The WOKE Thread (Merged from WTF?)

tac airlifter

23 hours ago, Waingro said:

Agreed, it doesn't belong. But I doubt Crenshaw or Cotton could accurately describe what CRT actually is. And it isn't in our military, or K-12 curriculum anywhere. This is a culture war Boogeyman with as much factual basis behind it as razor blades in Halloween candy, or the "War on Christmas." Media personalities everywhere are giving airtime to politicians trying to build capital based on CRT fear. 

Why don't you describe it for us?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Prozac said:

You’re absolutely correct there. Of course, I couldn’t find a single example of a school district in the United States espousing CRT, but there seem to be plenty that still want to teach creationism, like in Arkansas:

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/apr/08/house-advances-bill-to-let-schools-teach/

The radical conservative agenda has no place in our public schools! 

Our district is espousing CRT. So yeah, it’s out there. Probably in far more places than you think. 

The way I see this, teaching creationism in school, you name it…do what you think is best at home as a parent, but keep all of that out of public schools. The govt/public schools does not get to teach morals, core values, lens, etc…that’s the job of parents. The public schools can obviously can draw the line on academic cheating and breaking laws…but anything beyond that is now into personal morals, values, etc…not their place or purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, brabus said:

Our district is espousing CRT. So yeah, it’s out there. Probably in far more places than you think. 

The way I see this, teaching creationism in school, you name it…do what you think is best at home as a parent, but keep all of that out of public schools. The govt/public schools does not get to teach morals, core values, lens, etc…that’s the job of parents. The public schools can obviously can draw the line on academic cheating and breaking laws…but anything beyond that is now into personal morals, values, etc…not their place or purpose. 

I’d be interested to see exactly what’s going into the curriculum, and at what grade levels, that constitutes CRT. The point I was attempting to make is that CRT is a somewhat nebulous, difficult to define concept that has been presented by the right wing media outrage machine to drive up viewership. Meanwhile, on the right, there is a concerted and explicit effort to present religious anti-science bullshit to our children. If Tucker Carlson is an intellectually honest human being (he is not), then where’s his outrage over this very real travesty? 

They flat out say, “yes, we are incorporating CRT into K-12 education.” And the facts back that claim up. To me it’s an apolitical topic…no type of morals/values/lens (beyond basic don’t-break-laws societal norms) belong in public education. If you want religion taught at school, send your kids to a religious private school, if you want CRT-driven curriculum, send your kids to the CRT private school, if you want kids to learn in a drum circle from a teacher named Flower send them to the hippie private school, etc. If you can’t afford those/don’t want to, then teach the values/morals you want to at home, and let the public school take care of non-politicized/agenda-driven math, science, history, and literacy. Pretty simple and apolitical concept…in theory.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, brabus said:

To me it’s an apolitical topic…no type of morals/values/lens (beyond basic don’t-break-laws societal norms) belong in public education. If you want religion taught at school, send your kids to a religious private school, if you want CRT-driven curriculum, send your kids to the CRT private school, if you want kids to learn in a drum circle from a teacher named Flower send them to the hippie private school, etc. 

I guess I will both agree, and at the same time respectfully disagree slightly with your position.  I do want a certain moral fiber woven into my kid’s school day, but I will also admit that it’s a very specific moral fiber that I’m referring to.  And I specifically moved (for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to) from VA to TX, and the atmosphere difference was better than I could have hoped for.  Citizenship, civics, civic duty and virtue, and yes, even general principles on how not to be an asshole.

I’ll also concede that it’s a slippery and perilous slope should the school board take a turn for the worse while the parents are asleep at the switch.  Southlake, TX, for example.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Also what’s being taught needs to be grounded in fact or highly likely theory. Not obvious lies or even covert lies. CRT is an obvious lie and is hilarious. Because it is racist at its core and outside. Funny that advocates don’t see the lies or racism.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Prozac said:

I’d be interested to see exactly what’s going into the curriculum, and at what grade levels, that constitutes CRT. The point I was attempting to make is that CRT is a somewhat nebulous, difficult to define concept that has been presented by the right wing media outrage machine to drive up viewership. Meanwhile, on the right, there is a concerted and explicit effort to present religious anti-science bullshit to our children. If Tucker Carlson is an intellectually honest human being (he is not), then where’s his outrage over this very real travesty? 

https://www.westernjournal.com/nations-largest-teachers-union-goes-critical-race-theory-vows-fight-anyone-opposed/

1 hour ago, BFM this said:

I’ll also concede that it’s a slippery and perilous slope should the school board take a turn for the worse while the parents are asleep at the switch.  Southlake, TX, for example.

Totally with you, I was being more black/white to take as much ambiguity out as possible. To your specific point quoted above, I think you can replace Southlake, TX with an alarming amount of “insert-town, state.” Parents need to wake up and get involved.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lloyd christmas said:

The resolution says that teachers will: “Publicly (through existing media) convey its support for the accurate and honest teaching of social studies topics, including truthful and age-appropriate accountings of unpleasant aspects of American history, such as slavery, and the oppression and discrimination of Indigenous, Black, Brown, and other peoples of color, as well as the continued impact this history has on our current society.”

Seems pretty reasonable to me. It also appears that CRT means different things to different people. I’d tend to agree that insistence on seeing the entirety of American history through the lens of race might be rather limiting and problematic. I have no problem whatsoever, however, with teaching American history with a “warts and all” mentality. 

You really see no difference in what has been taught in our country and what crt is pushing?

You weren’t taught that there was slavery? Were you not taught about Native Americans? And what discrimination weren’t you taught that you are claiming we now need taught?

What warts weren’t you taught about?

