COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

Here in Chicagoland, our most recent indoor mask mandate ran from 17 Aug 21 to 28 Feb 22.  It was lifted citing drops in "key metrics" including hospitalizations and case numbers.

I assume mask mandates will return this winter.  They'll want to wait until after the midterm elections on Nov 8, so I'd wager sometime around Thanksgiving.

They seem to be paving the way already.  Our "COVID-19 Community Level" was raised to "High" by the CDC on 27 May 22.  As part of being rated "High," indoor mask wearing is "strongly recommended," but not required.   However, the city has stated: "Major mitigation changes (e.g. citywide indoor mask mandates) will be made based specifically on City of Chicago's COVID-19 hospital burden rather than the federally defined Health Service Area."

So, as soon as hospitalization rated tick up in the winter (as they have in the past), I assume indoor mask mandates will return.

Not to worry, the city has provided handy guidance (copied below).  Remember, it's important to get your vaccine.

I mean booster.

I mean second booster.

I mean, just make sure you stay "up to date" on your vaccine........

Also, good news, vaccinations are available for Chicagoans as young as 6 months.  Hurry up, Mom and Dad, get the kiddo out there to get their shots.........

image.thumb.png.b4d9cc16704c2e7d25bc777afad1103b.png

image.thumb.png.eefc2579951c3cfba6c63e90d0cf0d6e.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Going to happen, so why not take bets?  Interesting factor(s) include: November elections.  Gentlemen place your bets now.

This is what I was alluding to.  The short attention span’s interest of the American public is fading away with regards to Ukraine…in need for another distraction prior to the election (not that Ukraine was intentional, just happenstance).  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Going to happen, so why not take bets?  Interesting factor(s) include: November elections.  Gentlemen place your bets now.

Curious: I’m assuming you believe that the Democrats will “release” a new variant prior to the midterms. Can someone please explain to me how this would help them? Nobody actually likes Covid restrictions. People put up with them for a period of time because they believed those measures would help shorten the pandemic. Obviously, some believed this more than others, and some didn’t believe it at all. Fine. What’s done is done. The Dems are a lot of things, but they’re not politically ignorant. The idea that they will promote Covid restrictions to gain an advantage in the midterms requires some mental gymnastics that make zero sense to me. 

13 minutes ago, brabus said:

Lots of people like them in progressive states; never underestimate how many dumbasses live in this country. 

I’d go one step farther and say many left leaning people LOVE them. It lets them physically demonstrate their moral superiority

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guys, I’m a moderately liberal dude that is surrounded by people a magnitude further left than me. I don’t know anyone who enjoyed the restrictions. Sure, there were a surprising number of Karens who thought they were somehow anointed mask police, but even they were relieved when they could march into Whole Foods and sip freely on their double venti, extra pump, mocha Frappuccinos. Arguing that Dems actually want restrictions is like arguing that all conservatives are somehow racist. It’s a trope made up to convince you how different and “dangerous” the other side is so you’ll stay engaged and tuned in.  Don’t fall for it. 

2 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Guys, I’m a moderately liberal dude that is surrounded by people a magnitude further left than me. I don’t know anyone who enjoyed the restrictions. Sure, there were a surprising number of Karens who thought they were somehow anointed mask police, but even they were relieved when they could march into Whole Foods and sip freely on their double venti, extra pump, mocha Frappuccinos. Arguing that Dems actually want restrictions is like arguing that all conservatives are somehow racist. It’s a trope made up to convince you how different and “dangerous” the other side is so you’ll stay engaged and tuned in.  Don’t fall for it. 

You bring up a good point. But the mask restrictions don’t work, and there is only one political group who follows them mindlessly and demeans those who think critically about the many absurd contradictions in enforcement: progressive liberals.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Where were the most oppressive restrictions? Who runs those states and cities? Are your far left friends anxious to get rid of folks like Newsom?

They may say that they don't like the restrictions, but their actions say otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Where were the most oppressive restrictions? Who runs those states and cities? Are your far left friends anxious to get rid of folks like Newsom?

