Green bag being phased out?

MFlyer99

Also considering this, given it's lighter and better suited for Texas...

Wind Jacket - ECWCS Gen 4 Level 4 - OCP

GEN III Wind Jacket - Multi Cam/OCP - ECWCS Level 4
Just a caveat, what I am looking for has to be AR 670-1 compliant.

I have both. 

The Massif is fairly hefty, I don't wear that one too much unless I'm going to be outside for a while and it's pretty cold/windy. I'm in between a L/L and a M/L on that one but sized up for layering underneath it. Sizing chart they have is pretty accurate. 

The ECWCS is a decent jacket for a USGI item. It's pretty thin but does a decent job blocking wind. Breathes better than the waterproof ECWCS jacket and was what I wore for most of the past winter in northern VA. Packs down fairly small so it's easy to keep in a bag. 

• Upvote 2

Ya I got the MASSIF, I really like it. It cuts the wind pretty well. Coldest I’ve worn it is probably 20 degrees F. Did a good job. It also does pretty well on those border line days where you might want a jacket but maybe not. I haven’t worn it in awhile but I think it has zippers that go from the arm pit down a ways to let it breath. Massif also makes a lighter weight jacket that basically is just a shell. It’s good for rain (minus a hood though) or those days it’s not chilly but there is a chilly breeze. 

edit to add, I really liked it in Cannon, which can be similar environment to Texas depending where you are. Also was great in Afghan in the winter when the nights were chilly but it warmed up in the day. 

Edited by viper154
  • Upvote 1

The Massif elements is a great jacket. A warm enough shell, in addition to some layering, for cold days and light enough to be good for the borderline jacket days. I’ve used it 0-50 deg with good results across the spectrum (layers matter obviously in the cold temps). You’ll be sweating your ass off in 40+ if you’re working hard (hiking with a pack, etc.)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Massif Elements IWOL inbound, in large.  I was able to try on a medium and while snug, I expect the large to fit.  If not, I may be looking to see if anyone would like to trade a fat boy sized XL for a L...

Massif Elements IWOL Jacket.png

Arrived today and the L fit my 6'2" 205 lb frame fine.  In fact, it fits perfectly. 

I'd only be happier if I had gotten one free from a squadron, but that wasn't going to happen.  Luckily I scored a great deal on one new with tags.   

However, with it being August in southcentral Texas, it doesn't look like I'll be wearing it anytime soon.  I did try it on and it seemed to breathe well, so it won't have to be freezing before I can wear it.  I also have a Gortex, so worst case I can double the two up to be cozy warm and dry!

• Upvote 1