COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

That's a little disconcerting. Did you ever find out why? I recommend googling "swollen armpit lymphnodes" extensively to see what conditions could cause this. You know... conditions that might have developed after getting the vaccine. Purely coincidentally, of course.
I did. Apparently it's "normal" and means the vaccine is "working". Haven't gotten my second shot yet. I was supposed to get it a week ago, but have been on the road with my airline job and have put it off a bit. I have been a little leary about the second since it is supposedly worse than the first one. Looks like the ANG deadline is 2 Dec to be fully vaccinated. What's creapy is that Walgreen's system updated ASIMS for me automatically. Didn't know they were linked somehow.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, torqued said:

Your first response was a copy and paste of another comment stating that there is no evidence that the vaccine increases the risk of heart problems.

Then, your very next comment states that that there may actually be and increased chance of heart problems and that we should consider the risk.

Which is it?

Your responses immediately brought this quote to mind. Not accusing you of it, it's just amusing.

"To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself -- that was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed."

My first response was 100% written by me. Show me anywhere on the internet it’s copied. Are you referencing the portion of the post that I clearly say is a quote?

There is no evidence presented in your non peer-reviewed, flawed study that the vaccine specifically causes increased CAEs in teen males. The purpose of my post was primarily to point out your issues with sources.

But because I actually like science, I looked into the actual hypothesis of whether or not CAEs increase with the vaccine compared to the unvaccinated (your study never looked at this). And I looked into whether vaccination is worse than a COVID infection. When I found that it may actually be true, I said so and cited an actually well conducted, peer-reviewed study.

And here’s the results for an actual study that compares effects of Covid infection to Covid vaccination:

FFF89294-6222-480C-9657-E3AFB400CD6C.webp.54dc70215701e43167715eb32dca286d.webp

You’ll note there is a significant increase of lymphadenopathy - or swollen lymph nodes. But you’ll also notice that every other deleterious effect is less prevalent in the vaccinated group.

And here’s the study showing COVID vaccine effects vs control, which is the uninflected population (again, you ignored it in the last one):

7F633552-EB52-4770-903C-64CC6B9B9E90.thumb.jpeg.8b548340217d151e20af7cf5745fda98.jpeg

You’ll note that the increase myocarditis was 21 in the vaccinated group vs 6 in the control group. You’ll see multiple small statistics like this, including a significant reduction of kidney injury (20 vs 45), arthritis (64 vs 70), intracranial hemorrhage (13 v 30), and arrythmia (298 v 378). But I didn’t see your post about all of the unexpected benefits of the shot?

Edited by Negatory

23 minutes ago, torqued said:

"To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself -- that was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed."

And your response, inability to address my thought out response, and ultimately you topping it off with this self righteous quote reminded me of an old favorite:

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” 

See also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Negatory said:

My first response was 100% written by me. Show me anywhere on the internet it’s copied. Are you referencing the portion of the post that I clearly say is a quote?

There is no evidence presented in your non peer-reviewed, flawed study that the vaccine specifically causes increased CAEs in teen males. The purpose of my post was primarily to point out your issues with sources.

But because I actually like science, I looked into the actual hypothesis of whether or not CAEs increase with the vaccine compared to the unvaccinated (your study never looked at this). And I looked into whether vaccination is worse than a COVID infection. When I found that it may actually be true, I said so and cited an actually well conducted, peer-reviewed study.

I was just pointing out that your entire argument was lifted from the first comment on the link I posted. Please don't pretend you put on your internet sleuthing hat and searched it out. Minor critique.It really doesn't matter

What does matter is that I apparently didn't prove my point that vaccines present an increased heart problems risk to your satisfaction with the link I provided.

So you went and found another link, that you like better, that says vaccines present an increased risk of heart problems.

Ok. You win.

Uh, Thanks?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Negatory said:

And your response, inability to address my thought out response, and ultimately you topping it off with this self righteous quote reminded me of an old favorite:

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” 

See also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Did you not see the part where I said I wasn't accusing you of anything in the quote? How is that self-righteous? When you contradicted yourself, apparently unaware, it just made me think of it. Kind of makes the "ignorance" jab a bit ironic, does it not? lol

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

Almost like different states, regions, and cities are being affected differently...

Almost like it doesn’t matter what human intervention we take….the rates change due to seasonality regardless of bullshit business closures, idiotic masking of healthy people, and vax rates…..hmmmmmmmmm

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Almost like different states, regions, and cities are being affected differently...

Almost like applying a universal vaccine mandate for everyone, everywhere as if they were all being affected the same doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

Almost like it doesn’t matter what human intervention we take….the rates change due to seasonality regardless of bullshit business closures, idiotic masking of healthy people, and vax rates…..hmmmmmmmmm

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/12/health/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html

Or maybe it's exactly human intervention that's preventing some states from being overwhelmed. 

Nah...I'm sure it's seasonal. 600k people killed each year is a small price to pay for you to puff out your chest about "much freedoms".

• Downvote 5

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/12/health/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html

Or maybe it's exactly human intervention that's preventing some states from being overwhelmed. 

