COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

2 hours ago, Motofalcon said:

Actually, what he said (from the article you linked) was:

"Every federal government employee will be asked to attest to their vaccination status. Anyone who does not attest or is not vaccinated will be required to mask no matter where they work, test one or two times a week to see if they've acquired Covid, socially distance, and generally will not be allowed to travel for work,"

So the vaccine is NOT mandatory, but if you don’t get vaccinated you will still have to mask and be tested regularly, along with no work travel/TDYs. Which is already how some bases were operating before this statement was made. 

Sweet, no pointless deployments to 3rd world self imploding shitholes, sounds good to me.

*To be clear, that’s sarcastic, I would guess that would get you on the non deployable list and kicked out or something. 

15 minutes ago, viper154 said:

Sweet, no pointless deployments to 3rd world self imploding shitholes, sounds good to me.

*To be clear, that’s sarcastic, I would guess that would get you on the non deployable list and kicked out or something. 

Keep the bonus money AND get to the airlines earlier? That would definitely be a pro Air Force move. 

• Like 1

Here's the thing I'm struggling with.

I got COVID really early on in the pandemic. I think I even posted about it on here at the time. Knocked me on my ass for a few days, but I rebounded quickly, and had no lasting effects. Perks of being young (relatively) and without co-morbidities I suppose.

I have natural immunity to the virus as a result. I haven't gone and taken the vaccine yet, because the data on re-infection is pretty clearly showing it doesn't happen very often, and I don't seem to be a good carrier of the virus, even with the Delta variant. However, I'm constantly being pressured to get this vaccine, because it's "better than natural immunity," even though it (admittedly rarely) has side effects, and hasn't been shown to do anything else for me other than make my antibodies last for a few months longer. Woohoo.

I'm not seeing the cost/benefit as being worth it right now. That easily could change, and if the DoD says I have to... then that's fine. However, I'm being treated by the state and national rhetoric outlets as some kinds of a backwards idiot, because I'm one of the "unvaccinated."

I promise I'm reading more medical journals and info than some dipshit who thinks Bill Gates is microchipping folks. I bet I'm also doing more research than the people who are chastising folks for not having the shot, because they actually believe "the science."

Bottom line, the rhetoric on this stuff is fucked.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

Here's the thing I'm struggling with.

I got COVID really early on in the pandemic. I think I even posted about it on here at the time. Knocked me on my ass for a few days, but I rebounded quickly, and had no lasting effects. Perks of being young (relatively) and without co-morbidities I suppose.

I have natural immunity to the virus as a result. I haven't gone and taken the vaccine yet, because the data on re-infection is pretty clearly showing it doesn't happen very often, and I don't seem to be a good carrier of the virus, even with the Delta variant. However, I'm constantly being pressured to get this vaccine, because it's "better than natural immunity," even though it (admittedly rarely) has side effects, and hasn't been shown to do anything else for me other than make my antibodies last for a few months longer. Woohoo.

I'm not seeing the cost/benefit as being worth it right now. That easily could change, and if the DoD says I have to... then that's fine. However, I'm being treated by the state and national rhetoric outlets as some kinds of a backwards idiot, because I'm one of the "unvaccinated."

I promise I'm reading more medical journals and info than some dipshit who thinks Bill Gates is microchipping folks. I bet I'm also doing more research than the people who are chastising folks for not having the shot, because they actually believe "the science."

Bottom line, the rhetoric on this stuff is ed.

Same boat. Vaccine is not panacea and may not be for everyone, yet seems to be treated like a one size fits all operation. Truth is there is insufficient data to support that the vaccine will benefit previously infected individuals. Don’t believe me, read all of the decision memorandums written by the FDA on the Johnson vaccine, on the Modena vaccine, and Pfizer vaccine:

Moderna insufficient dataJohnson insufficient dataPfizer insufficient data

but pipe down and follow the sCiEnceee….

Edited by glockenspiel
  • Upvote 2

I had Covid, very mild to the point I was flying 3 sorties with it and didn’t know.

I got the first dose of moderna (felt worse than actual covid) and then my base ran out so I never got the 2nd shot.

From everything I’ve read, one dose gives me 80% effectiveness, some readings say 95% since I already had the virus.

I’m not against the 2nd shot, just not a priority.

When I’m asked if I’m vaccinated I say yes. Is it official that I need both shots?

4 hours ago, di1630 said:

I had Covid, very mild to the point I was flying 3 sorties with it and didn’t know.

I got the first dose of moderna (felt worse than actual covid) and then my base ran out so I never got the 2nd shot.

From everything I’ve read, one dose gives me 80% effectiveness, some readings say 95% since I already had the virus.

I’m not against the 2nd shot, just not a priority.

When I’m asked if I’m vaccinated I say yes. Is it official that I need both shots?

As I understand the current state of things, by forsaking your 2nd shot you are a diabolical enemy of the state who takes joy in killing innocent people.

