The WOKE Thread (Merged from WTF?)

tac airlifter

3 hours ago, Negatory said:

It’s a common misconception that the first amendment gives you any more protection for yourself than freedom from gov persecution. It’s not freedom from societal judgment. Not even an iota.

Fairly sure no one thinks that. Everyone knows that words can have consequences. 

23 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

Fairly sure no one thinks that. Everyone knows that words can have consequences. 

While I'd like to agree, what I've witnessed in 2021 has me doubting that all people actually know this.  I'm pretty sure there is a large section of our population that believes...wrongly...that the 1st Amendment means they can say whatever they want and receive no consequences, regardless of what they said.

• Upvote 1

The squadron bar is kinda like a social media platform. You say something dumb enough in the bar and you’ll get shouted down by the bros. Keep saying dumb shit, and they’ll change the door code and not let you back in. If the Bobs who own the bar decide not to change the door code and keep letting the clown talk, the bros will eventually leave and nobody likes the bar anymore. Either way, the Wing Commander isn’t coming to arrest you for just being a douche in the bar.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

While I'd like to agree, what I've witnessed in 2021 has me doubting that all people actually know this.  I'm pretty sure there is a large section of our population that believes...wrongly...that the 1st Amendment means they can say whatever they want and receive no consequences, regardless of what they said.

Similarly there’s a significant portion of our populace that thinks it’s prudent to regulate free speech, criminalize so called “hate speech”, believe in cancel culture and whine like a bunch of third graders when they hear an opinion different than what their gender studies professor told them.  It’s pathetic.  

Absolutely true though, free speech has consequences and only protects you from the government. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dream big said:

Absolutely true though, free speech has consequences and only protects you from the government. 

Point of order:  The first amendment protects the people from the government.  Free speech is a concept, and as the bill of rights are only an enumeration of natural rights the conceptual framework can stand as a point of argumentation.

One can argue that social media is effectively the public square based on how politicians and the press treat it.  A conceptual argument for free speech would be applicable. 

God help us that the youtube comments without the youtube is now considered public discourse by people in positions of power........

On 12/31/2021 at 8:24 PM, Majestik Møøse said:

The squadron bar is kinda like a social media platform. You say something dumb enough in the bar and you’ll get shouted down by the bros. Keep saying dumb shit, and they’ll change the door code and not let you back in. If the Bobs who own the bar decide not to change the door code and keep letting the clown talk, the bros will eventually leave and nobody likes the bar anymore. Either way, the Wing Commander isn’t coming to arrest you for just being a douche in the bar.

This is ironically great because it’s how it should work, but doesn’t. Reference the 2 bros I’ve seen get Art-15d by the group commander for drunken sexual jokes they made in front of the wrong person.

8 hours ago, Negatory said:

This is ironically great because it’s how it should work, but doesn’t. Reference the 2 bros I’ve seen get Art-15d by the group commander for drunken sexual jokes they made in front of the wrong person.

What platform?

7 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Just curious…what do you think should have happened to these individuals for making the sexual jokes that someone found offensive?

First offense?  Blues for week/month, give some briefings in said blues, and LOC an LOR at most.  Art-15...GTFO.  If we gave punishment such as this for off colored jokes, we wouldn't have anyone to lead the AF or the government.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SocialD said:

First offense?  Blues for week/month, give some briefings in said blues, and LOC an LOR at most.  Art-15...GTFO.  If we gave punishment such as this for off colored jokes, we wouldn't have anyone to lead the AF or the government.  

Would you say the same for blatantly racist jokes that offended someone?  I’m not saying I agree or disagree with you…just playing devils advocate.  Where’s the line?  Whether I like it or not, the Air Force over the last 10+ years has definitely laid out that it has a zero tolerance for this behavior.  So why should we surprised when action is taken against such individuals who violate the policy?

Negatory believes that if you’re in the military, then you have to follow the rules or be disciplined (ie covid vaccine)—so why does he think differently on this policy in a military building (the squadron bar)?

