COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

1 hour ago, Sua Sponte said:

The SCOTUS just blocked federal vaccine mandate for large businesses.

https://apnews.com/article/eb5899ae1fe5b62b6f4d51f54a3cd375

SCOTUS Opinion

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/21a244_hgci.pdf

No matter our opinion on the vaccine, this is a huge win for this country and our liberties.  It’s amazing to see checks and balances in work.  America will be okay. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 9

11 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Wll, that's convenient since this Administration has admitted it can't "stop the virus."  Just stop reporting on it.  Sure is nice to have allies...

https://apnews.com/article/omicron-changing-news-outlets-covid-data-da9272f7c4c8a109c3bfb56bed9e9c76

NEW YORK (AP) — For two years, coronavirus case counts and hospitalizations have been widely used barometers of the pandemic’s march across the world.

But the omicron wave is making a mess of the usual statistics, forcing news organizations to rethink the way they report such figures.

For that reason, The Associated Press has recently told its editors and reporters to avoid emphasizing case counts in stories about the disease. That means, for example, no more stories focused solely on a particular country or state setting a one-day record for number of cases, because that claim has become unreliable.

That reason…and, it’s an election year.  If the Democrats lose both house and senate, I expect this administration will be treated with the same courtesy as the last one. 

The AP will do everything necessary to avoid that outcome. 

Edited by HU&W

16 hours ago, dream big said:

No matter our opinion on the vaccine, this is a huge win for this country and our liberties.  It’s amazing to see checks and balances in work.  America will be okay. 

Not so fast...and I would NOT celebrate liberty just yet.

Yes they killed the mandate for companies with more than 100 employees but the issue is FAR from settled.  If you read the opinion was very narrow and it was not about the mandate as much as it was about the power of OSHA and a kick of the can to Congress to pass a vaccine mandate law. 

On the same day SCOTUS ruled against Missouri and upheld the mandate for Healthcare workers. 

There are several cases still working their way up through the lower courts that will likely land on the steps of SCOTUS with the Federal Employee Mandate case being another major decision point.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, dream big said:

Not sure what gives you such confidence, when a few days prior we had one scotus justice say there were 100k children in the hospital from covid and many were on ventilators. Another one said we had 750 million cases (understandabley I think he meant 750k). these people are the last nine of defense for our “checks and balances”…. 

And in the same ruling they approved the CMS (voting 5-4) which does not even offer a testing option. While Joe and his OSHA workaround had their hands slapped, the Federal governments grasp on our nation has increased yet again. 

Not so fast...and I would NOT celebrate liberty just yet.
Yes they killed the mandate for companies with more than 100 employees but the issue is FAR from settled.  If you read the opinion was very narrow and it was not about the mandate as much as it was about the power of OSHA and a kick of the can to Congress to pass a vaccine mandate law. 
On the same day SCOTUS ruled against Missouri and upheld the mandate for Healthcare workers. 
There are several cases still working their way up through the lower courts that will likely land on the steps of SCOTUS with the Federal Employee Mandate case being another major decision point.

True... this had no effect on the vaccine mandates most of the major airlines imposed on their employees. Does anyone really think the airlines want to deal with 30-40% of their pilots/FA's not being vaccinated when a lot of other countries and destinations they fly to mandate vaccinations? It would be a operetional nightmare. The airlines don't give a s*** about the health of their employees. They want the company to operate. They have a "mission" just like the military.

https://www.axios.com/cdc-omicron-death-delta-variant-covid-959f1e3a-b09c-4d31-820c-90071f8e7a4f.html

Keeping up with the data. Current studies are showing Omicron has a ~90% reduction in mortality, ~75% reduction in ICU admission, and ~50% reduction in hospitalization compared to previous variants. Would be nice if it was 90% across the board, because this will still overrun the hospital systems based on having 5-10x the cases. Oh well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Negatory said:

https://www.axios.com/cdc-omicron-death-delta-variant-covid-959f1e3a-b09c-4d31-820c-90071f8e7a4f.html

Keeping up with the data. Current studies are showing Omicron has a ~90% reduction in mortality, ~75% reduction in ICU admission, and ~50% reduction in hospitalization compared to previous variants. Would be nice if it was 90% across the board, because this will still overrun the hospital systems based on having 5-10x the cases. Oh well.

This article is maddening and illustrates why there is so much confusion.  Not a dig on you but peel the onion back a bit and watch Facui hijack the result.

I might be an internet epidemiologist but I am certainly NOT an expert.  That being said, from what I've read about other pandemics the "usual" evolution is for the virus to mutate and become more transmissible and less lethal.  That certainly appears to be the case with Omicron as outlined by this study.  "Yes, but: While we are seeing early evidence that Omicron is less severe than Delta, and that those infected are less likely to require hospitalization, it's important to note that Omicron continues to be much more transmissible than Delta," Walensky said.  Ok, the numbers seem to support these statements.

Now the rub - the numbers you show above are great but are not cross-correlated to vaccinated versus unvaccinated, boosted versus non-boosted.  All we have is the comment from our dear leader who says - NIAID director Anthony Fauci added that those who are vaccinated and boosted are much less likely to get severe illness from Omicron.

28 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

This article is maddening and illustrates why there is so much confusion.  Not a dig on you but peel the onion back a bit and watch Facui hijack the result

.….

