Guard VA Loan Eligibility

Apologies if this has been discussed before - wasn't able to find anything through the search function. Does pilot training title 10 orders make a guard member eligible for a VA mortgage? Spoke with a a couple people at USAA and the VA and couldn't get a direct answer. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for mortgages.  I've attempted to work with USAA and they were terrible, and a handful of friends had the same experience.  

I've done 2 VA loans and I was eligible for both the AD and and the Reserve loan rates.  There is a VA loan thread in the General Discussion section of this forum.  There are some knowledgeable people (including mortgage brokers) on that thread.  

Best of luck!

• 2 months later...
Yes. I was approved for a VA loan after UPT, and B-Course Title X orders. 

Man can you give me your broker’s info? Cause I got the literal exact opposite info! I also posed the question to a VA specific lender here on this forum (may be able to click my profile to see my activity) and he also said training orders, regardless of Title-10, are not used to procure a COE from the VA. After my first 90 days on seasoning, we could revisit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Future_Herc_Driver said:

Man can you give me your broker’s info? Cause I got the literal exact opposite info! I also posed the question to a VA specific lender here on this forum (may be able to click my profile to see my activity) and he also said training orders, regardless of Title-10, are not used to procure a COE from the VA. After my first 90 days on seasoning, we could revisit.

So I had to appeal to the Personnel Squadron on base to change my DD-214 to show that I had over the required amount of time to qualify for VA benefits.  That allowed me to obtain a Certificate of Eligibilty for the VA reflecting that I qualified for 100% of the benefits. 

This is the email I sent to them. I brought out certain parts of US Code Title 38 as reference to reinforce why my orders counted, but I would go ahead and read all of the sections mentioned to strengthen your understanding when presenting your evidence to get the Active Duty days credited. 

//

I'm going to apologize for the length of this email before you get into it.  I've done some researching, and come across where my "training" will still count towards Active Duty.

Looking at US Code (U.S.C.) Title 38, Part III, Chapter 33, Section 3301 Definitions (Caution-http://uscode.regstoday.com/38usc_chapter33.aspx < Caution-http://uscode.regstoday.com/38usc_chapter33.aspx > )

(1) The term "active duty" has the meanings as follows...

(B) In the case of members of the reserve components of the Armed Forces, service on active duty under a call or order to active duty under section 688, 12301(a), 12301(d), 12301(g), 12302, or 12304 of title 10.

(2) The term "entry level and skill training" means the following:

(C) In the case of members of the Air Force, Basic Military Training and Technical Training

Then looking at Section 3311. Educational assistance for service in the Armed Forces commencing on or after 9/11/2001: entitlement

(a) Entitlement - Subject to subsections (d) and (e), each individual described in subsection (b) is entitled to educational assistance under this chapter.

(b) Covered Individuals - An individual described in this subsection is any individual as follows:

(1) An individual who - 

(A) commencing on or after 9/11/01, serves an aggregate of at least 36 months on active duty in the Armed Forces (including service on active duty in entry level and skill training); and

(B) after completion of service described in subparagraph (A)

(i) continues on active duty; or

(ii) is discharged or released from active duty as described in subsection (c).

*subsection (d) deal with ROTC and Military Academy time that doesn't count towards active duty service, and subsection (e) deals with an individual who doesn't have at least 36 months of active duty service.

I've checked my orders, and I've been on Title 10 USC 12301(d) status for 1,370 days which is well over 36 months.  Can I get my DD-214 to reflect this time so I can appeal my denial of VA benefits?

//

I hope this helps you. I know how frustrating it is, that once again you have to do someone else’s job just to prove that you are eligible for a benefit that is rightfully yours to qualify for.  However, when the queep war gets too ridiculous, you really can’t go wrong with finding the US Code document that details what Congress approved. It is your official governing document and squashes all the “word of mouth” or “this is how we’ve always done it” mantras that continue to persist even after you have educated those people on the correct method. 

Edited by mp5g
Autocorrect thinks it is smarter than me

So I had to appeal to the Personnel Squadron on base to change my DD-214 to show that I had over the required amount of time to qualify for VA benefits.  That allowed me to obtain a Certificate of Eligibilty for the VA reflecting that I qualified for 100% of the benefits. 

This is the email I sent to them. I brought out certain parts of US Code Title 38 as reference to reinforce why my orders counted, but I would go ahead and read all of the sections mentioned to strengthen your understanding when presenting your evidence to get the Active Duty days credited. 