Of course, updated CDC guidance may be forthcoming at any time.

4 months ago if you had the shot and didn’t wear your mask then you were labeled a grandma killer, you know, because science…then a short time later, you were told you didn’t need to wear a mask because you did your duty and got the shot (because you didn’t want to kill grandma).  Now if you’ve had the shot and you don’t wear your mask then you want to kill grandma…you know, because science.

Keep in mind that John Kerry literally used the words “settled science” wrt global warming.  And if you say “pregnant mother” (see link below) then you’re a horrible person because somehow men can now have babies.

If you still think this stuff isn’t political then you’ll never see it…

https://www.dailywire.com/news/university-of-california-medical-prof-apologizes-for-saying-pregnant-women

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HeloDude said:

Again, it’s on the internet so it must be true right? I see that dailywire, rebel news, and a couple other alternative “journalism” sites are carrying this story. The professor is not named, nor is the university other than that it was in the UC system (crazy Californians, amirite?). Sorry, but I call bullshit on this one. Simply another case of media creating something out of nothing to keep you engaged in the culture wars. 

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Guardian said:

What’s your proof that it is bogus?

Jesus! It’s on the fucking writer making the allegations to provide proof. Are we living in fucking bizarro world now? Your mom is a hermaphrodite. Where’s your proof that it’s bogus? 

• Like 1

Jesus is your proof? Guessing that’s not how you meant that.

No need to get emotional. The writer of that article gives a reference in the second paragraph. So I don’t know why you are against providing your rational other than it seems you don’t like daily wire so it must be bogus. That’s my guess of your statement based on your emotional response and lack of an answer.

1 minute ago, Guardian said:

Jesus is your proof? Guessing that’s not how you meant that.

No need to get emotional. The writer of that article gives a reference in the second paragraph. So I don’t know why you are against providing your rational other than it seems you don’t like daily wire so it must be bogus. That’s my guess of your statement based on your emotional response and lack of an answer.

The reference is for some lady’s blog. Hardly an authoritative source. But if you’re so insistent that I should be the one to prove the story is wrong, I’ll admit, I have none. Now you can answer my question. Where’s YOUR proof that your mother is not a hermaphrodite? I will accept a long form birth certificate and/or pics (preferably both). 

I'm just a pilot like most of the people here commenting.  We all deal with risk mitigation every day, as well as policies and rules that are smart and those that are dumb and those that are political.  It's nothing new.

I am not a doctor but know enough about math to be statistically literate.  I do like Nassim Talebs ideas on risk mitigation. Specifically "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

The vaccine might be almost 100% safe.  It might have major long term side effects.  There is no long term data on mRNA vaccines.  There will be in the future because so many people are being vaccinated right now.  A huge sampling pool will lead to some very accurate future analysis.  I just have no interest in being part of that pool.

As a relatively young healthy dude who has probably already had COVID I can see no real upside to getting a vaccine and a lot of downsides.  The way I see it, it's little different than investing in options in the market that have a probable gain but might bankrupt you. 

I did the mortality math a year ago and flying a single fighter training sortie had the same mortality for me as COVID.

Why is the government and the media pushing for this so hard?  THAT to me is creepy as  hell.

edit - spelling

Edited by billy pilgrim
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Prozac said:

Again, it’s on the internet so it must be true right? I see that dailywire, rebel news, and a couple other alternative “journalism” sites are carrying this story. The professor is not named, nor is the university other than that it was in the UC system (crazy Californians, amirite?). Sorry, but I call bullshit on this one. Simply another case of media creating something out of nothing to keep you engaged in the culture wars. 

Let me guess…if this was from the Washington Post, NYT, Newsweek, CNN, etc then you probably wouldn’t have questioned the source…

Well, here’s Newsweek saying Biden’s own administration is on the same push.  

”Biden Admin Replaces ‘Mothers’ with ‘Birthing People’ in Maternal Health Guidance.”

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-admin-replaces-mothers-birthing-people-maternal-health-guidance-1598343?amp=1

46 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Let me guess…if this was from the Washington Post, NYT, Newsweek, CNN, etc then you probably wouldn’t have questioned the source…

Well, here’s Newsweek saying Biden’s own administration is on the same push.  

”Biden Admin Replaces ‘Mothers’ with ‘Birthing People’ in Maternal Health Guidance.”

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-admin-replaces-mothers-birthing-people-maternal-health-guidance-1598343?amp=1

While I agree the use of the term “berthing people” is odd and a bit ridiculous, a government agency using gender neutral language is hardly the same thing as a medical professor apologizing for implying only females can give birth, which, I do not believe actually happened. 

We’ve drifted the thread pretty far here, so let me restate my point: There are myriad actors out there putting out misinformation and downright lies. Their motivations are varied but said motivations don’t generally involve what’s best for you, your health, or the continued existence of American exceptionalism. I find it curious that so many conservatives who lament the lack of critical thinking in modern America are quick to believe just about anything posted on the internet that fits their tribe’s narrative.  

