholders and just do business?

1 hour ago, Smokin said:

To put it simply, they were basically their own county and city government with regards to almost everything infrastructure related.  They ran zoning, roads, maintenance, building inspections, code enforcement, etc.  That basically allowed them to do what they wanted not only with the property they owned, but other their neighbor's property as well.  This was enormously beneficial to the company.  They did it all how they wanted and as efficiently as a for profit company does business.  Now an inefficient government that is not just going to always do their bidding is going to take over all those functions like most other places in the country.  That means they will end up paying more and not always getting what they want.  That also means hotels, which Disney could have prevented before, can now buy and build on property next to the park and now compete more directly with Disney hotels.  Disney will end up paying more in taxes, have more direct competition, and have far less say about what happens around them.  All that will almost certainly hurt their bottom line.

The other thing that blows my mind with this is how large companies keep supporting the left.  The left is generally against big business, against free capitalism, for increased taxes, and for increased government regulation.  For example, Bernie Sanders has tried to reverse Disney's purchase of other companies.  When will companies learn to ignore their vocal activist shareholders and just do business?

For your last questions: 

1- Public image, it is socially popular to support leftist interests and be woke.  Thankfully that’s changing recently.  

2- Cronyism, the dems may outwardly attack capitalism but then give tons of benefits to companies that support their agenda.  Republicans do it too but it’s more prevalent on the left.  Republicans generally support a more level playing field for all businesses with some exceptions like those in the Dick Cheney era.  

On 4/20/2022 at 6:11 PM, Danger41 said:

Your guys squadrons actually honor PMCR? 

In the fighter squadrons it wasn't written in any regs, but woe be to the SOB that showed up the next day without rest and there was scheduling fallout.  The attached guys were typically jonesing to get out of the late debriefs as they weren't available anyway the following day and had meetings they couldn't get out of, so at 0230 they were looking at their watches and bolting for the door, knowing they had to be at their desk at 0700 regardless.  

But that Lt FNG better not walk in the door before 12 hours later.

Top3 during 2nd go: "FNG Slapnuts to the ops desk"

FNG SN: "oh yeah I wasn't on the schedule so I was here at 0730"

DO: "MF'er you did WHAT?!?!?!"

There just wasn't extra bodies around so it was an understood standard (sometimes actually in the standards, but not always).

Don’t need Pilot rest for Top 3, mission planning, sims, meetings, etc. At least in my AD past, if you weren’t one of those and not scheduled to fly the next day, you’re a unicorn. So generally there was not 12 hr pilot rest for guys unless they were scheduled to fly the next day. Really loved those 4 hrs of sleep to roll into a 7am sim to start off my next 14 hr day. Go guard!

PMCR is typically for TDYs not daily flights, at least in the communities I’ve been in.  For example, it might be something like “gone 5 days get 1.5 days off.”  If the MAF didn’t have it, they’d never be home.  In SOF I’ve ignored it when there were cool missions I wanted, and no one cared.  However now I make people take it.  Mostly.

Short of a meeting with the OG or WG/CC I will blow off literally anything early in the morning if I debriefed until 0230 the night before, including a sim.  You aren't getting training value out of a sim on 4 hours of sleep and if you aren't calling uncle on that to your scheduling shop/DO you're part of the problem.  This is exhibit a why people get burned out and leave the Air Force.

During normal home station ops there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't get 12 hrs at home at an absolute minimum every night.  Pilot training schedulers somehow manage it every day because it's mandated in the syllabus, and I guarantee they have more flights and sims to schedule than anyone else. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 4/27/2022 at 7:01 AM, BFM this said:

In the fighter squadrons it wasn't written in any regs, but woe be to the SOB that showed up the next day without rest and there was scheduling fallout.  The attached guys were typically jonesing to get out of the late debriefs as they weren't available anyway the following day and had meetings they couldn't get out of, so at 0230 they were looking at their watches and bolting for the door, knowing they had to be at their desk at 0700 regardless.  

But that Lt FNG better not walk in the door before 12 hours later.

Top3 during 2nd go: "FNG Slapnuts to the ops desk"

FNG SN: "oh yeah I wasn't on the schedule so I was here at 0730"

DO: "MF'er you did WHAT?!?!?!"

There just wasn't extra bodies around so it was an understood standard (sometimes actually in the standards, but not always).

Yep, always the FNG that thought he would show motivation and seriousness by showing up early only to take a verbal beat down while being informed his job is to learn to be a fighter pilot and be ready to fly whether on the schedule or not. Had to explain that to several new guys. RTUs should teach that.