COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

16 hours ago, pawnman said:

Same reason they make you get the flu shot every year even though relatively few people die of the flu - because if you're sick in bed at home for a week with the flu, that's a week you aren't getting in the cockpit.

Ahh, but there in lies the problem. You are assumingĀ that maintenance is producing enough jets for us to get into the cockpit on a weekly basis. šŸ˜†Ā 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

Oh, the argument only works for Covid, not polio?

Where is your cutoff for vaccines that should be required vs ones that shouldn't be?

Dude we are talking about the medical neccesity of vaccinating people who have already recovered from COVID. This has nothing to do with polio or children. Your arguments make no sense.Ā 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FLEA said:

Dude we are talking about the medical neccesity of vaccinating people who have already recovered from COVID. This has nothing to do with polio or children. Your arguments make no sense.Ā 

Yes, yes, we know that you oppose vaccinations in spite of a wealth of data.

Any argument in favor of vaccines won't make sense to you.

Pawnman serious questionā€¦.whatā€™s your goal end state look like?

copy you want to vaccinate everyone, but whatā€™s next? Any thoughts on people who still catch COVID after taking the shot?

also, were you triggered by the full college football stadiums this weekend?Ā 
donā€™t worry Chicago public health ā€œexpertsā€ said lollapalooza didnā€™t spread the virus so Iā€™m sure stadiums are safe as well.Ā 
Ā 

69C052D3-8DE0-430F-966F-87ACF387E4A3.png

B1867061-EDAD-4975-A0BF-013912519148.jpeg

3 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

Equating polio withĀ COVID is apples to oranges. Itā€™s a non starter for your argument.Ā 

Right...public health protections that use vaccines to reduce risk are entirely incomparable.

Just like seat belts and traffic laws.

The only thing that matters is not taking the Covid vaccine for some reason, after taking a half dozen other vaccines.

I don't have any more arguments for you.Ā  The vaccines reduce the spread.Ā  The vaccines reduce the severity.Ā  The vaccines have a very low rate of side-effects.Ā  I don't have any new arguments for you.Ā  The data has been cited over a dozen times in this thread alone.

Get the vaccines or don't, I don't care.Ā  But if you don't get them, then you're probably gonna be hunting for a new job, and most of the airlines are also pushing people to get vaccines or have some kind of consequences.Ā  The entire federal government is following the DoD's lead on mandatory vaccines.Ā  So...maybe start your own anti-vaxx t-shirt company?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Iā€™m still waiting for motorcycles to be bannedā€¦you know, for public safety.

Why are you bringing up motorcycles in the thread about Covid vaccines?

Equating motorcycles to Covid is apples and oranges...to borrow your phrase.

Polio/TB: much much worse than COVID.

Measle/Mumps/Rubella/Chickenpox:Ā  Not nearly as bad as COVID normally, disproportionately affects kids however.

A COVID vaccine requirement for public schools/military, is perfectly in line with normal practice in America.

Mandatory vaccines generally is less common.Ā  Smallpox the last time?Ā  I honestly don't know.

Ā 

Question for the "anti-vaxxers," something I've been thinking about a bit:

If the Faucis of the world had been completely transparent instead of shaping their comments to the public to get a desired behavior.Ā Ā If the politicians hadn't been completely hypocritical.Ā  If the public had reimbursed businesses for loss due to public action.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Etc.Ā Ā 

Would you be as vehemently against the vaccine?Ā  a mandate?

In other words, how much of your position is based on "not one more fucking inch" vs opposition to this specific thing?

Being honest with myself, I don't think I would have sneezed if all that went away, and this was solely about a mandatory, free vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Why are you bringing up motorcycles in the thread about Covid vaccines?

Equating motorcycles to Covid is apples and oranges...to borrow your phrase.

If you think COVID and polio have the same risk factors for children then youā€™re an idiot. Iā€™m sorry but you are.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

Yes, yes, we know that you oppose vaccinations in spite of a wealth of data.

Any argument in favor of vaccines won't make sense to you.

