COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

Guest LumberjackAxe
2 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

Wearing a mask doesn’t work. Nothing works to stop the virus it’s gonna spread bro everyone is gonna get it. Get over yourself and get off your high horse it’s obnoxious. 

glad to see you hold your freedoms in such high regard! Common decency is to let Americans move on with their ING LIVES without you, the CDC, and fauci dictating to us. Scared of the virus? Stay home. Stay safe. Mask up. It’s only two weeks. 

Legit question, I’m not trying to flame, I just don’t go online much, but when you say “Nothing works to stop the virus,” do you include vaccines in that statement? Because my understanding is that if 100% of the population were vaccinated, we’d have a lot fewer people being hospitalized right now—so few that it wouldn’t be any different than a regular season’s flu, thereby reducing the pandemic to just another regular illness. Am I wrong in thinking that way? 

35 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Yes

You're talking crazy.  If everyone where vaccinated, the case load would absolutely be reduced by a large amount.

It would not be reduced to zero.  But it would be a lot less.

Based on the single data point of 1918, I figure we've got another year of this.  So hold on to your butts everyone.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

Vaccines prevent severe illnesses and hospitalization. They don’t stop transmission 

Vaccines reduce the likelihood of catching a disease, and if you do, improve your chances.  If individuals are less likely to catch a disease, then they're less likely to spread it when viewed as a member of an aggregate pool.  Vaccines as a public health tool aren't really about you, they're about the whole community.

The part you highlighted talks about case and vaccination rates.  If a state has a current high case rate, it makes sense they would also have a high current vaccination rate.  People see others getting sick, then go get the shot.  I don't know which article you're referencing, but CNN has multiples talking about this.

Guest LumberjackAxe

Yeah states with the most vaccinations should have the most cases, since all the vaccinated folks are going to concerts without masks etc. The datapoint I want is hospitalizations versus vaccination rates. 

What I would love to see from the Government is using this pandemic as a catalyst to address the obesity and general health in this country. Show how the comorbidities make this so much worse and push healthy lifestyle. Vaccines are fine but that shouldn’t be the only thing. 

I will get nuked by the libertarians here but I would gladly pay more in taxes for healthier school lunches/all food in schools, subsidized organic food production and distribution to drive down cost, and some kind of fitness voucher or something like that. To me, this has shown that much of this country would literally rather die than being told to lose weight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, pawnman said:

Take it up with SECDEF.

They've already kicked one person for refusing the vaccine and mask.  I'm pretty sure there's about to be a bunch more.

I'll be cheering each and every one.

I'm not sure this sounds the same in your head as it does to the rest of us. I'm vaccinated and you sound like a twat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I’ve definitely been a pro-vax advocate on this forum, but I’ve been digging into some of the natural immunity studies that have been linked. Another one was just released in preprint that shows that natural immunity is 7-13 times more effective than 2 dose Pfizer:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Negatory said:

I’ve definitely been a pro-vax advocate on this forum, but I’ve been digging into some of the natural immunity studies that have been linked. Another one was just released in preprint that shows that natural immunity is 7-13 times more effective than 2 dose Pfizer:

Keep pulling that thread, brother. See where it takes you.

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 8.43.22 AM.png

Edited by torqued

3 hours ago, Negatory said:

Which in no way takes away from the success of the vaccine.

But it sure does remove legitimacy from the very aggressive push for mandatory vaccination in a wide range of career fields (like airline pilot and military).

And now we are already talking about booster shots, after less than a year. I suspect many will want those to be mandatory as well.

I'm a big science advocate, but I've never heard of a single medical research subject being mastered to the point of directing legally compelled participation in less than a year. There's no such thing as experts on new diseases, and COVID 19 is still very new. It's not a coincidence that overwhelmingly the "pro-vax" people are democrats and the "anti-vax" people are republican. Like everything else in the modern world of social media and 24-hour news, it's about what team you're on, not facts.

Edited by Lord Ratner
  • Upvote 2

Here’s an honest question for the pro-big government types on here:

Now that military members are being forced to take a covid shot (or risk the negative consequences if no approved waiver), why then isn’t the military mandating members take the Pfizer vaccine vs taking the Moderna or JJ?  According to big-government, Pfizer is more effective than JJ, so why give someone the option of taking a less effective shot that isn’t even the one fully approved by the FDA?  If the entire reason for the mandated vaccine is that it protects us, why wouldn’t the DoD want us to take the best one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeloDude said:

Now that military members are being forced to take a covid shot (or risk the negative consequences if no approved waiver), why then isn’t the military mandating members take the Pfizer vaccine vs taking the Moderna or JJ?  According to big-government, Pfizer is more effective than JJ, so why give someone the option of taking a less effective shot that isn’t even the one fully approved by the FDA?  If the entire reason for the mandated vaccine is that it protects us, why wouldn’t the DoD want us to take the best one?

