COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

Fair point.  And every GS I've ever worked with.  My point is that lower income wage earners are absolutely not staying home when they are sick.  To borrow your word - schemers.  And just being sick?  GTFO.  Got tickets to a concert, grandma's birthday, a friend had a flat tire, etc.  People that say low income workers are toughing it out day in and day out through the flu have absolutely no clue what is going on.  They are not doing that.

nsplayer I'm not sure your "not sure if you are a troll" or "out of touch" is going to work here.  People that are earning low income are not showing up to work, not because they are staying home because they are sick.  Do you not understand that?  Do you really not understand that?

1 hour ago, filthy_liar said:

Edit....they are staying home when they are sick.  Not really, but they aren't going to work.

So, the poors need to get back to work ‘cause you’re, what? Upset there aren’t enough checkers at Target? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

I guess I am out of touch with some of the posters on here.  People who are on the lower income spectrum find every single excuse in the book to not go to work.  The system allows them to do that, and they take advantage of it.  That's why you stand in line forever waiting on your table and the hostess comes up with an excuse.  Its not like in our world, there is absolutely no accountability, and the worst thing that can happen if you don't show up is that you are looking for another job.  Covid is highlighting this, now they can just stay home and get paid.  I think some of you need to open up your eyes to how the rest of society works, especially in the lower income brackets.  They are not showing up to work when they are sick.

I call Bullshit!  And anyone, in any income spectrum, can do either; work or bang in sick (if they even have a sick leave).

Edit:  Oops, I guess I'm late to the bullshit party.

Edited by disgruntledemployee

22 minutes ago, disgruntledemployee said:

I call Bullshit!  And anyone, in any income spectrum, can do either; work or bang in sick (if they even have a sick leave).

Edit:  Oops, I guess I'm late to the bullshit party.

I can't be the only one here who's been frowned upon for calling in sick on a non-flying day because some exercise ORI bullshit needed completed or other worthless task to green up a slide before a staff meeting the following day. That's in the military where we get unlimited capability to take quarters/sick leave. Imagine your attendance being a factor for weighing layoffs in a corporate life boat drill. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

If you don't really understand that, go hang out with people that make less than 30k a year.  

Let's get specific.  Yes, I live in the airline pilot bracket of life, however I have friends spanning multiple demographics from church, parents from my kids school, and others that I've gotten to know throughout life.  The friends I have in the low-income bracket are working at technical skills such as starter positions as plumbers assistants, handiman jobs, low-skill construction, and standard non-union service industries such as walmart, food service, and hotel workers, as well as primary school teachers (teacher's union...what a mess that is).  Those are the ones I personally know and have heard their stories in significant depth.  I also know that they need to get paid and almost all of them go to work if they can physically make it there.  They don't skip work to spend money they don't have doing things that cost a lot of money.  They do complain about the people you have observed, but from the people I've talked to, those are the exception, no the rule.  I also know plenty of airline pilots who use every single sick day they have...and are rarely sick.  So yes, that'll happen in work environments where sick-days are issued.  People will ALWAYS game that system...but typically jobs with significant sick days are not low-wage.

Conversely I've definitely observed a sincere decline in the quality and apparent availability of workers in the services field across the world (specifically hotels, restaurants, and entertainment industries), like you mentioned, ever since COVID got people paid to stay home.  Welfare is a hell of a drug.  But I don't think that's the standard, especially not in the US work force.  We tend to notice the inconvenient things in life, not the worker who stocked the shelves or worked in the warehouse, and did so while feeling less than healthy.  In general, people work to get paid so they can move up to better jobs.  Judging the whole work force based on the lazy few standouts is false logic, and sounds a lot of like a grumpy old boomer perspective, such as "kids these days are all lazy and useless"...which is really helpful to absolutely no one.

You've referenced "people you know".   Care to elaborate the demographic you come from and what these people you know do for a living?  Do you work in that field, or are your observations 3rd party?  You also mentioned GS employees.  Are you one?  I ask because the view you're projecting, and your style of conversation, come across as rather cynical and founded on feelings, not facts.  Telling people they are wrong with no factual or even anecdotal support is cute, progressive, and very millennial and all, but also entirely worthless.  

By the way, are you aware you can respond to multiple quotes in one post?  

Edited by FourFans130
yes, I'm feeding the troll

10 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

nsplayer I'm not sure your "not sure if you are a troll" or "out of touch" is going to work here.  People that are earning low income are not showing up to work, not because they are staying home because they are sick.  Do you not understand that?  Do you really not understand that?