6 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Whether I like it or not, the Air Force over the last 10+ years has definitely laid out that it has a zero tolerance for this behavior.  So why should we surprised when action is taken against such individuals who violate the policy?

I'm good with action being taken, it's the level of action I disagree with.  The rest of your post, I'm onboard with.   

Edited by SocialD

7 minutes ago, brabus said:

Are hidden dicks on briefing boards before or after the line? Asking for a friend…

You tell me?  What if someone had written hidden racist messages as a joke?  

As I said before, it’s not if something bothers me or not, or if it bothers you or not.  If it bothers someone, just one person, and it’s clear that it was done to poke fun and/or offend someone in a sexual nature, etc then it’s fair game for a commander to deal with. And that’s the Air Force we’re in right now, for better or for worse…and I think they’ve made it pretty clear over the last 10+ years that they can go after individuals for it.  Is it different than when I started UPT over 19 years ago?—hell yeah it’s different, and they didn’t bother to ask me whether or not I like the changes.

Now how should a commander deal with/discipline those who intentionally violate the policy?  That’s up to them…probably depends on the specific issue at hand, the climate/culture of the squadron, etc.  But you know how you don’t get in trouble for drawing hidden dicks on the briefing board?…you don’t do it.

7 minutes ago, brabus said:

@HeloDude It was more a joke than a serious question. That’s not to say your response is wrong. Having SA is 99% of the battle. 

I hear you brother…

I was afraid that if I laughed at your original post that the Air Force would track me down and give me an Art 15.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, uhhello said:

The female STO pipeline drama is getting good

Probably worth a whole thread. I read all that and I would like to see actual proof versus some brave anonymous CCT on the internet calling this woman out by name and exposing things that I guarantee he’s not privy to. For example…the offer of some ST student (female or not) to get fast tracked to the 24th STS makes zero sense and wreaks of rumor amongst students. No way did that happen.

• Upvote 1

Had a bro several years ago get in some slight trouble due to some hijinks.  Whenever a spare flight cap was found around the squadron, it was quickly turned into a canvas panel, and a dick was drawn in the cap in permanent marker. All fun and good until it occurred to the WG/CC, who was unaware and took his flight cap to an O-6 meeting in D.C., and then subsequently forgot said cap at the table, only for the SARC representative(no shit) to pick it up, look inside trying to find a name, and was struck by the sheer power of the dick drawing. 

Maybe some slight verbal counseling occurred, but the best part was that same guy ended up going and getting a rooster stamp and stamp pad, and that became the new marker for abandoned flight caps.  

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, mp5g said:

Had a bro several years ago get in some slight trouble due to some hijinks.  Whenever a spare flight cap was found around the squadron, it was quickly turned into a canvas panel, and a dick was drawn in the cap in permanent marker. All fun and good until it occurred to the WG/CC, who was unaware and took his flight cap to an O-6 meeting in D.C., and then subsequently forgot said cap at the table, only for the SARC representative(no shit) to pick it up, look inside trying to find a name, and was struck by the sheer power of the dick drawing. 

Maybe some slight verbal counseling occurred, but the best part was that same guy ended up going and getting a rooster stamp and stamp pad, and that became the new marker for abandoned flight caps.  

Thanks for that, I actually lol'd.  

Back on my first deployment as a young 1Lt, I had a Nav who, while a good dude, was super loud/brash and would forget his head if it wasn't attached to his body.  He kept leaving his shit all over ops and the plane, so by month two of the deployment pretty everything he owned had hogs drawn all over it.  

He finally loses his shit one day on the all of us in ops, yelling, unspecified threats towards the next mofo that draws a dick on his stuff, pretty epic rant honestly.  After a couple minutes of this he storms out the door in a very angry fashion.  Unfortunately for him he forgets his snack banana, left it lying on the table.  No one says a word.  I picked the banana up and drew a big veiny triumphant bastard on said banana.  5 minutes later he comes back in to get his snack, picks it up and sees this giant cock drawn on the side of it with the whole crew sitting there silently staring at him.  Hangs his head in defeat, unpeels it (looking disturbing like very loose foreskin at this point), and walks out the door.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 9