COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

6 hours ago, Alpharatz said:

I don't have the computer/math chops..but it would be interesting to run some numbers on what would happen if you could simulate a mass refusal of the Polio and Smallpox vaccines many years ago..but figure in the modern mass communication system...Since it appears that humans are suckers for just about anything that is presented with the skills of ?   well...THAT is yet another study...Oh to be young..the PhD's will be flyin....and I ain't lyin...

It took the world hundreds of years to eradicate smallpox. I've never read much on polio. Even with laws on the books in the mid 1800s to forbid the small pox vaccine (the UK) and then to mandate it (also the UK) it took until the early 1900s for industrialized countries to almost eliminate it. It was around in East Pakistan (Bangladesh) when I lived there as a kid, but eventually it was eradicated everywhere once vaccines were available to everyone. It was brutal and even with a much smaller world population back then there were 50 to 100 million cases a year and the more severe variant had a 30% death rate. Not exactly an apples to apples virus comparison, if that is the attempt.

1 hour ago, FT11 said:

KSZL back to 100 percent masks on base regardless of vaccination status on Monday…🙄

Too bad we can't trust the unvaccinated people to wear a mask without screaming "HIPAA" at everyone who asks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

My personal take on it is that it’s time to move past the vaccine/not vaccine, mask/no mask discussion…

The vaccine is free and widely available, get it if you want, don’t if you don’t. Wear a mask if you want, don’t if you don’t. Don’t come crying to me when you get COVID, and I won’t come crying to you when I can’t have kids in 3 years. Make your personal choice and let’s get back to business. 

Hopefully this policy stays local to us so no one else has to deal with this painful step backwards 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, FT11 said:

My personal take on it is that it’s time to move past the vaccine/not vaccine, mask/no mask discussion…

The vaccine is free and widely available, get it if you want, don’t if you don’t. Wear a mask if you want, don’t if you don’t. Don’t come crying to me when you get COVID, and I won’t come crying to you when I can’t have kids in 3 years. Make your personal choice and let’s get back to business. 

Hopefully this policy stays local to us so no one else has to deal with this painful step backwards 

Shack.

• Like 1

The HQ I work in put out guidance about two months ago: "vaccinated = no mask. not vaccinated = mask." Since they legally cannot ask, it is on the honor system. I had a good laugh the first day this policy was effective, 90% of the people there were not wearing masks....to include the most anti-vac conspiracy tout'n folks I've ever met.

Fast forward to this past week when the chief of staff puts out an email that says "while we cannot ask if you have had the vaccine, we do know what the vaccinated rates of the staff are. We have noticed a large discrepancy between the vaccinated rate and those not wearing masks inside the building."

Oh no shit? Didn't see that coming.....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, contraildash said:

The HQ I work in put out guidance about two months ago: "vaccinated = no mask. not vaccinated = mask." Since they legally cannot ask, it is on the honor system. I had a good laugh the first day this policy was effective, 90% of the people there were not wearing masks....to include the most anti-vac conspiracy tout'n folks I've ever met.

Fast forward to this past week when the chief of staff puts out an email that says "while we cannot ask if you have had the vaccine, we do know what the vaccinated rates of the staff are. We have noticed a large discrepancy between the vaccinated rate and those not wearing masks inside the building."

Oh no shit? Didn't see that coming.....

And that's how you end up with everyone wearing a mask, because the anti-vaxx people are too selfish and dishonest to follow the guidance without enforcement. 

I'm looking forward to mandatory vaccination for the military. Then we can put a stop to these asinine policies. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

And that's how you end up with everyone wearing a mask, because the anti-vaxx people are too selfish and dishonest to follow the guidance without enforcement. 

I'm looking forward to mandatory vaccination for the military. Then we can put a stop to these asinine policies. 

threw a mask in my bag for work....totally expect a 'everyone will wear diapers' response to this...

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Being vaccinated is no obstacle to having and spreading COVID.  All of our recent positive cases are fully vaccinated.  The whole thing is a charade.

How many ended up dead or hospitalized?  Something like 99% of covid deaths and 97% of hospitalizations since Jan 1st are unvaccinated people.

If everyone is vaccinated then sure, you might catch it...but the severity becomes so low that it doesn't really matter.

Edited by pawnman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tac airlifter said:

Being vaccinated is no obstacle to having and spreading COVID.  All of our recent positive cases are fully vaccinated.  The whole thing is a charade.

Do you have anything at all to back that up? Because its false...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Richard_Butte said:

Do you have anything at all to back that up? Because its false...

I’m fully vaccinated and recently tested positive.  Also, everyone of the positives we’ve had recently have been fully vaccinated— I can see the vaccination status of my members.

There has been a peculiar phenomenon during this entire pandemic: people like you certain that things are true or false without actually knowing at all.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

I’m fully vaccinated and recently tested positive.  Also, everyone of the positives we’ve had recently have been fully vaccinated— I can see the vaccination status of my members.

There has been a peculiar phenomenon during this entire pandemic: people like you certain that things are true or false without actually knowing at all.

So...in over a billion vaccinations worldwide, you present a half dozen individuals as proof that there's no difference in the infection rated between vaccinated and unvaccinated people?

The plural of anecdote is not "data".

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, pawnman said:

So...in over a billion vaccinations worldwide, you present a half dozen individuals as proof that there's no difference in the infection rated between vaccinated and unvaccinated people?

The plural of anecdote is not "data".

UK reporting 40% of COVID hospitalizations are from double vaccinated.  Maybe we can at least agree that more is going on than headlines reveal, and more data with less censorship will help the public be informed.