Now the rub - the numbers you show above are great but are not cross-correlated to vaccinated versus unvaccinated, boosted versus non-boosted.  All we have is the comment from our dear leader who says - NIAID director Anthony Fauci added that those who are vaccinated and boosted are much less likely to get severe illness from Omicron.

Yes they are, don’t where you’re basing your opinion from. The study is at the top of the article, I’ll assume you didn’t read it. Check it out:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.11.22269045v1.full-text

They clearly control and account for vaccination status, previous infection, age, sex, and comorbidities. The data shows BOTH that omicron is likely less severe AND vaccines are effective at reducing hospitalization/death.

Edited by Negatory

5 minutes ago, Negatory said:

Yes they are, don’t where you’re basing your opinion from. The study is at the top of the article, I’ll assume you didn’t read it. Check it out:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.11.22269045v1.full-text

They clearly control and account for vaccination status, previous infection, age, sex, and comorbidities. The data shows BOTH that omicron is likely less severe AND vaccines are effective at reducing hospitalization/death.

The study does, but the article doesn't, that was the point.  We distill everything into small bytes because people won't take the time to read. 

2 hours ago, Negatory said:

It's a cold.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

The study does, but the article doesn't, that was the point.  We distill everything into small bytes because people won't take the time to read. 

Ah. Do you see something in the article that is not corroborated by the study? Or is there something in the study that is intentionally left out of the article.

I guess I don’t see the issue if it generally accurately portrays the main points of the study.

2 minutes ago, Negatory said:

Sure. If you can show me that a cold causes 150k concurrent hospitalizations, I’ll agree with you.

Has Omnicron actually caused that (verified?)

I had it a week ago.  Everyone I know that's had it has had the same symptoms.  Two weeks earlier I had an upper respiratory infection that was exponentially worse.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buddy Spike said:

Has Omnicron actually caused that (verified?)

I had it a week ago.  Everyone I know that's had it has had the same symptoms.  Two weeks earlier I had an upper respiratory infection that was exponentially worse.  

Yeah, it’s generally less severe than the already non-severe for our demographic delta. But it’s significantly more transmissible.

John’s Hopkins, the CDC, and the NYT are tracking hospitalizations in that ballpark. But maybe that’s not confirmed enough.

6 minutes ago, Negatory said:

Yeah, it’s generally less severe than the already non-severe for our demographic delta. But it’s significantly more transmissible.

John’s Hopkins, the CDC, and the NYT are tracking hospitalizations in that ballpark. But maybe that’s not confirmed enough.

It is, because it's a common cold.  It doesn't require near the hospitalizations as any other variant. This is how it burns itself out.  Time to stop this insanity.  

• Upvote 3

Sure. If you can show me that a cold causes 150k concurrent hospitalizations, I’ll agree with you.

What classifies a hospitalization? ER visit? Overnight stay? Gunshot wound and COVID positive? Gallstones and COVID positive? Remember, hospitals are getting MONEY for COVID positive patients, putting people with COVID on ventilators (whether they really need them or not) and deaths with COVID, not necessary from COVID. Can't really believe all of the numbers we read because there is f@ckery going on. Anyone who denies that is in another world. I went to the ER years ago for the flu. Did I have to? Probably not, but I had a bad cough and wanted to get a chest x-ray. How many people are going to the hospital out of precausion?
  • Upvote 2

If you think the fact that we have multiple orders of magnitude more people on ventilators for respiratory distress than previous years is due largely to hospitals forcing otherwise healthy people to be intubated, then I’ve got nothing for you.

We can discuss data at face value, or we can be skeptical of literally everything. I’m not gonna engage with super conspiracy theories with almost no evidence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, Buddy Spike said:

It's a cold.  

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.  He was going to visit his granny and decided to take a test, come to find out, negative. Just some sort of teenager, get outta school, cold.

(Last part is true. Know a person, got sick, thought rona, fam visit with olds coming up, got a test. Just a cold with cough. Shit, thought colds were extinct these days.)

3 hours ago, Negatory said:

If you look at the countries that already went through Omicron, we are most likely peaking already. Delta followed the same parallel course.

Does not look like hospitals will be overrun. Especially when you consider the massive reduction in hospital stay length from omicron. 

Edited by Lord Ratner

You've got nothing for me because you don't know the facts.  It's all on the internet.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/08/doctors-say-ventilators-overused-for-covid-19/

And if you don't believe that, I went through airline training with a an older fellow who almost died from COVID and he explained exactly what's in the article above because he refused the ventilator.  His sister, a nurse, actually told him to refuse the ventilator in favor of a BiPAP machine w/O2 (and slept on his stomach) for 3 weeks in the hospital, which is most likely what kept him alive.  He had a pulse/ox of 82% when he got to the hospital. Doctors are trigger happy with the ventilators, again, because they get money for using them.  They don't get money for using a BiPAP machine.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Negatory said:

If you think the fact that we have multiple orders of magnitude more people on ventilators for respiratory distress than previous years is due largely to hospitals forcing otherwise healthy people to be intubated, then I’ve got nothing for you.

We can discuss data at face value, or we can be skeptical of literally everything. I’m not gonna engage with super conspiracy theories with almost no evidence.

Due to Omicron?  

Prove it.

It's an upper respiratory variant.  

Edited by Buddy Spike