The WOKE Thread (Merged from WTF?)

tac airlifter

On 12/1/2021 at 7:38 AM, nunya said:

Beyond a reasonable doubt is a necessarily high bar and I don't think the woke wave is [the only reason] why he'll be acquitted.  I think the actual evidence is light, the hearsay and contradictions are numerous, and the two people that should provide the most damning testimony are hardly model citizens. 

The case will be like trying to discipline your kid when you're 99% sure he's lying, but his story does kinda make sense.  Smollet probably staged it, but he'll also get acquitted.

Juicy is served. I'll admit I'm surprised. I guess I'm that cynical. Maybe we're not as bad off as I thought.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jussie-smollett-verdict-alleged-hate-crime-hoax-trial

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/jussie-smollett-trial-verdict-watch-12-09-21/index.html

This is truly peak 2021: Jussie thought his fake hate-crime story was going to be an apt metaphor describing the state of the United States. Plot twist? The actual truth is a much better metaphor as to where we are socially.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, lloyd christmas said:

I really do believe we are turning the page on the progressive movement in this country.  Folks are tired of BS like this.  

8A934792-2972-4D3A-9D2F-67B500442626.png

You may be right. I'm talking about Facebook but hear me out. I follow some Dem groups on there. Used to be absolute echo chambers. Lately there's been a noticeable increase in people calling bullshit on things the brandon admin is doing and failing at.

15 hours ago, arg said:

You may be right. I'm talking about Facebook but hear me out. I follow some Dem groups on there. Used to be absolute echo chambers. Lately there's been a noticeable increase in people calling bullshit on things the brandon admin is doing and failing at.

You can just say “Biden”. And if you don’t like him you can just say that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

That dude is a total douchebag, no different than the people who would yell shit at Trump. Disagree vehemently, ask hard questions at Town Halls, sure, but when you’re talking directly to the President of the United States, don’t be an ass.

Douchebags often serve an important roll in our society. Here's one saying the emperor has no clothes, and even though it's offensive and uncouth, it does a great job highlighting the lengths to which the rest of the establishment is failing to hold power accountable and failing to have important conversations. But yeah, it's probably more important that we all just continue playing our violins.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, ViperMan said:

Douchebags often serve an important roll in our society. Here's one saying the emperor has no clothes, and even though it's offensive and uncouth, it does a great job highlighting the lengths to which the rest of the establishment is failing to hold power accountable and failing to have important conversations. But yeah, it's probably more important that we all just continue playing our violins.

Nah, idiots are idiots. This is one that thinks he is cool, but what’s way worse is that people with the ability to manipulate the minds of millions are feeding off of an idiot’s actions in one direction or the other. Narcissistic douchebags and the people they influence divide America, nothing else. They shouldn’t be engaged.

3 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Narcissistic douchebags and the people they influence divide America, nothing else. They shouldn’t be engaged.

In that case, then the entire “news” media would go out of business…which maybe wouldn’t be such a bad thing?

• Like 6

On 12/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, Majestik Møøse said:

That dude is a total douchebag, no different than the people who would yell shit at Trump. Disagree vehemently, ask hard questions at Town Halls, sure, but when you’re talking directly to the President of the United States, don’t be an ass.

I'll give you a slightly different take. 

Is he a douche, yes.  Were the people that shouted things at Trump in official settings douches, yes.  Was Rep Joe Wilson a douche when he shouted at Obama during the State of The Union, yes.  However, there is an underlying principle of the Constitution that separates us from every other country, the First Amendment.  Events like these rub against common courtesy and decency, they can be sicking to hear, and they often make people like me mad, but they are absolutely protected free speech and we should embrace that no matter much we dislike it.  Think about it, in other countries you would be sent to the Gulag, poisoned, or simply disappear. 

The First Amendment is powerful, and first for a reason.  Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Our country is very divided at the moment, but not as divided as we have been in the past when politicians used to duel or the ultimate disagreement when we found a civil war and killed 2.5% of the American population.  Free speech isn't free only when you agree with what the other person is saying...tolerance is a tough pill to swallow at times, but it is a necessity in our system and it may be the tool that brings us back together, or close enough we can get things done in the middle.

On 12/27/2021 at 10:03 AM, Majestik Møøse said:

Narcissistic douchebags and the people they influence divide America, nothing else. They shouldn’t be engaged.

Brother I feel your anger, I've been upset when people say things that I think are moronic on this forum.  I've lost my temper and replied in anger, but at the end of the day I circle back to everyone in this country having the right to believe what they want.  Your statement above is the best approach to dealing with such douches, but remember, in this great country they do have the right to be a douche.

Just my .02

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I'll give you a slightly different take. 

Is he a douche, yes.  Were the people that shouted things at Trump in official settings douches, yes.  Was Rep Joe Wilson a douche when he shouted at Obama during the State of The Union, yes.  However, there is an underlying principle of the Constitution that separates us from every other country, the First Amendment.  Events like these rub against common courtesy and decency, they can be sicking to hear, and they often make people like me mad, but they are absolutely protected free speech and we should embrace that no matter much we dislike it.  Think about it, in other countries you would be sent to the Gulag, poisoned, or simply disappear. 

The First Amendment is powerful, and first for a reason.  Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Our country is very divided at the moment, but not as divided as we have been in the past when politicians used to duel or the ultimate disagreement when we found a civil war and killed 2.5% of the American population.  Free speech isn't free only when you agree with what the other person is saying...tolerance is a tough pill to swallow at times, but it is a necessity in our system and it may be the tool that brings us back together, or close enough we can get things done in the middle.

Brother I feel your anger, I've been upset when people say things that I think are moronic on this forum.  I've lost my temper and replied in anger, but at the end of the day I circle back to everyone in this country having the right to believe what they want.  Your statement above is the best approach to dealing with such douches, but remember, in this great country they do have the right to be a douche.

Just my .02

No one here is arguing for this guy to be locked up. They are arguing that this guy is a douche, and that everyone should think that he’s a douche. Big difference.

While the first amendment let’s you say almost whatever you want with a few caveats, it only protects you from the government. Private citizens, private organizations, and private businesses have all the rights in the world to never interact with this guy in a positive way again based on what he said if they want. We can judge his speech harshly. We can denounce him and convince others to denounce him. We could petition Twitter and Facebook to deplatform him right now with no real constitutional recourse - and before you tell me I’m wrong, they already did it with Trump. Twitter/Facebook could choose to do that on their own! I can even openly advocate for other free citizens to legally boycott this guy based on his beliefs. I can tell everyone else that this guy is a shitty dude, if I want. I can try to convince others of the same. As long as I don’t lie about facts, I am absolutely protected, and you should embrace that no matter how much you dislike it. 

It’s a common misconception that the first amendment gives you any more protection for yourself than freedom from gov persecution. It’s not freedom from societal judgment. Not even an iota.

Also, arguing tolerance of all free speech could be what brings us back to the middle is a ridiculous over generalization. Would you have been the one arguing for tolerance of the American Nazi Party’s platform in 1946? Sure, the gov shouldn’t do anything if it’s not criminal. But private society choosing to harshly judge someone for being a childish douche? Sorry bout ya.

Edited by Negatory
  • Upvote 3