COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

12 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Not my party brotha. Nor are the Rs or the Ls or anyone else. I tend to fall left on more issues. Doesn’t mean I vote party line or subscribe to the drivel that both major parties use to attract and manipulate voters. I’m willing to bet that most of us here have made a majority of our recent voting decisions based on what we perceive to be the “least bad” choice. We should start directing more ire at the two party system we’ve been saddled with and less at one another. 

I don’t disagree with you IRT the two party system. But you said you tend to fall left. 

there’s clearly only ONE party that is embracing COVID restrictions and masking. So by default by continuing to support and lean left, you are supporting that COVID ideology. 

maybe you will vote differently in the fall but unlikely. Either way none of my business. But do not confuse which political ideology is fawning over more control/restrictions/loss of liberty. 

27 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Not my party brotha. Nor are the Rs or the Ls or anyone else. I tend to fall left on more issues. Doesn’t mean I vote party line or subscribe to the drivel that both major parties use to attract and manipulate voters. I’m willing to bet that most of us here have made a majority of our recent voting decisions based on what we perceive to be the “least bad” choice. We should start directing more ire at the two party system we’ve been saddled with and less at one another. 

I like this post—and I agree with you on the two major parties.  Where we often differ is on the actual issues themselves.  

One more point about the parties:  They have both gone further left/right, respectively compared to years past, but if you compare the Dems of the 80s and 90s to today vs the GOP of the 80s and 90s to today, I think it’s safe to say one has definitely moved further than the other.  

Elon Musk pointed out the same issue not too long ago, and though the meme isn’t entirely accurate, it does make the point.

image.thumb.jpeg.0439cc78bce90bf3a3026fc5758ab697.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

I don’t disagree with you IRT the two party system. But you said you tend to fall left. 

there’s clearly only ONE party that is embracing COVID restrictions and masking. So by default by continuing to support and lean left, you are supporting that COVID ideology. 

maybe you will vote differently in the fall but unlikely. Either way none of my business. But do not confuse which political ideology is fawning over more control/restrictions/loss of liberty. 

Let me give you a personal example just to clarify a bit further: I live in Washington state. Our governor is Jay Inslee. You may remember him as the one trick pony who ran for president one one platform and one platform only; climate change. I don’t much care for the man and I think many of his gubernatorial policies fall flat. We had a gubernatorial election in 2020, in the midst of the pandemic. The “top two” candidates after our unique form of primary predictably included Inslee, the incumbent, and a Republican challenger, Loren Culp. There was no shortage of candidates willing to throw their hats into the ring, but due to the power of the parties, there was no one capable of challenging the Parties’ choices. While I didn’t particularly like Inslee, Culp was even further off his own party’s deep end (IMO) and I held my nose and voted D. Had there been a viable Democrat candidate right of Inslee or Republican candidate left of Culp, I likely would’ve voted for them. (Admittedly) Circumstantial evidence suggests I wasn’t alone in this line of thinking. So yes, I voted for a politician whose policies I didn’t agree with because the alternative was even less acceptable to me. Most of us here have likely had similar experiences regardless of political leanings or affiliations. I think that probably describes the thinking of most of our country. And yet, rather than brainstorm ideas of how to fix this problem and get back to good governance, we seem to prefer (have been conditioned?) to point fingers at one another and blame our friends, families, and neighbors for our nation’s ills. This is not healthy, and plays right into both parties’ hands and rests even more power with them while further distancing the American people from the power that should ultimately reside in their own hands. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Let me give you a personal example just to clarify a bit further: I live in Washington state. Our governor is Jay Inslee. You may remember him as the one trick pony who ran for president one one platform and one platform only; climate change. I don’t much care for the man and I think many of his gubernatorial policies fall flat. We had a gubernatorial election in 2020, in the midst of the pandemic. The “top two” candidates after our unique form of primary predictably included Inslee, the incumbent, and a Republican challenger, Loren Culp. There was no shortage of candidates willing to throw their hats into the ring, but due to the power of the parties, there was no one capable of challenging the Parties’ choices. While I didn’t particularly like Inslee, Culp was even further off his own party’s deep end (IMO) and I held my nose and voted D. Had there been a viable Democrat candidate right of Inslee or Republican candidate left of Culp, I likely would’ve voted for them. (Admittedly) Circumstantial evidence suggests I wasn’t alone in this line of thinking. So yes, I voted for a politician whose policies I didn’t agree with because the alternative was even less acceptable to me. Most of us here have likely had similar experiences regardless of political leanings or affiliations. I think that probably describes the thinking of most of our country. And yet, rather than brainstorm ideas of how to fix this problem and get back to good governance, we seem to prefer (have been conditioned?) to point fingers at one another and blame our friends, families, and neighbors for our nation’s ills. This is not healthy, and plays right into both parties’ hands and rests even more power with them while further distancing the American people from the power that should ultimately reside in their own hands. 