So there is not a single low income hard worker out there, they ALL just want to take advantage of the system?

1 hour ago, MCO said:

So there is not a single low income hard worker out there, they ALL just want to take advantage of the system?

Suffice to say, most companies paying hourly do not compensate you if you call in sick. Lots of people living pay check to pay check--simply cannot do this. To categorize an entire population of people as lazy or flakes I think is a mischaracterization of what is actually happening in our labor force. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

Suffice to say, most companies paying hourly do not compensate you if you call in sick. Lots of people living pay check to pay check--simply cannot do this. To categorize an entire population of people as lazy or flakes I think is a mischaracterization of what is actually happening in our labor force. 

That was my point, a lot of generalizations of entire parts of the population.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:15 AM, Lord Ratner said:

Dude just got paid 100k for time he didn't have to work. I'd love to have that lightning strike twice.

Maybe the marines run it differently but all the Air Force vaccine hold outs I know still had to go to work.. on top of all the legal BS they had to deal with. 

not to mention the massive risk of an other than honorable discharge which follows you long after your service is over. Doesn't seem like free money to me

6 hours ago, FLEA said:

To categorize an entire population of people as lazy or flakes I think is a mischaracterization of what is actually happening in our labor force. 

4 hours ago, MCO said:

That was my point, a lot of generalizations of entire parts of the population.

...it's ok to make those generalizations if you're a boomer.  Get off my lawn.

16 hours ago, FLEA said:

I can't be the only one here who's been frowned upon for calling in sick on a non-flying day because some exercise ORI bullshit needed completed or other worthless task to green up a slide before a staff meeting the following day. That's in the military where we get unlimited capability to take quarters/sick leave. Imagine your attendance being a factor for weighing layoffs in a corporate life boat drill. 

When I was a boom line flier, we didn't come to work unless we were flying.  The squadron was a ghost town.  Being a prior Mx dude, in the beginning, I would show up at work when I wasn't flying until my Chief boom ripped me a new one for being in the squadron.  He told me my job is to fly.  I'm not sure why this practice stopped.  I did my job in an aircraft not at an office.  

Towards the end of my AF career, they put me in the OSS.   I didn't come to work unless I was flying lol.  The trick is to be really bad at office work or simply don't do it if it's bullshit.   Mass deleting emails was also fun. Them: "Did you get the email I sent you?",   me: "Nope" 

I was actually taking flights from people who were "too busy" with office work.  Lol

Fucking weird.   In my time, it went from flying being my primary job to office work.  

Caution: You will most likely not get promoted beyond O-4 (perhaps even O-3) following my path of deleting emails. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, Swizzle said:

Great question therein: for Reserves and ANG, are they getting full time/credit regardless of what they would’ve normally completed. In others words, full/AD time/pay for a TR who typically min-runs his time? If so, what a deal…

On 1/30/2023 at 7:12 PM, FUSEPLUG said:

No words yet from the ANG yet.  All I want are the back points for a good year so I can get off this sinking ship posthaste.

Wait, were the people who didn't get the shot NOT supposed to be working over the last few years?  You know, asking for a friend...  Fuse, were you not allowed to drill/work?  I know of one squadron would have had to cease operations if all their pilots who didn't vax weren't allowed to work.  Either way, I hope you get your 50 points/good year.  Best of luck!

In other news...if these fucksticks would have just used the least bit of common sense and let my dude fly 6-9 more rides, I'd have full up wingman about to enter the FLUG.  I guess we can't underestimate the zeal in which some commanders will take to persecute anyone who dared question this bullshit.  Now that 6-9 rides is costing them an entire B-Course lol.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:12 PM, hindsight2020 said:

Don't look now, but you just described every fvcking airline pilot I've ever worked with. Talk about schemers, grey collar workers is the demographic bullseye of that remark my friend. 😄 

It's in the job description!  :thefinger:

40 minutes ago, SocialD said:

Wait, were the people who didn't get the shot NOT supposed to be working over the last few years?  You know, asking for a friend...  Fuse, were you not allowed to drill/work?  I know of one squadron would have had to cease operations if all their pilots who didn't vax weren't allowed to work.  Either way, I hope you get your 50 points/good year.  Best of luck!

That's correct.  I was denied a medical exemption in the fall of 2021 (far too long of a story to detail here).  A Dec '21 memo from the SecAF basically said no/pay no points and eventual invol assignment to the IRR for TRs/DSGs.  So I did no Guard duty from Jan 2022 until just recently after the NDAA eliminated the mandate, thus missing out on that good year.  

