COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

21 minutes ago, joe1234 said:

United mandating vaccines for employees:

https://apnews.com/article/business-health-coronavirus-pandemic-airlines-e8eef8e8f11d4924b81768484e5401a1

Rumors are that Delta's not far behind. Multiple Fortune 500 companies are issuing mandates. And of course, DoD is about to cave, too.

It'll be interesting to see how forthright these freedom-loving patriots are when their income is threatened.

Well if your choice is starving or getting the vaccine you aren't really free to make a choice are you? 

• Upvote 4

Just now, FLEA said:

Well if your choice is starving or getting the vaccine you aren't really free to make a choice are you? 

I suppose there's always welfare. 

After all, liberals love to say the same thing about jobs...

5 minutes ago, pawnman said:

I suppose there's always welfare. 

After all, liberals love to say the same thing about jobs...

I don't disagree with liberals assesment about jobs. I would love to see some more society protect to give people some breathing room enabling them to take more risk later in life. Would be great if I could just up and quit work to full time search for a potentially better opportunity. 

14 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Well, over 90% of the UAL pilot group is already vaccinated after being offered a few hours of extra pay to get it. I suspect that population is much like the one here in that it has more than it’s fair share of vaccine skeptics. Apparently, a good chunk of the skeptics were willing to put their very strong feelings and concerns aside for a few extra bucks. I’m sure there will be some holdouts in the remaining 10% who refuse. I’m sure Transair or NAC would happily hire them after UAL lets them go. Also, I hear we are critically short of truck drivers. So, yeah, they have a choice. 

• Upvote 4

I enjoyed Mike Rowe's comments, especially the part about "all in the same boat."

For so many Americans, this has been a horrific, frightening, devastating time.  For millions of others, this pandemic has been the greatest thing they can imagine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Well, over 90% of the UAL pilot group is already vaccinated after being offered a few hours of extra pay to get it. I suspect that population is much like the one here in that it has more than it’s fair share of vaccine skeptics. Apparently, a good chunk of the skeptics were willing to put their very strong feelings and concerns aside for a few extra bucks. I’m sure there will be some holdouts in the remaining 10% who refuse. I’m sure Transair or NAC would happily hire them after UAL lets them go. Also, I hear we are critically short of truck drivers. So, yeah, they have a choice. 

That’s not reasonable to expect an airline pilot to change careers because they don’t want a medical procedure.

55 minutes ago, dogfish78 said:

That’s not reasonable to expect an airline pilot to change careers because they don’t want a medical procedure.

Private company, they get to make the rules...or does that only apply to drug testing?

One thing this pandemic has been good for is watching left and right swap talking points.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Private company, they get to make the rules...or does that only apply to drug testing?

One thing this pandemic has been good for is watching left and right swap talking points.

Haha I will agree with you on that one. But I think it's more the hypocrisy that exist in both sides. 

6 hours ago, FLEA said:

the choice is to be employed there or not, which you are definitely free to make.

54 minutes ago, Day Man said:

the choice is to be employed there or not, which you are definitely free to make.

783308C1-D0F7-4C07-9820-CC167537A386.jpeg

On 8/5/2021 at 7:02 PM, tac airlifter said:

Quote for me exactly where I said “intentional bioweapon release.”  Because I specifically said accidentally funded.  No idea why it was released; but an accident is more plausible than intentional to me.

Your entire post is predicated on me saying something I did not say.  

Then don't call it a "Chinese bioweapon." When you call it a bioweapon that implies a high level of intentionality both in the development and release of the virus.  Words mean things. If what you actually think is it was a lab accident then just say that and resist the temptation to get hyperbolic. 

It sounds like we actually agree on this, for what it's worth. 

Then don't call it a "Chinese bioweapon." When you call it a bioweapon that implies a high level of intentionality both in the development and release of the virus.  Words mean things. If what you actually think is it was a lab accident then just say that and resist the temptation to get hyperbolic. 

