COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

12 hours ago, kaputt said:

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/indoor-mask-mandate-philadelphia-businesses-20220411.html
The madness isn’t done in Philadelphia yet. Soon to return to a city near you? 

Meanwhile, the CDC shows Philadelphia County as "Low, no masks required." 

Makes zero sense.  Good luck with enforcement.

As others have said, we have to vote our way out of this.  The lunatics are determined to have this go on forever. 

Screenshot_20220411-182729_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, HeloDude said:

What are the odds of us being back in masks on base before November?  I give it better than 50/50.

OCONUS there are still several bases in masks -_- so happy I'm done with this nonsense. 

I was at an Army installation in Europe earlier this year and you were required to wear mask while working out in the gym. Maybe it was the same in the AF at the time but I have my own gym so I don't know. But it was the stupid idea I've ever heard. Wonder how many people have passed out lifting more than they should be able to on reduced oxygen. 

Edited by FLEA

6 hours ago, FLEA said:

OCONUS there are still several bases in masks -_- so happy I'm done with this nonsense. 

I was at an Army installation in Europe earlier this year and you were required to wear mask while working out in the gym. Maybe it was the same in the AF at the time but I have my own gym so I don't know. But it was the stupid idea I've ever heard. Wonder how many people have passed out lifting more than they should be able to on reduced oxygen. 

At my kids middle school track meet there were more than two hands worth of kids running sprints/long distances in masks.  Outside track.   We haven't had a mask requirement in school here for almost a year now.  We've messed up a giant chunk of the population.  

Have a coworker who's sibling's family have isolated since this kicked off years ago.  Both work from home with amazon and IBM.  Groceries are delivered and disenfected.  They have two toddlers who haven't been outside the home for other than doctors visits.  They are leaving the house next week to drive to Cali so there toddlers can be part of the vaccine study on under 5's.  

Edited by uhhello
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, uhhello said:

At my kids middle school track meet there were more than two hands worth of kids running sprints/long distances in masks.  Outside track.   We haven't had a mask requirement in school here for almost a year now.  We've messed up a giant chunk of the population.  

Have a coworker who's sibling's family have isolated since this kicked off years ago.  Both work from home with amazon and IBM.  Groceries are delivered and disenfected.  They have two toddlers who haven't been outside the home for other than doctors visits.  They are leaving the house next week to drive to Cali so there toddlers can be part of the vaccine study on under 5's.  

I happily don't wear a mask unless it's absolutely a requirement to do something (air travel, etc.) 

That said, I constantly hear your complaint from the same crowd who have long preached that it didn't matter what anyone else does, so long as they didn't force masks or vaccines on anyone else. Ted Cruz, our favorite Canadian-turned-Texan, recently went on a tirade against Mr. T of all people, because Mr. T publicly said he was going to continue to social distance. Ted Cruz apparently still cares, and it seems like you really do care, a lot, about what other people around you are doing.

I saw westerners in Kabul, a decade ago, exercising outdoors with masks on (very poor air quality, leaded gas in shitty generators, etc.) While I found that precaution excessive, it didn't bother me to the point that I'd go online and rail against it. If a middle-schooler wants to run a race in a mask, or get a dumb haircut, or wear stupid clothes, then so be it.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Waingro said:

It seems like you really do care, a lot, about what other people around you are doing.

This thread got going again because of mandates.  The mandates for Airline travel, and then Philadelphia's new mandate. 

The examples of individual's showcasing their mask lunacy are provided to demonstrate how messed up some people's heads have gotten because of all this. 

Although you are absolutely right that I don't care what they do personally as individuals, their hysteria and idiocy is relevant because it impacts public policy (i.e. mask mandates that I'm ordered to follow.)

There are ample mitigation resources and strategies available to everyone.  People can make choices for themselves.  And when/if we are allowed to, you won't hear a peep from me.  But for now, unfortunately, that group -- the covidian psychos -- are still driving stupid, irrational policies that everyone has to follow.