I may be missing the gist of your post but I would like more specifics.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 8:42 PM, Prozac said:

You’re absolutely correct there. Of course, I couldn’t find a single example of a school district in the United States espousing CRT, but there seem to be plenty that still want to teach creationism, like in Arkansas:

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/apr/08/house-advances-bill-to-let-schools-teach/

CRT is being pushed by the largest teachers union in the country. 

6B6B3889-B3E8-46B4-B5E4-7AA55A3439D8.jpeg

A038C318-BFDB-4F9B-AD7F-8F823606862F.jpeg

On 7/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, Waingro said:

Agreed, it doesn't belong. But I doubt Crenshaw or Cotton could accurately describe what CRT actually is. And it isn't in our military, or K-12 curriculum anywhere. This is a culture war Boogeyman with as much factual basis behind it as razor blades in Halloween candy, or the "War on Christmas." Media personalities everywhere are giving airtime to politicians trying to build capital based on CRT fear. 

Crenshaw released an hour long podcast on CRT on Jine 3rd.  Can't recall if he accurately describes it but I'm pretty sure he knows what it is. 

On 7/3/2021 at 1:03 PM, Waingro said:

Can YOU describe what CRT is?

On 7/3/2021 at 11:42 PM, Prozac said:

On 7/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, Waingro said:

You were saying?

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/embracing-critical-theory-teachers-union-says-they-control-what-kids-learn

At what point do you guys realize that you have no idea what you're talking about? Further, will you recognize that your ignorance is part of the strategy employed by the very movement you seem to believe doesn't exist?

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

You were saying?

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/embracing-critical-theory-teachers-union-says-they-control-what-kids-learn

At what point do you guys realize that you have no idea what you're talking about? Further, will you recognize that your ignorance is part of the strategy employed by the very movement you seem to believe doesn't exist?

Teaching critical race theory isn't happening in classrooms, teachers say in survey

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1272945

• Haha 1

The thing that pisses me off the most here is that while we all shit-sling about CRT, there actually is a topic that, if you taught it to every child in America, would go a long way in leveling the playing field Democrats are so convinced is systemically unfair.

That topic is called Basics of Personal Finance. 

Proposed lesson plans include:

What is interest? How can it work for me and against me?

How does a loan work?

How do credit cards work? 

How do I make a budget?

How much should I save and for what?

What is a retirement plan?

How do I invest my money?

What is appreciation and depreciation?

The fact that financial literacy is not regarded as the absolute most important thing to teach in public school has always blown my mind.  I had a substitute teacher play Dave Ramsey videos for a week once in 11th grade, and if I hadn't already been taught most of those concepts by my parents it would have been the most consequential week of education in my life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

On 7/3/2021 at 11:42 PM, Prozac said:

I would 300,000 times rather have a school teach creationism theory over CRT. I would rather kids learn there is a theory that everything was potentially created by a loving God and the science behind it that potentially supports it. Instead of CRT which is a lie and a cult. Super sick and no where in any shape or form based on fact or science and actually calls out to action. Indoctrinates our kids and pushes them to a mean hateful way of life that’s racist. You’re either a victim or a victim created in CRT. Either way is bad and just pure trash.

So consider that a loving God created everything or that it’s ok to discriminate against race sex or creed and that everything our country is founded on is wrong.  You’re not dumber than than the quantifiable smart people or it’s not your fault you don’t have money, you’re oppressed and need the government to support you.  I’m fine with not teaching either to our kids  not interested in creating victims and fostering a racist mentality in our country   

I can’t believe that our society is even considering this. But this is the same society that is supposedly systematically racist (that minorities in droves come here to join every year) with zero proof or evidence.  We are just supposed to now after 60 years of being told measure a man by his character and it’s wrong to judge him by the color of his skin, sex, creed to a mentality that says it’s ok to discriminate based on race, sex, or creed. It’s sick and un-American.  

Edited by Guardian
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Teaching critical race theory isn't happening in classrooms, teachers say in survey
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1272945

Surveys and believing someone just because they have a credential is a logical fallacy.  Argument or debate isn’t just because of opinion or because I said so. If CRT or tenants of CRT are being taught in even one school in this country then your argument self destructs.  

anyone know anywhere CRT is being taught or CRT theories or constructs? Or is Prozac’s survey good enough?  No evidence needed?  Case closed. 

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

I would 300,000 times rather have a school teach creationism theory over CRT. I would rather kids learn there is a theory that everything was potentially created by a loving God and the science behind it that potentially supports it. Instead of CRT which is a lie and a cult. Super sick and no where in any shape or form based on fact or science and actually calls out to action. Indoctrinates our kids and pushes them to a mean hateful way of life that’s racist. You’re either a victim or a victim created in CRT. Either way is bad and just pure trash.

You are seeing the classic deny, deny, counter-accuse tactic used on this thread by some on the left.  They’ve denied CRT exists.  They’ve denied CRT is being taught in schools.   And they’ve followed up with a irrelevant creationism argument.  Teaching creationism or personal finance has absolutely nothing to do with CRT.  It’s all about the pivot when you know you can’t defend your side’s position. 

CRT is the next step in the process of demonizing straight white men.  It’s designed to create division and resentment for future generations.  I’ve said in previous comments that we’ve gone from Nazi’s to white supremacists to now the entire country and system is based on oppression and racism.  As some have pointed out, CRT isn’t about simply teaching history - the good and the bad.  It’s about creating a narrative that our country is fundamentally flawed and must be changed.  And it was exposed because of COVID.  Parents were able to listen to what their kids teachers were saying while on classroom zoom calls.  

I’m glad parents are standing up to this garbage.  I think we are going to see a lot more people pushing back, in many different arenas and over many different topics.  The progressive left is absolutely out of control.  This is all becoming an argument of right vs wrong or good vs evil and not just differing political views.  

Edited by lloyd christmas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 9