But I'm not.... So you apparently are unable to follow what's going on.Ā 

I have every vaccine in the DoD inventory, including COVID which I got in February of 21. (One of the earliest) I'm making a stand on ethics and morality and you are simply stuck in a black and white worldview thats selfishly interested in removing bodily autonomy from everyone else so you can go about a normal life again. Get over yourself bro.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, McJay Pilot said:

So... after 102 pages ofĀ discussion and back and forth... does using a seatbelt increase or decrease my odds of getting COVID?

You use a seatbelt?Ā  How can you let the government compromise your autonomy like that?Ā  So few people die in car accidents, seat belts don't even help anyway...

2 hours ago, busdriver said:

Polio/TB: much much worse than COVID.

Measle/Mumps/Rubella/Chickenpox:Ā  Not nearly as bad as COVID normally, disproportionately affects kids however.

A COVID vaccine requirement for public schools/military, is perfectly in line with normal practice in America.

Mandatory vaccines generally is less common.Ā  Smallpox the last time?Ā  I honestly don't know.

Ā 

Question for the "anti-vaxxers," something I've been thinking about a bit:

If the Faucis of the world had been completely transparent instead of shaping their comments to the public to get a desired behavior.Ā Ā If the politicians hadn't been completely hypocritical.Ā  If the public had reimbursed businesses for loss due to public action.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Etc.Ā Ā 

Would you be as vehemently against the vaccine?Ā  a mandate?

In other words, how much of your position is based on "not one more fucking inch" vs opposition to this specific thing?

Being honest with myself, I don't think I would have sneezed if all that went away, and this was solely about a mandatory, free vaccine.

Shack. I'm vaccinated, but I'm completely against the mandatory programs because once your leaders demonstrate they are perfectly comfortable lying to you, trusting them is foolish.Ā 

Ā 

We still don't have hard numbers for ending lockdowns and mask mandates after 20 MONTHS! Really? You have to be intentionally blind to think there's a plan. There isn't. Just like the military, the people who desire and achieve leadership positions in government bureaucracies are largely incapable of operating in an unfamiliar situation. Our system prioritizes individual liberty because the incompetence of leaders in large organizations is an old and persistent phenomenon.Ā 

Ā 

Just look at the totality of the pandemic, not just the mandates you like or the actions that made sense, but the whole timeline, and tell me you want more government control over our lives.

No thanks.

Guest LumberjackAxe

Iā€™m perpetuating some shitty internet practices right now, but Sam Harris had an excellent podcast on this topic (http://samharris.org/subscriber-rss/?uid=109560)Ā and his guest brought up a curious point: that even if you take the worst-case scenario numbers of adverse events from the vaccine (these numbers not coming from the CDC, but from anti-vax sources), and then compare that risk to the risk of an adverse reaction to COVID-19, then itā€™s still a no brainer to get the vaccine.

Ā 

I know the thread has veered toward whether a mandate is good or not, but what do folks think about comparing the risk of getting COVID/hospitalization, versus the an adverse vaccine reaction? Is it even possible?

22 minutes ago, LumberjackAxe said:

Iā€™m perpetuating some shitty internet practices right now, but Sam Harris had an excellent podcast on this topic (http://samharris.org/subscriber-rss/?uid=109560)Ā and his guest brought up a curious point: that even if you take the worst-case scenario numbers of adverse events from the vaccine (these numbers not coming from the CDC, but from anti-vax sources), and then compare that risk to the risk of an adverse reaction to COVID-19, then itā€™s still a no brainer to get the vaccine.

Ā 

I know the thread has veered toward whether a mandate is good or not, but what do folks think about comparing the risk of getting COVID/hospitalization, versus the an adverse vaccine reaction? Is it even possible?