Edited by SpeedOfHeat
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Waingro said:

I happily don't wear a mask unless it's absolutely a requirement to do something (air travel, etc.) 

That said, I constantly hear your complaint from the same crowd who have long preached that it didn't matter what anyone else does, so long as they didn't force masks or vaccines on anyone else. Ted Cruz, our favorite Canadian-turned-Texan, recently went on a tirade against Mr. T of all people, because Mr. T publicly said he was going to continue to social distance. Ted Cruz apparently still cares, and it seems like you really do care, a lot, about what other people around you are doing.

I saw westerners in Kabul, a decade ago, exercising outdoors with masks on (very poor air quality, leaded gas in shitty generators, etc.) While I found that precaution excessive, it didn't bother me to the point that I'd go online and rail against it. If a middle-schooler wants to run a race in a mask, or get a dumb haircut, or wear stupid clothes, then so be it.

I honestly don't care about what adults do.  I do care about young impressionable kids having this forced on them by their parents who are still cowering in the corner on this.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Agree.  The insanity only ends when democrats are voted out. 

Still administering the EUA vaccine at my base, no FDA approved vaccine anywhere to be found.  And here’s a fun article about how many athletes are suffering heart attacks.  I get it’s a bit sensational, but there is no objective reporting anymore.  

Kept scrolling in that article looking for any mention of what the base rate of heart anomalies in athletes was before the vaccine.. no luck. Seems like an important data point to have if you're going to try to claim a sudden spike. Strangely, the article kept insinuating that it was zero prior to the vaccine which I think we both know is rather silly. 

I don't disagree with you that the democrats are off their rocker over mandates and covid scare tactics, but this article is hot garbage. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pooter said:

Kept scrolling in that article looking for any mention of what the base rate of heart anomalies in athletes was before the vaccine.. no luck. Seems like an important data point to have if you're going to try to claim a sudden spike. Strangely, the article kept insinuating that it was zero prior to the vaccine which I think we both know is rather silly. 

I don't disagree with you that the democrats are off their rocker over mandates and covid scare tactics, but this article is hot garbage. 

We have two choices: hot garbage article that at least points to a real phenomenon (although lacking amplifying data to make it useful), or MSNBC / CNN propaganda repeating without question everything Fauci says and hiding conflicting information.  Worth noting how many “hot garbage conspiracies” have turned out to be true, so although the article is admittedly not great we have a track record that shouldn’t be ignored.  I wish there was a middle way, but those voices have been censored, and the censorship has come exclusively from the left.  Good luck finding objective data, which should be easily available, on whether US military members had more, less or the same number of heart attacks in the past 18 months compared to the prior 18.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

We have two choices: hot garbage article that at least points to a real phenomenon (although lacking amplifying data to make it useful), or MSNBC / CNN propaganda repeating without question everything Fauci says and hiding conflicting information.  Worth noting how many “hot garbage conspiracies” have turned out to be true, so although the article is admittedly not great we have a track record that shouldn’t be ignored.  I wish there was a middle way, but those voices have been censored, and the censorship has come exclusively from the left.  Good luck finding objective data, which should be easily available, on whether US military members had more, less or the same number of heart attacks in the past 18 months compared to the prior 18.  

We have no idea if it's a real phenomenon beyond the normal rate because that number is never mentioned anywhere. This is literally the first question you should ask when someone is trying to alarm you about something. This is basic sample vs control middle school science.  You can't make a meaningful conclusion from a data point that exists utterly without context. 

There are very legitimate criticisms of the lefts handling of covid, but I don't think you fight hot garbage with more hot garbage. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Pooter said:

You can't make a meaningful conclusion from a data point that exists utterly without context. 