You get the behavior you reward. Voters in the state of Washington rewarded Inslee's behavior by re-electing him...so expect to get more of the behavior that Inslee showed prior to the election. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

that EXACT attitude is coming from people who move AWAY from crazy states like WA and into TX, FL, and other republican run states.

they end up voting THE SAME WAY due to this logic. mind blowing.

copy you don't like the republican either, but the side you're casting your vote for is the side which believes in taking away MORE of your liberty. I just cannot understand how you "hold your nose" and vote for that.

• Upvote 1

So my post, from so long ago (previous page) in referring to another Covid variant, was not that Democrats would release the new variant, but that one would magically appear - which is the way some of these things seem to happen.  It was also driven by POTUS, who said there would be another one (22 June).  We'll just have to be prepared:

So, I'm cheap, I'll throw down $5. that a new one will appear after the elections.  Do you want me to guess the exact date (I won't be able to, but what the hay).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

copy you don't like the republican either, but the side you're casting your vote for is the side which believes in taking away MORE of your liberty. I just cannot understand how you "hold your nose" and vote for that.

Well, it seems to me that the Republicans are quite adept at threatening liberties lately. Privacy, reproductive rights, and separation of church and state come to mind. Just depends on what liberties you value and for whom I guess. But I digress. Was actually trying to avoid a partisan fight. I guess a lot of you really do believe the whole party line and have never voted for anyone who didn’t fit your description of an ideal candidate for lack of better options. Good for you. Back in the real world there are probably around a couple hundred million Americans who don’t see things exactly the way you do. Parties want you to see them as the enemy. This isn’t because they want what’s best for the country. It’s because it’s what’s best for them. 

Edited by Prozac
A hundred thousand, a hundred million. What’s the difference amongst friends? 😎
  • Haha 1

i don't disagree with your premise that the two party system is bad for this country. what's worse is our 4th branch of government: un-elected, unaccountable, bureaucrats. trump was right about the deep state. it very much exists on both sides of the spectrum. second worst are career politicians.

privacy: patriot act was horrible. bush neocons fucked up a lot of the world and domestic liberties. the spying done on the trump campaign and the obama administration using the IRS to hit back against conservative voices was just as bad. both sides naughty.

reproductive rights? i'm willing to compromise. make it like france. first 15 weeks of a pregnancy are free. after that no abortions. the left says until the baby is out of the vagina you can kill it. that's wrong. but again i think there's room for compromise. justice thomas coming after birth control is just ridiculous and a bridge too far

separation of church and state was designed to keep the government out of the church. not vice versa. it's not a debate. that's fact. reference any number of the founders writings. you can see how our society is suffering when you remove God or any sort of moral bedrock principles. it'll only get worse.

but back to the core issue. the only side shutting down businesses, mandating shots and boosters in your body, telling you to mask up...is the left.

Edited by BashiChuni
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

separation of church and state was designed to keep the government out of the church. not vice versa. it's not a debate. that's fact. reference any number of the founders writings. you can see how our society is suffering when you remove God or any sort of moral bedrock principles. it'll only get worse.