They may say that they don't like the restrictions, but their actions say otherwise. 

You guys are missing the point. Yes, liberal politicians will continue to get elected in California. No shit Sherlock. 😉 Still doesn’t explain how re-instituting restrictions help Dems keep/gain seats in contested districts come November. 

You guys are missing the point. Yes, liberal politicians will continue to get elected in California. No shit Sherlock. Still doesn’t explain how re-instituting restrictions help Dems keep/gain seats in contested districts come November. 

You’re smart enough to see the point, you are probably just willfully acting like it doesn’t exist here to just act like you’re “right”: If it doesn’t bother the electorate enough to elect someone with different policies, then clearly they’re fine with the policies being enacted. That’s what they’re saying about which group has been in general instituted the most restrictive covid policies and why their voters must be ok with it.
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Prozac said:

You guys are missing the point. Yes, liberal politicians will continue to get elected in California. No shit Sherlock. 😉 Still doesn’t explain how re-instituting restrictions help Dems keep/gain seats in contested districts come November. 

The way I read the last several posts, people expect mask mandates to be reinstituted sometime this fall or winter.

Along with speculation about how the November elections play into the timing of reinstituting mask mandates.  I think the unsaid implication is that Democrat politicians recognize they have an uphill battle in November, so they'll delay reinstituting mask mandates until after the election, since they know mask mandates are generally unpopular.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

all conservatives are somehow racist. It’s a trope made up

sorry buddy. the main democrat line is all conservatives are racists. and all republicans are insurrectionists.

the media is amplifying that message.

and if you didn't want to get a vax or wear a mask you wanted people to die.

unfortunately your party is actively encouraging this messaging. and the media is their messenger.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Prozac said:

you're missing the point. you support the party and politicians who are actively enforcing masking/other restrictions.

we'd still have masks on planes if your party had it's choice

YOU support that thinking.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Prozac said:

Curious: I’m assuming you believe that the Democrats will “release” a new variant prior to the midterms. Can someone please explain to me how this would help them? Nobody actually likes Covid restrictions. People put up with them for a period of time because they believed those measures would help shorten the pandemic. Obviously, some believed this more than others, and some didn’t believe it at all. Fine. What’s done is done. The Dems are a lot of things, but they’re not politically ignorant. The idea that they will promote Covid restrictions to gain an advantage in the midterms requires some mental gymnastics that make zero sense to me. 

What you typed makes sense.  I hope you are correct.  But it appears that both parties are actively creating or at least creating the perception of crises and emergencies.

3 hours ago, Prozac said:

Nobody actually likes Covid restrictions. 

Wrong. Some people love actually feeling like they are for once in their lives doing something for the "common good" by playing along and attempting to force others to do the same. While those people may "say" they don't like covid restrictions, they do. 

1 hour ago, Blue said:

The way I read the last several posts, people expect mask mandates to be reinstituted sometime this fall or winter.

Along with speculation about how the November elections play into the timing of reinstituting mask mandates.  I think the unsaid implication is that Democrat politicians recognize they have an uphill battle in November, so they'll delay reinstituting mask mandates until after the election, since they know mask mandates are generally unpopular.

This argument makes a bit more sense to me. Hope it doesn’t happen, but at least you’re thinking logically. I think you’ll find there are many here who expect the Dems to institute mandates in the hopes of GAINING votes. I don’t get it. 

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

you're missing the point. you support the party and politicians who are actively enforcing masking/other restrictions.

we'd still have masks on planes if your party had it's choice

YOU support that thinking.

Not my party brotha. Nor are the Rs or the Ls or anyone else. I tend to fall left on more issues. Doesn’t mean I vote party line or subscribe to the drivel that both major parties use to attract and manipulate voters. I’m willing to bet that most of us here have made a majority of our recent voting decisions based on what we perceive to be the “least bad” choice. We should start directing more ire at the two party system we’ve been saddled with and less at one another. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4