51 minutes ago, Prozac said:

While I agree the use of the term “berthing people” is odd and a bit ridiculous, a government agency using gender neutral language is hardly the same thing as a medical professor apologizing for implying only females can give birth, which, I do not believe actually happened. 

So a college professor, at progressive school in California, apologizing for not using a woke term is not believable to you?  Really?

How about this from Harvard?

“Affordable, timely, high-quality, equitable, and dignified care during and after pregnancy is essential for all birthing people.”

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/advancing-maternal-justice-on-both-sides-of-the-atlantic-2020100821100

5 hours ago, Prozac said:

The reference is for some lady’s blog. 

Katie Herzog is a reporter, and was a staff writer for "The Stranger," which is a very left wing Seattle paper.  She's also a lefty lesbian.

Bari Weiss is a former New York Times reporter, also left of center and married to a woman.

It's a far cry from "some lady's blog."  And it sure as hell isn't a Newsmax/OANN fever dream.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prozac said:

The reference is for some lady’s blog. Hardly an authoritative source. But if you’re so insistent that I should be the one to prove the story is wrong, I’ll admit, I have none. Now you can answer my question. Where’s YOUR proof that your mother is not a hermaphrodite? I will accept a long form birth certificate and/or pics (preferably both). 

I’ve pointed it out before….   Deny, deny, counter accuse.  It’s a classic technique used by the left.  

• Upvote 2

Why is the government and the media pushing for this so hard?  THAT to me is creepy as  hell.

edit - spelling

Well I had to register a new account here because for some reason I haven't been able to get into my original one, which I've had for almost two decades.  No luck from the "Contact Us" option either, but enough about that.

First off, I haven't gotten "the shot" yet.  I dpn't categorize myself as an "anti-vaxxer" though and I have a 2-1/2  page shot record to prove it, but with that being said, I am definitely not keen on putting something in my body to alter my immune system that has only been tested for "emergency use".  Not to mention that COVID vaccines were a goldmine for Big Pharma.

This is very similar to the Anthrax vaccine and a lot of military members got kicked out for refusing to get it.  How soon we forget about THAT debacle about two decades ago.  There were a lot of people who dodged that shot for years (me included) and now you don't even hear about it anymore after the FDA mysteriously approved it after the GAO concluded their investigation. Today, "kids" walk into the clinic with their sleeves held high, no questions asked, for a vaccine I still question the need for. Why do we still get? Smoke and mirrors and the fact the DoD spent over $1B on the AVIP. The difference here is that the general public was not told they had to get the Anthrax vaccine.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2021/06/17/troops-who-refused-anthrax-vaccine-paid-a-high-price/

Why is the government pushing vaccination so hard? Just like anything else in this world, it's all about the money...

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN28X1GC

I chose not to get the COVID vaccine (yet) because of the research showing good evidence that the MMR2 vaccine provides some defense against COVID. I've had my two-shot series within the last 4 years. I think I'll take my chances.

https://www.news-medical.net/amp/news/20210505/Prior-MMR-or-Tdap-vaccination-may-reduce-risk-of-severe-COVID-19.aspx

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/measles-vaccine-used-base-experimental-covid-vaccine

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheNewGazmo said:

Well I had to register a new account here because for some reason I haven't been able to get into my original one, which I've had for almost two decades.  No luck from the "Contact Us" option either, but enough about that.

First off, I haven't gotten "the shot" yet.  I dpn't categorize myself as an "anti-vaxxer" though and I have a 2-1/2  page shot record to prove it, but with that being said, I am definitely not keen on putting something in my body to alter my immune system that has only been tested for "emergency use".  Not to mention that COVID vaccines were a goldmine for Big Pharma.

This is very similar to the Anthrax vaccine and a lot of military members got kicked out for refusing to get it.  How soon we forget about THAT debacle about two decades ago.  There were a lot of people who dodged that shot for years (me included) and now you don't even hear about it anymore after the FDA mysteriously approved it after the GAO concluded their investigation. Today, "kids" walk into the clinic with their sleeves held high, no questions asked, for a vaccine I still question the need for. Why do we still get? Smoke and mirrors and the fact the DoD spent over $1B on the AVIP. The difference here is that the general public was not told they had to get the Anthrax vaccine.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2021/06/17/troops-who-refused-anthrax-vaccine-paid-a-high-price/

Why is the government pushing vaccination so hard? Just like anything else in this world, it's all about the money...

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN28X1GC

I chose not to get the COVID vaccine (yet) because of the research showing good evidence that the MMR2 vaccine provides some defense against COVID. I've had my two-shot series within the last 4 years. I think I'll take my chances.

https://www.news-medical.net/amp/news/20210505/Prior-MMR-or-Tdap-vaccination-may-reduce-risk-of-severe-COVID-19.aspx

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/measles-vaccine-used-base-experimental-covid-vaccine

DM me your situation... old username, email attached to said username....etc

• Upvote 1