Bingo!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LumberjackAxe said:

I already did that, with the data thatā€™s available (my risk from COVIDĀ vs. VAERS). Itā€™s about equal risk, slightly favoring not taking the vaccine, forĀ the < 50 age group with no underlying med conditions. The bigger elephant in the room is what are the potential long term adverse reactions? Nobody knows, andĀ thatā€™s the biggest factor for many. No one can make any statistically significant argument that immediate adverse reactions equal the driving decision to not get the vaccine, but why get a vaccine that does so little for you (again, the healthy/young crowd specifically) in trade for an unknown longterm risk (could be very low, but could be bad). Also, if youā€™ve had COVID, you are significantly better protected than if you just had the vaccine, so no scientific reason to get the vaccine if youā€™ve managed to already have COVID.Ā 

None of this is a ā€œno brainer;ā€Ā itā€™s dependent on many variables that differ from person to person. To say COVID vaccination is a blanket ā€œobvious,ā€ ā€œno brainer,ā€ etc. decision one way or the other for everyone out there is ignorant, selfish, or both.

Edited by brabus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest LumberjackAxe
1 hour ago, brabus said:

I already did that, with the data thatā€™s available (my risk from COVIDĀ vs. VAERS). Itā€™s about equal risk, slightly favoring not taking the vaccine, forĀ the < 50 age group with no underlying med conditions.Ā 

You may want to rerun your numbers. I just did now, using the CDCā€™s numbers, and came up with the following:

There have been 39,831,318 total COVID cases thus far, and 644,848 of them have died (a 1.6% fatality rate). I got the data for two age groups:

30-39: 5,175,077 cases, 7,162 deaths (0.1% fatality rate)

40-49: 4,579,472 cases, 17,057 deaths (0.4% fatality rate)

There have been 162,027,175 COVID vaccinations fully administered, and 7,086 of them have died (a 0.004% fatality rate) Ā 

25-39: 32,689,055 vaccinations, 162 deaths for 30-39 (0.0005% fatality rate) and 96 deaths for 18-29 (0.0008% fatality rate) (they only had vaccinated rates for 25-39, so I have to estimate the actual rate)

40-49: 22,952,343 vaccinations, 263 deaths (0.001% fatality rate)

You donā€™t have a choice about contracting COVID, but if you do,Ā you (in your age group) have a 0.4% chance of dying. You do have a choice about getting the vaccine, and if you do, you have a 0.001% chance of dying. Thatā€™s a 400-fold difference in favor of getting the vaccine.

For me personally, walking around without the vaccine in the US thereā€™s a very high probability that Iā€™ll contractĀ COVID and if I do a .1% chance of dying. If I get the vaccine, I have a ~.0005% chance of dying. What if I get covid after vaccination? Weā€™ll the only data I could find is that the fatality rate is less than .00%, so Iā€™m open to interpretations there.

COVID killsĀ 0.1%, the vaccine kills .0008%. Thatā€™s the no brainer from me.

Maybe youā€™re interpreting this differently? If so, please educate me.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by LumberjackAxe

2 hours ago, LumberjackAxe said:

Ā 

I used to make this point about autism. Even if you believe that vaccines cause autism (which I don't), the number of autistic kids is way lower than the number of kids killed/ruined by measles, polio, etc. So isn't autism better?

@LumberjackLet me clarify, I have a higher risk of an adverse reaction from the vaccine than the gain in protection I receive from the vaccine. I was not comparing fatality rate. Though in either case, weā€™re splitting hairs. So how important is something that youā€™re arguing takes you from 99.9% to 99.99% survival, but comes with an unknown price tag (long term affects)? Point is, very reasonable to not get it, or get it, depends on the person and their situation. The only insane thing is not accepting that both answers can be right, and itā€™s a personal choice in which is right for an individual.Ā 

I used to make this point about autism. Even if you believe that vaccines cause autism (which I don't), the number of autistic kids is way lower than the number of kids killed/ruined by measles, polio, etc. So isn't autism better?

The hard part in all those is that from the aggregate, as a society, it makes sense to vaccinate given the low likelihood of adverse affects. The benefits to the overall society out weighs the risk to a few within the population.

However, at the individual level, you bear the risk and burden of any realized risk, and society might not (probably won't) step in to assist you. But at the same time, it makes sense for your neighbor to get the vaccine and breast the risk, because you get to read the societal benefit of them getting vaccinated.

So this puts individual choice ("freedom") at odds with what is good for society, even if that societal good benefits the individual. This notion is amplified in the US because we're a very individualistic society.