Pfizer is the only one you ARE mandated to take.  The others are still under an EUA (remember when no one was going to take an unapproved vaccine?).  

Pfizer is the only one you ARE mandated to take.  The others are still under an EUA (remember when no one was going to take an unapproved vaccine?).  
However, all of them count. If you have gotten the Moderna or J&J, all you need to do is show your clinic your vaccine card and they will add it to your military shot record.
  • Upvote 1

Guest LumberjackAxe

I view vaccine mandates the same as drug use and testing. A company is completely within their rights as a private company to randomly test employees for liver enzymes to detect excessive alcohol consumption, and fire you if you drink too much. There’s nothing illegal about drinking a lot, and there’s nothing illegal about them firing you for drinking a lot. If you think that’s bullshit, then you choose to work somewhere else.

Same thing with vaccine mandate. There’s nothing illegal about staying unvaccinated, and there’s nothing illegal about companies firing you for choosing to be unvaccinated. If you think that’s bullshit, then you choose to work somewhere else. 

what about the military where we don’t have a choice? Well, I’m kind of split on this one, I can totally see both sides but I think I’m more on the side of being okay with mandatory vaccinations for reasons relating to the aforementioned example of a COVID outbreak on a nuclear sub hindering the mission, but I could be persuaded. 

3 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

Which in no way takes away from the success of the vaccine.

But it sure does remove legitimacy from the very aggressive push for mandatory vaccination in a wide range of career fields (like airline pilot and military).

And now we are already talking about booster shots, after less than a year. I suspect many will want those to be mandatory as well.

I'm a big science advocate, but I've never heard of a single medical research subject being mastered to the point of directing legally compelled participation in less than a year. There's no such thing as experts on new diseases, and COVID 19 is still very new. It's not a coincidence that overwhelmingly the "pro-vax" people are democrats and the "anti-vax" people are republican. Like everything else in the modern world of social media and 24-hour news, it's about what team you're on, not facts.

I really only see it affecting my views on policy implementation. I think I am still in support of immunity for everyone. I’m fine with mandatory vaccines for folks that haven’t had COVID. But it doesn’t really pass the common sense test to force folks that have had COVID to get vaccinated if they already have pretty great immunity.

Yes, I saw the study that shows that folks that previously had COVID that got vaccinated did better than folks that had COVID that weren’t vaccinated. But at what point is someone safe enough? If they already have better immunity than just the shot, do they need super double plus immunity just so everyone has had the vaccine?

It’s seems to be more about compliance than efficacy.

2 hours ago, HeloDude said:

As @pawnman said, they did exactly what you were complaining about here. Pfizer is the only one mandated - check the memo.

This sort of arguing with half truths is why a lot of these discussions go nowhere. You asking the question the way you did is easily construed as misinformation. You didn’t ask “is Pfizer mandated?” You asked why “isn’t the military mandating members to take the Pfizer vaccine” as if you looked it up, found out they weren’t, and then brought new information to this forum. But 10 seconds of your own research would have shown that is exactly what happened.

If you’re trying to say that we should be arguing that if you got Moderna it shouldn’t count and you should be forced to get Pfizer, you’re creating a nothing burger argument that no one is going to bite off on. I think we can all agree that the military allowing Moderna/JJ to count is in everyone’s best interest, as the research so far shows that there is no reason to believe they are significantly less effective - they just haven’t finished the FDA process yet.

On a completely different note, this pandemic has highlighted that much of these efforts overwhelmingly support the obese and those who choose to be unhealthy. Just as I think that unvaccinated folks that get very ill with Covid chose their fate, to the extent that they could have been protected and weren’t, I believe the same for those that are extremely out of shape. I hope that at some point we have an honest look at improving that elephant in the room.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/78-of-covid-19-patients-hospitalized-in-the-us-overweight-or-obese-cdc-finds.html

Edited by Negatory

28 minutes ago, Negatory said:

I really only see it affecting my views on policy implementation. I think I am still in support of immunity for everyone. I’m fine with mandatory vaccines for folks that haven’t had COVID. But it doesn’t really pass the common sense test to force folks that have had COVID to get vaccinated if they already have pretty great immunity.

Yes, I saw the study that shows that folks that previously had COVID that got vaccinated did better than folks that had COVID that weren’t vaccinated. But at what point is someone safe enough? If they already have better immunity than just the shot, do they need super double plus immunity just so everyone has had the vaccine?

It’s seems to be more about compliance than efficacy.

Furthermore they are directing a medical procedure without being able to demonstrate medical neccesity. This is potentially in violation of most health ethics. 

12 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Furthermore they are directing a medical procedure without being able to demonstrate medical neccesity. This is potentially in violation of most health ethics. 

Do you feel the same about all the other vaccines you got?

I mean...when was the last time an American died of polio...does that mean we shouldn't be mandating polio vaccines for kids to go to school?