Just because you read into it and think it says that doesn’t mean that it’s what it implies. Just because he said bioweapon doesn’t mean that he said it was intentionally released. If you have questions about what he means then ask. Don’t put words in his mouth or tell him he needs to say one thing or another. We are getting dangerously close to forced speech. But that doesn’t mean you can tell any of us what to say and we can’t tell you what to say. Just that you are being disingenuous.

3 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Just because you read into it and think it says that doesn’t mean that it’s what it implies. Just because he said bioweapon doesn’t mean that he said it was intentionally released. If you have questions about what he means then ask. Don’t put words in his mouth or tell him he needs to say one thing or another. We are getting dangerously close to forced speech. But that doesn’t mean you can tell any of us what to say and we can’t tell you what to say. Just that you are being disingenuous.

You can say whatever you want. But don't get upset when you use ridiculous, over dramatic labels for things and then other people take those labels to their logical conclusions. 

While we're at it, why not call it an American bioweapon? We helped fund the research after all..

• Upvote 3

You can say whatever you want. But don't get upset when you use ridiculous, over dramatic labels for things and then other people take those labels to their logical conclusions. 

While we're at it, why not call it an American bioweapon? We helped fund the research after all..

I wasn’t upset and they weren’t my comments. Take a breather. You’re getting all worked up over your own words.

Feel free to unbunch your undies

On 8/6/2021 at 2:20 AM, Pooter said:

The idea this is an intentional bioweapon is just pure silliness. If you made a bioweapon to mess with the US why would the epicenter of the release be in your own country? Why would you choose an airborne, difficult to control, and not particularly deadly disease? Not to mention, we all know lockdowns and masking don't stop the problem, and China has many of the largest, most dense cities in the world which were "magically" not hit hard like every single other city in the world was. Now do we think this is because they beat covid? Or maybe they're lying about their numbers. Which do you think is easier for the government to pull off?

Lockdowns certainly increased the benefits of buying abroad and through the internet. China specializes in outsourcing goods and shipments. Can’t imagine how any sort of lockdowns (stifling local purchasing) would benefit the economic hegemony China enjoys…/s

1 hour ago, war007afa said:

Lockdowns certainly increased the benefits of buying abroad and through the internet. China specializes in outsourcing goods and shipments. Can’t imagine how any sort of lockdowns (stifling local purchasing) would benefit the economic hegemony China enjoys…/s

Suggest anyone here who is interested in China’s recent rise and what it’s future holds watch the four part “China’s Reckoning” series on the Polymatter YouTube channel. China is facing serious issues, and while it’s meteoric rise to major world power status is concerning, it hardly enjoys economic hegemony on the world stage. 

Very interesting in depth article  in a recent Vanity Fair (august..it has Dua Lipa in scanty duds on the cover)  ......(don't ax)...........Extensive discussion on the evidence that strongly supports an accidental release of -19 ...Ya gotta wade thru it but it's pretty convincing...There will be a test.    I never knew who Dua Lipa is....

16 hours ago, Pooter said:

I think we mostly agree: words mean things.  Chinese military scientists made a virus more transmissible & deadly.  That involves a high degree of intentionality as you say.  We helped fund it (naively thinking “gain of function” is something other than weaponization).  You might not like the nomenclature, but that is a bioweapon dude.  Whether those scientist meant it to be a weapon or not I don’t know, but surely you don’t think PLA involvement was altruistic?  That I think lab escape was accidental is irrelevant to my language.

The only way this conversation is productive is if we all assume the best intentions of each other.  It’s not hyperbole for me to label something a weapon when military scientists are intentionally increasing lethality.  But I understand why you are sensitive to potential hyperbole; emotion poisons logic.  If you want to call it something else that doesn’t bother me and I’d prefer to focus on areas we agree.

All that said, what do you think we can do to China to combat what they’ve done to our economy?  How can we fight back at something that has hurt us, and must be defended against, but does not look like the traditional war we have trained for?  These are the questions that can unite us.

• Like 1