Like you vaccines and autism example, from a (previous to COVID) antivaxxer, even a small chance of vaccines causing autism (which they don't) is a risk they don't want to take, given that the diseases being vaccinated having been largely eradicated in modern countries (ironically, because of vaccine mandates). The threat of the disease isn't real to them (who gets the measles any more?), but the perceived consequences of taking a preventative action to protect against the disease is viewed as real.

Here's some fun math:

Assuming an infection fatality rate of .4-.7, and going off reported deaths, the virus has penetrated into the US population in the neighborhood of 30-45%.Ā  The population write large is ~53% fully vaccinated.Ā  Obviously neither natural or vaccine immunity is 100% (thanks mutations).Ā  A recent initial study indicated the Delta variant R0 mean was 5 (range 3.2-8) which would mean we'd need somewhere around 80% (range, 69-88%) immunity for herd protection.

Doesn't take into account state by state vaccination rates, or area under the exposure curve (NY got shellacked initially, CA/FL not so much).

Maybe my cynical prediction of another year of this shit was too cynical......

8 hours ago, pawnman said:

Right...public health protections that use vaccines to reduce risk are entirely incomparable.

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

You use a seatbelt?Ā  How can you let the government compromise your autonomy like that?Ā  So few people die in car accidents, seat belts don't even help anyway...

Dude, Polio is significantly worse than COVID - significantly. Like, your chances of dying or being maimed by Polio do make it a non-starter. Consequences matter. And seat belts have no adverse, or potentially adverse affect on you. Vaccines do. It's not more complicated than that, so don't try to make it so.

3 hours ago, LumberjackAxe said:

Leaving aside the fact that Sam Harris is a total pseudo-intellectual, hell yeah, the vaccine is going to diminish your symptoms and the chances you wind up in the ER substantially, so there really is no question from a risk perspective which you should do. Consideration of long-term affects are unknown for both the disease itself and the vaccine, so arguments that rest on that distinction are null. We don't know in either case, and there is no reason to think one would be worse than the other.

1 hour ago, LumberjackAxe said:

You may want to rerun your numbers. I just did now, using the CDCā€™s numbers, and came up with the following:

There have been 39,831,318 total COVID cases thus far, and 644,848 of them have died (a 1.6% fatality rate). I got the data for two age groups:

30-39: 5,175,077 cases, 7,162 deaths (0.1% fatality rate)

40-49: 4,579,472 cases, 17,057 deaths (0.4% fatality rate)

There have been 162,027,175 COVID vaccinations fully administered, and 7,086 of them have died (a 0.004% fatality rate) Ā 

25-39: 32,689,055 vaccinations, 162 deaths for 30-39 (0.0005% fatality rate) and 96 deaths for 18-29 (0.0008% fatality rate) (they only had vaccinated rates for 25-39, so I have to estimate the actual rate)

40-49: 22,952,343 vaccinations, 263 deaths (0.001% fatality rate)

You donā€™t have a choice about contracting COVID, but if you do,Ā you (in your age group) have a 0.4% chance of dying. You do have a choice about getting the vaccine, and if you do, you have a 0.001% chance of dying. Thatā€™s a 400-fold difference in favor of getting the vaccine.

For me personally, walking around without the vaccine in the US thereā€™s a very high probability that Iā€™ll contractĀ COVID and if I do a .1% chance of dying. If I get the vaccine, I have a ~.0005% chance of dying. What if I get covid after vaccination? Weā€™ll the only data I could find is that the fatality rate is less than .00%, so Iā€™m open to interpretations there.

COVID killsĀ 0.1%, the vaccine kills .0008%. Thatā€™s the no brainer from me.

Maybe youā€™re interpreting this differently? If so, please educate me.

All these numbers. A couple things. One, as precise as that "total" number looks and feels, the total number of infections is unknown and we have good reason to think it is MUCH higher - noteĀ that many infections are asymptomatic. Note that there was a recent study that found the presence of COVID antibodies to be 2x as prevalent than expected. 2X is huge. That's the denominator. For the numerator, plenty of context is missing - what % of these people had 1, 2, 3, or more underlying conditions? What percent were obese? COVID has been way more dangerous and detrimental to our politics, economy, and society than Fauci would have us believe.