US Humans Back in Space

GrndPndr

1 hour ago, GrndPndr said:

I don't want to be the "another video guy," but this (short) double landing from 2018 has some entertainment value:

https://youtu.be/VBlIvghQTlI

On 5/30/2020 at 10:14 PM, ImNotARobot said:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShadyImaginativeGrison-mobile.mp4

Different angle for the Falcon recovery landing. The video of that landing cut out while I was watching on nasa.gov. Sweet shot.

Talk about the proverbial “heaving postage stamp”. Holy crap.

If you haven't read "Space Cadet" by Robert Heinlein, you should.  He wrote about this stuff in the 40's and 50's...and here we are.  Absolutely incredible!

2 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

I don't want to be the "another video guy," but this (short) double landing from 2018 has some entertainment value:

https://youtu.be/VBlIvghQTlI

If I didnt know better, I'd say that is was all CGI. It still doesn't seem real. That's some impressive engineering. 

Right or wrong, Elon has made it clear he does not want humans operating machinery.  He clearly views humans in the Dragon as spam in a can.  But if you do want to apply to be a SpaceX astronaut you practice touchscreen flying here:

https://iss-sim.spacex.com/

Boeing, for all their faults, still seems to embrace the idea of having human pilots. 

Boeing Starliner cockpit:

starliner.jpg

At least there is an iPad for touchscreen fans.

Credit:  @SciGuySpace on Twitter

Edited by JimNtexas
added stuff

So glad you posted that. I remember it happening, but hadn’t seen it. That was awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

If you haven't read "Space Cadet" by Robert Heinlein, you should.  He wrote about this stuff in the 40's and 50's...and here we are.  Absolutely incredible!

You're right, this is right out of any of Heinlein's books.  Funny, when I read them, having the spacecraft land on it's *ss seems so 1950's, but it works!

9 hours ago, SPAWNmaster said:

IMHO Scaled Composites’ SpaceShipTwo (flying for Virgin Galactic) has the coolest looking cockpit. 

AFC7AEDA-9609-4D05-89D8-DF329F567A0F.jpeg

Did Burt Rutan work on Spaceship 2? I loved the early work he did on canards and always thought the LongEZ looked so futuristic. Was not hard to see the step to space craft from there. 

4 hours ago, FLEA said:

Did Burt Rutan work on Spaceship 2? I loved the early work he did on canards and always thought the LongEZ looked so futuristic. Was not hard to see the step to space craft from there. 

Unsure. I know he worked closely with Branson at the outset but SC is such a large organization I’m guessing there were other super smart engineers that did the brunt work. His designs are legendary and I’ve heard great things about the LongEZ. Only seen one in real life and was told they all fly slightly differently due to builder differences. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/1/2020 at 9:40 PM, JimNtexas said:

Right or wrong, Elon has made it clear he does not want humans operating machinery.  He clearly views humans in the Dragon as spam in a can.  But if you do want to apply to be a SpaceX astronaut you practice touchscreen flying here:

https://iss-sim.spacex.com/

Boeing, for all their faults, still seems to embrace the idea of having human pilots. 

Boeing Starliner cockpit:

starliner.jpg

At least there is an iPad for touchscreen fans.

Credit:  @SciGuySpace on Twitter

Wow! I didn't know about this simulator, thanks. It surprises me that people are still needed for many space missions. It seems strange in the 21st century when they are trying to automate everything around.
People in space are a big risk. Hopefully, we'll see fully robotic missions to the Moon or Mars in 20 years from now. Robots need less to survive.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TommyJo said:

Wow! I didn't know about this simulator, thanks. It surprises me that people are still needed for many space missions. It seems strange in the 21st century when they are trying to automate everything around.
People in space are a big risk. Hopefully, we'll see fully robotic missions to the Moon or Mars in 20 years from now. Robots need less to survive.

7 hours ago, TommyJo said:

You're gonna need humans until AI is advanced enough to solve problems that don't have a checklist you can reference. 

7 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Who needs spam in a can flying when you have computers.

"Ta-Ra-Ra-BOOM-Dee-Aey" (She said)

Okay, so let's configure our ideal spacecraft, which carries people - even though they don't have to go.  Mine would include:

• (One) - iPad or equiv. sized computer (to run everything, and tell those pesky humans to shut up when needed)
  • (Two) - COVID-19 protective masks, to be work concurrently (maybe three if it's 2023 or later)
  • (Unlimited) - Piddle packs, as a toilet (head, for you seaworthy fellows) will not be installed

Please feel free to add anything you like to my starter list

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrndPndr said:

"Ta-Ra-Ra-BOOM-Dee-Aey" (She said)

Okay, so let's configure our ideal spacecraft, which carries people - even though they don't have to go.  Mine would include:

• (One) - iPad or equiv. sized computer (to run everything, and tell those pesky humans to shut up when needed)
  • (Two) - COVID-19 protective masks, to be work concurrently (maybe three if it's 2023 or later)
  • (Unlimited) - Piddle packs, as a toilet (head, for you seaworthy fellows) will not be installed

Please feel free to add anything you like to my starter list

You forgot reflective belts...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Reading all the comments about how he should be helping the poor and solving climate change and such just makes me want to ask these people what it’s like to go through life as such a giant pussy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, hindsight2020 said:

weird flex but ok....

He’s not wrong you know- but more strategically danger alludes to the fact that young kids today care more about woke crap than actual science and the advancement of technology and man kind, the things you and I probably cared about growing up.