”your actual experience means nothing because I have government figures indicating otherwise” has proven to be an unconvincing tactic. But I see you will continue using it regardless.

• Upvote 2

And how many of the unvaccinated deaths are people with other risk factors? Are there many military members this would be a factor for? Not talking about the grey beard guard and reserve guys with risk factors. But everyone else.

55 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

UK reporting 40% of COVID hospitalizations are from double vaccinated.  Maybe we can at least agree that more is going on than headlines reveal, and more data with less censorship will help the public be informed.

”your actual experience means nothing because I have government figures indicating otherwise” has proven to be an unconvincing tactic. But I see you will continue using it regardless.

Well, I know a bunch of people who got vaccinated and didn't get covid even after they were exposed.

See, we both have personal experiences. Are you convinced by mine?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Well, I know a bunch of people who got vaccinated and didn't get covid even after they were exposed.

See, we both have personal experiences. Are you convinced by mine?

Yes, I’m convinced the vaccine has an effect.  Clearly I chose to get it.  What exactly the effect is and why it differs between people I don’t know.  Ergo I’m opposed to mandating my children receive it.  And folks telling me my experiences are “false” is unproductive.

13 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

Yes, I’m convinced the vaccine has an effect.  Clearly I chose to get it.  What exactly the effect is and why it differs between people I don’t know.  Ergo I’m opposed to mandating my children receive it.  And folks telling me my experiences are “false” is unproductive.

I didn't say they were false.  Your personal experiences aren't a good way to make policy.

It's like me mandating that the speed limit on the highway is 35 MPH because I know someone who got killed in a car accident doing 65 MPH.  We have reams of data that show what safe speed limits for highways are...my anecdote doesn't invalidate those reams of data.

Similarly, we have a dataset of over a billion people vaccinated, with a very low rate of breakthrough infections and side effects.  Someone telling me their buddy had side effects doesn't undo the millions of people who didn't.  Someone telling me they know a few people who got Covid after getting vaccinated doesn't undo the huge drops in cases where vaccination rates are high.

Here's my data.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-941fcf43d9731c76c16e7354f5d5e187

An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 107,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 1.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/06/14/covid-cases-vaccination-rates/

Counties with high vaccination had low coronavirus rates that are going down. In counties where few people are vaccinated, not only are there higher case rates, but the number of cases there also is growing.

Love to see the data set on 40% of hospitalizations in the UK being vaccinated.

Edited by pawnman
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

I didn't say they were false.  Your personal experiences aren't a good way to make policy.

It's like me mandating that the speed limit on the highway is 35 MPH because I know someone who got killed in a car accident doing 65 MPH.  We have reams of data that show what safe speed limits for highways are...my anecdote doesn't invalidate those reams of data.

Similarly, we have a dataset of over a billion people vaccinated, with a very low rate of breakthrough infections and side effects.  Someone telling me their buddy had side effects doesn't undo the millions of people who didn't.  Someone telling me they know a few people who got Covid after getting vaccinated doesn't undo the huge drops in cases where vaccination rates are high.

Here's my data.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-941fcf43d9731c76c16e7354f5d5e187

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/06/14/covid-cases-vaccination-rates/

Love to see the data set on 40% of hospitalizations in the UK being vaccinated.

Actually this is really plausible and believable. Remember the vaccine only has ~90% efficacy. So 10% of people are still getting COVID. If 100% of people in the UK were vaccinated, 100% of your hospitalizations would be vaccinated. The UK has a very high vaccinated population (70%) that is disproportionately weighted by people who are at risk individuals (were able to be vaccinated earlier.)

Hence, the 10% of 70 people vaccinated probably holds a lot of weight against the 30 unvaccinated people who are predominantly low risk. 

The most important statistic regarding the UK though is their overall hospitalizations which; are only 1/10 of what they were 6 months ago when their infection numbers were nearly identical.

This big pretty problem I see with COVID policy at the moment is we lost sight of the goal. The goal was the reduce casualties by minimizing hospitalizations. Somehow the mindset has shifted to the goal being 0 case #'s. That will never happen and why do we care? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, FLEA said:

The goal was the reduce casualties by minimizing hospitalizations. Somehow the mindset has shifted to the goal being 0 case #'s. That will never happen and why do we care? 

Shack. More people die every day from random accidents (e.g. falling off a ladder) than Covid. Heart disease kills 6x more people daily than Covid. So why is our policy “zero cases!”-driven for something that’s not even in the top 5? Why do we continually move the goalposts on Covid, yet don’t do shit public-policy wise for heart disease prevention/cure, cancer prevention/cure, etc. Covid is a thing and kills people, got it…but the data does not remotely support the totalitarian reaction from the gov/some portions of society, expressed or implied.

Get your shot, or don’t…do what’s best for you and the people you regularly interact with, then STFU about your opinion of what someone else’s personal decision should be.

Edited by brabus
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

I know this doesn’t count, but I also got covid recently after vaccine. Doctor told me that “60% of the people getting it coming in here are vaccinated”. Not scientific but that’s what the doctor told me.

• Like 2

I know this doesn’t count, but I also got covid recently after vaccine. Doctor told me that “60% of the people getting it coming in here are vaccinated”. Not scientific but that’s what the doctor told me.

How severe was your case of Covid?

How severe are the cases that the doctor is seeing in vaccinated people?

if all of the people that got the vaccine and then got Covid or able to fight it off without ending up in the hospital I think that is a win for the vaccinated crowd.
  • Like 1