Arsenal of Democracy Flyover

RegularJoe

Anyone have any insider info on this event, I know it has been pushed back to September.

Generally wondering if it will be worth the trip to DC, possible best viewing locations,etc..  It sounds like a once in a lifetime type event, Oshkosh on steroids  

https://ww2flyover.org

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

Sounds like a cool event but I'm guessing you've never been to Oshkosh? 🙂

I've been to Oshkosh five times flew in myself three of those times, always got the yellow dot 😉.

A 250 warbird flyover though would even top Oshkosh 

1 hour ago, RegularJoe said:

I've been to Oshkosh five times flew in myself three of those times, always got the yellow dot 😉.

A 250 warbird flyover though would even top Oshkosh 

My first Oshkosh was '76; I was in the stroller then.  Have missed only 1 year since.  But I had a family connection; my grandfather and EAA founder Paul Poberezny served in the WI ANG starting in '48 and were livelong friends. Gramps actually ran the crash crew for the first fly-in back in '52 as a favor for Paul.  

250 would be a sight to see; guess I was going off the roughly 100 listed on the aircraft list.

https://ww2flyover.org/participating-aircraft/

Edited by BadgerDave
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was able to message with one of the guys who will be flying in the event last night, for anyone interested.  

Show center will be the WW2 memorial, he said anywhere on the mall will be good viewing, apparently the list of participating aircraft is still growing and is getting larger than what is listed on the website. 

I remember in Tucson warbirds used to do an annual fly-in to get qualified on disimilar formations with USAF aircraft. They would come in to TIA and over a week practice flying with various modern fighters and transport aircraft so that during airshows they could assist the USAF with heritage flights. It was pretty cool. 

250 though would be quite an impact. Sounds like a good reason to use my COT leave if the travel ban lifts. 

4 hours ago, FLEA said:

I remember in Tucson warbirds used to do an annual fly-in to get qualified on disimilar formations with USAF aircraft. They would come in to TIA and over a week practice flying with various modern fighters and transport aircraft so that during airshows they could assist the USAF with heritage flights. It was pretty cool. 

It is a pretty cool setup the Air Force Heritage Flight has for training at DM. There’s an AF vet named Larry Grace who is there most years to take photos. 

On 4/27/2020 at 11:25 AM, RegularJoe said:

Anyone have any insider info on this event, I know it has been pushed back to September.

Generally wondering if it will be worth the trip to DC, possible best viewing locations,etc..  It sounds like a once in a lifetime type event, Oshkosh on steroids  

https://ww2flyover.org

I was in DC for the 2015 event.  We managed to grab a spot on the Memorial Bridge (not sure of the construction status today).  This avoided the crush of crowd at the Lincoln Memorial itself and wasn't so far away that you couldn't hear the roar of radials.  It was May and the temps started to climb as the day went on.  I'd definitely figure out a way to carry a small cooler and a lawn chair if possible.  I didn't take a camera because I wanted to live the moment through my eyes and not a lens.  For me, definitely once in a lifetime and I hope you manage to make it out there.    

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 3:59 AM, FLEA said:

250 though would be quite an impact. Sounds like a good reason to use my COT leave if the travel ban lifts. 

They still do it.  I went to Tuscon last year to visit Pima Air, and those quals were going on the whole time I was outside in the museum yard.  Very cool, and I live 10 miles north of Chino!  So I've seen quite a bit of warbird stuff.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:47 AM, SurelySerious said:

There’s an AF vet named Larry Grace who is there most years to take photos. 

Larry does all of the photography at the big Airshow convention and formal in Vegas each year.  Nice guy.  

• Upvote 1