Sure you can: that we should be free to demand additional data to provide that missing context.  You think my post was about that specific article, but it was not. My apologies for the lack of clarity.  I thought it was obvious when I said the article lacked amplifying data to make its conclusions useful, then questioned why we have no access to data which should be readily available (military health data, since that is a database I know exists).  My post was lamenting censorship initiated by the left, and the fact that we have no objective third-party news sources any longer.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Sure you can: that we should be free to demand additional data to provide that missing context.  You think my post was about that specific article, but it was not. My apologies for the lack of clarity.  I thought it was obvious when I said the article lacked amplifying data to make its conclusions useful, then questioned why we have no access to data which should be readily available (military health data, since that is a database I know exists).  My post was lamenting censorship initiated by the left, and the fact that we have no objective third-party news sources any longer.  

Right. This "disinformation war" is entirely a product of the lefts doing. The want to denounce anything that goes against their narrative. Where were they for the Steel Dossier, the Hunter Biden Laptop, the Russia Collusion Hoax, the 'peaceful BLM' riots. The left is the biggest purveyor of disinformation in the country right now and they go one step further of actively trying to gas light people who bring attention to that. 

• Upvote 6

19 hours ago, Pooter said:

We have no idea if it's a real phenomenon beyond the normal rate because that number is never mentioned anywhere. This is literally the first question you should ask when someone is trying to alarm you about something. This is basic sample vs control middle school science.  You can't make a meaningful conclusion from a data point that exists utterly without context. 

There are very legitimate criticisms of the lefts handling of covid, but I don't think you fight hot garbage with more hot garbage. 

Problem is it's now well established that the CDC withheld data from analysis. Complaining that the people are poorly informed while ensuring they remained poorly informed. There's only one reason you do that... To perpetuate a lie.

• Upvote 6

27 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

TSA extends the public travel mask mandate another two weeks…WTF is the point of that?

Gives them two more weeks for cases of COVID to “surge” and then “justify” a longer extension. 

I’ll gladly eat crow on this if I’m wrong, but I think the TSA mask mandate will exist at least through the midterms. 

Fauci was just on the news the other day saying he thinks the airline mask mandate should be extended beyond the 15 days. This has become just another classic example of complete COVID hypocrisy and lunacy. When this all started it was determined and stated widely that flying on airplane was one of the safest things you could do because the air filtration systems on board; yet the airlines are one of the last places you are forced to wear masks.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, kaputt said:

yet the airlines are one of the last places you are forced to wear masks.

and CONUS military bases?  are we still doing that?  Currently deployed and "out of the loop"

18 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

TSA extends the public travel mask mandate another two weeks…WTF is the point of that?

It's total insanity.  I don't know what the point is, but it sure isn't 'science,' or 'public health.'

The rationale for mask mandates was always based on two main concepts:

1)  "Flatten the curve" so hospitals don't get overrun.

2)  In the good ol' days of cloth and surgical masks, 2-way masking was touted as the solution for the fact that those types of masks don't protect the wearer.  "My mask protects you, and your mask protects me," they told us. 

Fast-forward to today, and both those concepts are OBE.

They mailed out 400 million "free" N95's across the country and the CDC declared that 1-way masking  using them was "highly effective" at protecting the wearer.

So now, "your mask protects you," and we're at no danger of overrunning hospitals?

Great. 

Mandates should have ended that very instant. 

If 1-way masking is highly effective, and we're not going to overrun hospitals, why should I be forced to wear one?

The reason is that they've decided that the US is a nanny state.  They know what's best for you, and will help you make the "right choices" for yourself ...by not allowing you to make choices for yourself.  And sadly, very few people are calling them out on it or even highlighting the disconnect.

Vote them all out. 

Edited by SpeedOfHeat
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, slc said:

and CONUS military bases?  are we still doing that?  Currently deployed and "out of the loop"

I don’t think so, but I’m in the IMA reservist world now so not fully up to speed. 

The base I workout at doesn’t require masks in the gym so I figured that was the same elsewhere on base.