When is it too Early to Start Contacting Units

Greetings all.

Long story short, I'm an A1C from the MTANG, currently at Sheppard going through tech school in the 2A6x4 career field.  I wrote a longer post about my background a couple months ago before BMT ( thread linked for those who care to look ) , so this is a sort of follow on.

As the title implies, I'd like to know how early is too early to start visiting the units I want to apply to in the future. Once I finish tech school I'll have somewhere between 84 and 90 overall college credits (I have to speak to the education office and the college I'm going to be starting at to figure out how many will actually be counted). But after my MEST days at my home unit I have to go to California to get mine and my girlfriend's things before school. And three of the units I want to apply at are on the route back.

So would it be too early at this point to try and stop by one or all of those units for a friendly visit? Would I be better off waiting another semester or three to start trying to officially rush units, or would I be missing an opportunity for a good first impression by waiting.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

I'm not sure when your big trip is supposed to happen, but if it's any time within the next three months I would cancel those plans to visit right now. Pretty much every unit across the ANG and Reserves are canceling all hiring boards and meet-and-greets for the foreseeable future due to the 'Rona, so I can almost promise they will not be entertaining any outside visits. 

Edited by FlyingFisher

• 8 months later...

I have a similar question. I am a current junior working on a bachelor's in aviation with 80 credits completed now after this fall semester. I am currently awaiting results from the AFOQT and I have the TBAS scheduled early January. 

At this rate, I should be eligible to apply for units late 2021/early 2022. There are a few units I have strong interest in, when should I start to contact them? Would a brief email about myself expressing interest in the unit be appropriate as of now? I know visiting units is on pause right now, but should I try and visit units within the next few months if I can? 

Thank you!

6 hours ago, c130rob said:

I have a similar question. I am a current junior working on a bachelor's in aviation with 80 credits completed now after this fall semester. I am currently awaiting results from the AFOQT and I have the TBAS scheduled early January. 

At this rate, I should be eligible to apply for units late 2021/early 2022. There are a few units I have strong interest in, when should I start to contact them? Would a brief email about myself expressing interest in the unit be appropriate as of now? I know visiting units is on pause right now, but should I try and visit units within the next few months if I can? 

Thank you!

Yes, attempt to plan visits, do anything to get your name out there. Also, some units will allow applying with 1 semester left. It allows some paperwork to begin if you get selected. Majority of it happens after the degree though.