Which religion should the government embrace?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"

- John Adams 1798

"[T]hat the opinions of men are not the object of civil government, nor under its jurisdiction; that to suffer the civil magistrate to intrude his powers into the field of opinion and to restrain the profession or propagation of principles on supposition of their ill tendency is a dangerous fallacy, which at once destroys all religious liberty." —Thomas Jefferson, 1779

"The Religion then of every man must be left to the conviction and conscience of every man: and it is the right of every man to exercise it as these may dictate." —James Madison, 1785

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." —The Constitution. First Amendment.

I could go on and on and on 🙂

8 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

So my post, from so long ago (previous page) in referring to another Covid variant, was not that Democrats would release the new variant, but that one would magically appear - which is the way some of these things seem to happen.  It was also driven by POTUS, who said there would be another one (22 June).  We'll just have to be prepared:

So, I'm cheap, I'll throw down $5. that a new one will appear after the elections.  Do you want me to guess the exact date (I won't be able to, but what the hay).

I’ll wager the other direction, the new variant will be hyped up by the dems to distract us from this current embarrassment.  Mandates will be reinstated, providing the dems a means to say “look guys we are protecting you against scary Covid, vote for us.” It also provides a scarecrow with regards to those on the right for the left to attack just prior to the election.  Yeah, many on the left actually do love the restrictions. It’s the left’s equiv of the George Bush era patriot act to the then neo cons. 

6 hours ago, dream big said:

I’ll wager the other direction, the new variant will be hyped up by the dems to distract us from this current embarrassment.  Mandates will be reinstated, providing the dems a means to say “look guys we are protecting you against scary Covid, vote for us.” It also provides a scarecrow with regards to those on the right for the left to attack just prior to the election.  Yeah, many on the left actually do love the restrictions. It’s the left’s equiv of the George Bush era patriot act to the then neo cons. 

And then they'll blame the restrictions for the economy, hoping American voters will forget how bad it was before the restrictions. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 11:43 AM, VMFA187 said:

Wrong. Some people love actually feeling like they are for once in their lives doing something for the "common good" by playing along and attempting to force others to do the same. While those people may "say" they don't like covid restrictions, they do. 

And they smile when they see people wearing masks. Like the shoe clerks smile when they see someone wearing a reflective belt in the daytime.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The judge in Doster v. Kendall just this morning certified a class action including all Air Force, Space Force, Guard/Reserve, Cadets, etc, and issued a Temporary Restraining Order prohibiting the AF from taking adverse action against unvaxxed members who filed a Religious Accommodation Request that is either still being processed or was denied.  The TRO lasts 14 days, DoD has 7 days to respond and argue against class certification.  At that point the judge either accepts DoD's argument, unlikely IMO, or more probably issues a Preliminary Injunction.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, otsap said:

The judge in Doster v. Kendall just this morning certified a class action including all Air Force, Space Force, Guard/Reserve, Cadets, etc, and issued a Temporary Restraining Order prohibiting the AF from taking adverse action against unvaxxed members who filed a Religious Accommodation Request that is either still being processed or was denied.  The TRO lasts 14 days, DoD has 7 days to respond and argue against class certification.  At that point the judge either accepts DoD's argument, unlikely IMO, or more probably issues a Preliminary Injunction.

My guess is the government changes their tune suddenly and claims there is no longer a vaccination mandate, and thus the case has no standing to proceed. This is exactly what they did with the mask mandate when a federal judge issued an injunction, because they realized it would be much worse to their cause to have a completed ruling that sets a precedent. If they just admit defeat (by admitting nothing at all and simply dropping the mandate with no explanation) now, then 20 or 30 or 100 years later when the next pandemic hits, they won't have a clearly established precedent stopping them from doing what they want.

6 hours ago, otsap said:

Curious how this works since for a lot of people the religious accommodation is acknowledged but then not having the vaccination is incompatible with service after the religious accommodation which is the reason for separation.