Religious exemptions, on the other hand, were slow-rolled and eventually a court injunction paused adverse actions against members with a RAR.  They were allowed to continue drilling/flying.  I was offered the option to pursue a religious exemption after my medical was denied, but I had my hill and was ready to die on it.  I am in a fortunate enough position with my airline gig to be able to push back on all of this without losing much sleep.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FUSEPLUG said:

That's correct.  I was denied a medical exemption in the fall of 2021 (far too long of a story to detail here).  A Dec '21 memo from the SecAF basically said no/pay no points and eventual invol assignment to the IRR for TRs/DSGs.  So I did no Guard duty from Jan 2022 until just recently after the NDAA eliminated the mandate, thus missing out on that good year.  

Religious exemptions, on the other hand, were slow-rolled and eventually a court injunction paused adverse actions against members with a RAR.  They were allowed to continue drilling/flying.  I was offered the option to pursue a religious exemption after my medical was denied, but I had my hill and was ready to die on it.  I am in a fortunate enough position with my airline gig to be able to push back on all of this without losing much sleep.  

Ah ok, didn't realize there was a difference with the medical exemption guys as we just have religious exemption guys.  Here's hoping you have plenty of time before your next "year" to get a good year now.  Even more so, I hope they just go back and give you credit for that year. 

Edited by SocialD
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, gearhog said:

Don't forget to critique the source, but not the content.

Recent Data Shows 'Stunning Increase' In Serious Harm Reports In Young Healthy Pilots: Army Lt. Col. Theresa Long

https://archive.is/AdbGX

So here’s my honest question: If there is indeed an issue here, why aren’t the rest of the flight surgeons across the services raising the flag? Are we really to believe that everyone but LtCol Long is either part of the conspiracy or has otherwise been silenced? I’m sorry, but if one LtCol is making noises while the rest of the medical institution says vaccinations are safe, I tend to throw out the outlier. Four out of five dentists & all that jazz. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

So here’s my honest question: If there is indeed an issue here, why aren’t the rest of the flight surgeons across the services raising the flag? Are we really to believe that everyone but LtCol Long is either part of the conspiracy or has otherwise been silenced? I’m sorry, but if one LtCol is making noises while the rest of the medical institution says vaccinations are safe, I tend to throw out the outlier. Four out of five dentists & all that jazz. 

Reminds me of the old joke: "What do you call the person who graduates last in his/her class in med school?"

"Captain."

I can't answer for certain as I don't know this person. But I wonder how many in the flight surgeon ranks are the "go along to get along" types. The ones who don't want to rock the boat, endanger their career progression, etc. When you subtract those out, how many are left? It's like asking how many pilots actually put it all on the line and not just refuse, but challenge the mandate and take it to court. A few, but not many, apparently. And I would have to admit that I didn't vocally challenge. I just quietly shrugged and refused, but I admire the people that had more courage. Of the flight surgeons remaining, how many are going sit down at the DMEDs database and sift through the entries, compile them, and put their career on the line by publicly releasing the findings? She'd have to been extremely confident. Data is data and apparently it would be easily accessible by any other medical member. Seems like it should be easily and immediately refuted if untrue.

Edited by gearhog

5 hours ago, gearhog said:

Reminds me of the old joke: "What do you call the person who graduates last in his/her class in med school?"

"Captain."

I can't answer for certain as I don't know this person. But I wonder how many in the flight surgeon ranks are the "go along to get along" types. The ones who don't want to rock the boat, endanger their career progression, etc. When you subtract those out, how many are left? It's like asking how many pilots actually put it all on the line and not just refuse, but challenge the mandate and take it to court. A few, but not many, apparently. And I would have to admit that I didn't vocally challenge. I just quietly shrugged and refused, but I admire the people that had more courage. Of the flight surgeons remaining, how many are going sit down at the DMEDs database and sift through the entries, compile them, and put their career on the line by publicly releasing the findings? She'd have to been extremely confident. Data is data and apparently it would be easily accessible by any other medical member. Seems like it should be easily and immediately refuted if untrue.

I think we also vastly underestimate the VAST VAST VAST majority of people in society who just give zero fucks and really have more shit on their plate than taking the personal time to advocate for someone/something. I don't particularly like some of the injustices going on in society and I will definitely get vocal with 2 beers at a party, but you won't find me out there writing articles, picketing, or doing anything that otherwise distracts me from the 6 million obligations I have each week to make sure I can pay rent and not be homeless. 

Edited by FLEA
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2