Nah...I'm sure it's seasonal. 600k people killed each year is a small price to pay for you to puff out your chest about "much freedoms".

Ok smart guy explain Sweden and Denmark? 

you’re also pretty fragile for giving neg reps to opinions you don’t like. Very navigator-esque of you!

how much data do you need to see to admit you’re fucking wrong? Masks don’t work. Proven. Lockdowns don’t work. Proven. 

69C999E8-FCFA-4DAD-AD61-C6138A9FEBB4.jpeg

C0A8DDEF-9FB4-4B0F-BB01-1F8E3478EBB0.jpeg

DBCC31C5-90DA-44F0-83D2-328552F06D8F.jpeg

1871DE86-7CF4-46C2-B756-1E040ADE3225.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

Ok smart guy explain Sweden and Denmark? 

you’re also pretty fragile for giving neg reps to opinions you don’t like. Very navigator-esque of you!

how much data do you need to see to admit you’re fucking wrong? Masks don’t work. Proven. Lockdowns don’t work. Proven. 

69C999E8-FCFA-4DAD-AD61-C6138A9FEBB4.jpeg

C0A8DDEF-9FB4-4B0F-BB01-1F8E3478EBB0.jpeg

DBCC31C5-90DA-44F0-83D2-328552F06D8F.jpeg

1871DE86-7CF4-46C2-B756-1E040ADE3225.jpeg

So Bashi's public health advice is just spit into each other's mouths until everyone gets covid, everyone who dies is an acceptable loss?

Pretty arrogant.  But maybe it's that single-seat mentality. Fuck anyone who isn't you...you got yours, your own risk, everyone else just shouldn't be old and fat, it's their own fault.

Brilliant.

• Downvote 6

@BashiChuniAs usual, multiple things can be true at once. 

I don't think you can take a single factor analysis and treat it as gospel simply because someone superimposed two graphs. Saying Israel->mask mandates->huge spike anyway, vs Sweden->no masks->no spike... therefore masks are useless neglects to mention the litany of other variables at play here. 

Demographics, climate, population, population density, when and where a variant hits first, covid approach from the beginning all play a role. Israel and sweden are so different I don't think you can draw a good conclusion from a single factor analysis. 

Having said that, I don't think mask mandates make much of a difference as polling data shows people tend to mask up voluntarily when their perceived risk increases. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pooter said:

Having said that, I don't think mask mandates make much of a difference as polling data shows people tend to mask up voluntarily when their perceived risk increases. 

You're just proving humans are pretty much morons. An individual's perceived risk is the exact wrong reason for them to put on a mask in the first place. The only potential help mask wear offers is to help hinder/prevent passing on germs to others. I grew up in Asia and people wore masks when they were sick and had to go out, otherwise no masks. But now since we have all gone full retard, even in Asia they are wearing masks almost all of the time.

1 hour ago, BrightNeptune said:

What are the details of that separation? 

Non-voluntary separation with the pay that goes with it? Honorable discharge? ADSCs removed?

Email didn't say and I would guess the Bobs are still working those details out.  

My personal guess (disclaimer, I'm speculating) is it would be a General Discharge under Honorable conditions but I wouldn't rule out an Other Than Honorable depending on how the Bobs take a failure to follow a direct order (if there's any JAGs on here they'd have a better idea).  I don't know on the non-voluntary separation pay (my gut feeling is that would be a no due to the circumstances of the discharge but I could be wrong).  If you were discharged over this your ADSC would be removed.  

After the Anthrax shot legal challenge ended my community had an individual refuse a direct order from the Sq/CC to take that vaccine; it didn't go well for him.  He was close to retirement and was ultimately allowed to retire, but that was the only positive for said individual.  

I've said it before but if this is your hill I understand, it's your choice, just be ready to die on it.  All decisions have consequences.  The military isn't going to fuck around with people who refuse a direct order.  Barring some legal challenge that halts COVID vaccinations across the DoD you're going to have to make a decision.  And even then, after the several years it takes the case to work it's way through the courts, the DoD is probably going to prevail and you'll still be faced with the same decision several years later, possibly when you have more invested in the military.

• Upvote 1

What's this? Half?

A great read in the Atlantic:

Our Most Reliable Pandemic Number Is Losing Meaning

A new study suggests that almost half of those hospitalized with COVID-19 have mild or asymptomatic cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torqued said:

Jesus dude take a second to look at statistics for more than just a surface level talking point. 

Covid deaths are extremely closely linked to old age. The elderly are overwhelmingly vaccinated. Like upwards of 90% in the UK. So yes, more vaccinated old people have died in the last six months. Could that be because the denominator is far larger??  Weird.. so a small proportion of a giant denominator can sometimes be larger than a medium proportion of a small denominator. Math is so weird isn't it?!

This is a perfect example of how a garbage interpretation of data can lead to a totally incorrect conclusion. You have to look at the death rate. 1000 deaths in 90% of a demographic is a much much better rate than 500 deaths in 10% of that demographic. 

Edited by Pooter
  • Upvote 1