//
I'm going to apologize for the length of this email before you get into it.  I've done some researching, and come across where my "training" will still count towards Active Duty.
Looking at US Code (U.S.C.) Title 38, Part III, Chapter 33, Section 3301 Definitions (Caution-http://uscode.regstoday.com/38usc_chapter33.aspx  )
(1) The term "active duty" has the meanings as follows...
     (B) In the case of members of the reserve components of the Armed Forces, service on active duty under a call or order to active duty under section 688, 12301(a), 12301(d), 12301(g), 12302, or 12304 of title 10.
(2) The term "entry level and skill training" means the following:
     © In the case of members of the Air Force, Basic Military Training and Technical Training
Then looking at Section 3311. Educational assistance for service in the Armed Forces commencing on or after 9/11/2001: entitlement

(a) Entitlement - Subject to subsections (d) and (e), each individual described in subsection (b) is entitled to educational assistance under this chapter.
(b) Covered Individuals - An individual described in this subsection is any individual as follows:
     (1) An individual who - 
          (A) commencing on or after 9/11/01, serves an aggregate of at least 36 months on active duty in the Armed Forces (including service on active duty in entry level and skill training); and
          (B) after completion of service described in subparagraph (A)
               (i) continues on active duty; or
               (ii) is discharged or released from active duty as described in subsection ©.
*subsection (d) deal with ROTC and Military Academy time that doesn't count towards active duty service, and subsection (e) deals with an individual who doesn't have at least 36 months of active duty service.

I've checked my orders, and I've been on Title 10 USC 12301(d) status for 1,370 days which is well over 36 months.  Can I get my DD-214 to reflect this time so I can appeal my denial of VA benefits?

//

I hope this helps you. I know how frustrating it is, that once again you have to do someone else’s job just to prove that you are eligible for a benefit that is rightfully yours to qualify for.  However, when the queep war gets too ridiculous, you really can’t go wrong with finding the US Code document that details what Congress approved. It is your official governing document and squashes all the “word of mouth” or “this is how we’ve always done it” mantras that continue to persist even after you have educated those people on the correct method. 

That’s amazing. I am in the process of getting an ETP to get dislocation allowance twice in the same fiscal year since I PCS’s to Little Rock just after the start of the new fiscal year and will be outta here just before the start of the new fiscal year. Luckily I found in the JTR’s that I absolutely should be eligible for it again. No reason to leave almost $3k on the table because I moved on day “x” vs day “y”.

I’m sitting at right over 2 years TIS since commissioning, so even with your example, I don’t think I’ll qualify quite yet. Luckily I’ve been on pretty much continuous orders since OTS graduation (sans one month). I think we’re back to looking for rentals at my home unit. We still own my permanent home of record (renters in it) and used the FHA loan on that. It’s probably good cause our goal is to move back to our home of record as soon as it’s reasonable for me to do so. We’ll probably sign a 1-year lease to live locally to the unit, then once we move back “home” I’ll just have to make the 3.5 hour drive when necessary.

I don’t have the VA info in front of me but realize that there is a minimum time that counts towards qualification. I believe 36 months awards you 100% of the eligible benefits, whereas the minimum time only grants you the minimum benefits. You’d have to research a little on the VA website to get the full breakdown but you should qualify for something at this point. 

I guess I’m still not tracking. Will probably do some more research this afternoon. So are there different “tiers” of VA Loan benefits?

Here’s my dilemma... my unit provided a DD214, but this is what’s on it:

095a62195d600f5f60f3c072802e5246.jpg

The left half of the page is not jiving with the right column. I’m way outside my element, but I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure I’ve got all this straight. I had a sneaking suspicion that my personnelists may not have done something entirely correctly.

And this is all I’m seeing in the VA site for eligibility requirements:

142f7a89d6e14d5af0e2d4ecd9f219a1.jpg

7 hours ago, Future_Herc_Driver said:

I guess I’m still not tracking. Will probably do some more research this afternoon. So are there different “tiers” of VA Loan benefits?

Here’s my dilemma... my unit provided a DD214, but this is what’s on it:

095a62195d600f5f60f3c072802e5246.jpg

The left half of the page is not jiving with the right column. I’m way outside my element, but I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure I’ve got all this straight. I had a sneaking suspicion that my personnelists may not have done something entirely correctly.

And this is all I’m seeing in the VA site for eligibility requirements:

142f7a89d6e14d5af0e2d4ecd9f219a1.jpg

Sorry man. I’m fucked up. I had an issue with personnel in getting Post 9/11 GI bill benefits based on “active service.” That has tiers to it where if you have over 36 months of active service, you qualify for 100% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. 

However, USC TITLE 38 still defines what order status qualifies as Active service, therefore you should be able to have the MPF cut a new DD214 showing your creditable service, which will be over the 90 days of Active service required for qualification. 

If my memory serves correct, I believe I had my Commander write a memo basically saying I would be on Active orders over 90 days which was accepted by the VA for my loan qualification. This has been about 7 years now so my memory may be a bit fuzzy but your time, as long as it is one of the order codes listed above should count for you.